Mobo for Athlon 1.2Ghz - No Overclocking

G

Hey, I am trying to put together a linux system for personal use. I am on low budget.
What I need to know, is what motherboard to use if i'm not going to do any overclocking?

Here's the specs:
Athlon 1.2Ghz 266Mhz FSB
IBM 75GXP 40GB EIDE (Or would it be better to RAID two 20GB HDs)
2 x 256 MB DDR PC-2100 RAM (Crucial)
GeForce2
SoundBlaster Live Value!
3Com 905B
Sony 52x CD-ROM
HP 9100c CD-RW (previously owned)
ATX Case (300W PSU)

Also, if you see any areas that can be improved, please let me know.

Thanks

The FIC AD11 for $105 will work just fine. I got my 1.2 to overclock to 1.33 by changing the multiplier dip switch, with little change in cpu temp. I use adapters to connect extra fans directly to the power supply. GPS Computer Services or Newegg have good prices on motherboards. You can read about this in a recent article about 3 budget AMD 760 motherboards on this website.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
what motherboard to use if i'm not going to do any overclocking?
I THINK the Ali Magic chipset is still generally believed to be the most stable. AMD 760 may have pulled even with it stability-wise recently.

IBM 75GXP 40GB EIDE (Or would it be better to RAID two 20GB HDs)
Personally, I find my RAID 0 array is a hell of a performance boost. I would whole-heartedly recommend RAID 0. Only thing to remember is to backup your important files as one drive crash will trash your whole array. A small price to pay, IMHO.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Jespark

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
If you are on low budget, maybe the ECS K7VZA be a good choice.
I am not pretty shure if It will be a good idea, but I am really thinking on buying that mobo. It's very cheap and overclokin It is impossible. But all the rewies about it sad the same: The board is cheap, but good.

[SOA]Jespark<b>-CWB</b>
ME AMARRO EM UT MAS MINHA LINHA É UMA DROGA