Win2000 hangup and reboot failure

DSpada

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Although this is somewhat Windows 200 related, I posted in this forum too because I have a feeling, the PCI slots/Motherboard might be related to the problem. Here's the situation:

I just built a new Athlon 1.2 system with an A7A266 Motherboard. I was downloading Service Pack 2 when it suddenly stopped, I could still interact with it but I couldn't close any windows (even with End Task), it gave a message the it was either being debugged or something else...

Had to reboot, then at the black screen when windows loads, it froze. Safe boot doesn't work either, tracked the loading procedure, freezes when it loads the config.

I then tried to reinstall, got a blue screen after booting all 4 floppies, STOP error in pci.sys, it was the newly added NIC that was hanging it.

So basically, is there some sort of issue with PCI cards with this Motherboard. How can I avoid these failures? And will an emergency repair disk help me restore the windows installation (didn't have one made)

I think without the NIC, it would be stable, but I only ran it without the NIC for a few minutes.

Thanks in advance

[Insert witty comment here]

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
What else do you have in there? Did you try the NIC in different slots? Are you running ACPI?

Enquiring minds want to know...

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

DSpada

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
The only other PCI card I have in ther is a SB Live 5.1 and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems

I didn't get the chance to move around the NIC card yet.

Basically what I want to know is if there is an issue with PCI cards and this motherboard (this is all hardware that ran perfectly on my older P2 350)

How do I know if I'm running ACPI? I disabled plug and play OS in the BIOS, is that related?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Shouldn't be any issue with PCI cards, otherwise what good would the mobo be?

Most everything will be on 1 IRQ if you're running ACPI. In most circumstances this should actually work. First thing I would try would be a different slot.

DSpada

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I guess I will try a different NIC in a different PCI slot...

But that doesn't explain how come windows won't boot anymore and freezes (with the NIC removed). There seems to be a problem with the configuration.

I also read that Plug and Play OS is not very good enables (I know, with revision 1.002B I had to reset the BIOS so it would actually start) I now have revision 1.004, is it safe to use it now? (My understanding is that it let's the OS asign the IRQ's instead of the BIOS when enabled)

Thanks for your input so far

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Oh yeah, 1.004 is a definite for that board.

AFA PNP OS setting in the BIOS, disabled is the way to fly. You're right. this way the OS is allowed to do its own thing.