Orinoco Gold Wireless instaling on Fedora Core 3

Hello,

I just put together a laptop with Fedora Core 3 and a Orinoco Classic
Gold wireless card, when I boot I can go into the network settings and
it is detected correctly but the question is how to configure it? I
have read that I need to install additional, recompiling the kernel,
configuring files that are not on the system.

I tried the Fedora Core + Kismet How-To Version 3.4 document but I
don't have the same directories as is detailed in the doc. I have
searched the forums and the sites but I haven't found much.

Does anyone know of a good document to step me through configuring the
Orinoco card with Fedoa Core 3? I haven't worked on Linux in years so
it is almost like starting over but I'd rather use Linux over Windows
especially for wireless.

Thank you!

Tory
1 answer Last reply
More about orinoco gold wireless instaling fedora core

    Hi,
    On all wireless interfaces in Linux, you use 'ifconfig' to set the usual IP
    parameters, but you use 'iwconfig' to set SSID, WEP key, etc. 'iwconfig' is
    usually maintained in a separate RPM who's name escapes me right now...

    good luck,
    Jonathan

    "Tory Brown" <Tory@home.edu> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just put together a laptop with Fedora Core 3 and a Orinoco Classic
    > Gold wireless card, when I boot I can go into the network settings and
    > it is detected correctly but the question is how to configure it? I
    > have read that I need to install additional, recompiling the kernel,
    > configuring files that are not on the system.
    >
    > I tried the Fedora Core + Kismet How-To Version 3.4 document but I
    > don't have the same directories as is detailed in the doc. I have
    > searched the forums and the sites but I haven't found much.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good document to step me through configuring the
    > Orinoco card with Fedoa Core 3? I haven't worked on Linux in years so
    > it is almost like starting over but I'd rather use Linux over Windows
    > especially for wireless.
    >

    > Thank you!
    >
    > Tory

Wireless Core Fedora Wireless Networking