EQ2 - the inevitable card question

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2004 9:41:39 PM

Apologies if this subject has been covered to hell and back but I'm a
desperate man! I have a copy of EQ2 sitting next to my keyboard which I
can't play because my graphics card is not up to scratch (GeForce2 MX400
64Mb). Needless to say I've got to buy a new one but I'm already baffled all
the different cards out there.

Does anyone have a similar PC spec to mine?

Pentium 4
2GHz
512Mb RAM
Windows XP Home
AGP slot
Apprx. 3 years old

If you have and you're happily running EQ2, please, please tell me how you
did it! I'm happy to spend money on a decent mid-range card but not blowing
the bank on something that might melt down my PC.

Any help or advice seized with gratitude.

Rick
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2004 10:31:09 PM

"Rick Burton" <rb22@btinternet.com> wrote in

> Apologies if this subject has been covered to hell and back but I'm a
> desperate man! I have a copy of EQ2 sitting next to my keyboard which
> I can't play because my graphics card is not up to scratch (GeForce2
> MX400 64Mb). Needless to say I've got to buy a new one but I'm already
> baffled all the different cards out there.
>
> Does anyone have a similar PC spec to mine?
>
> Pentium 4
> 2GHz
> 512Mb RAM
> Windows XP Home
> AGP slot
> Apprx. 3 years old
>
> If you have and you're happily running EQ2, please, please tell me how
> you did it! I'm happy to spend money on a decent mid-range card but
> not blowing the bank on something that might melt down my PC.
>
> Any help or advice seized with gratitude.

I use an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 128MB, and it works great for EQ2. Not
sure off hand if your Motherboard will take an AGP Pro card, if not,
there are non Pro versions as well. Price is well under $200 for them
now.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 14 Dwarven Shaman, 10 Scholar
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2004 12:23:13 AM

"Rick Burton" <rb22@btinternet.com> wrote
> Apologies if this subject has been covered to hell and back but I'm a
> desperate man! I have a copy of EQ2 sitting next to my keyboard which I
> can't play because my graphics card is not up to scratch (GeForce2 MX400
> 64Mb). Needless to say I've got to buy a new one but I'm already baffled
all
> the different cards out there.
>
> Does anyone have a similar PC spec to mine?
>
> Pentium 4
> 2GHz
> 512Mb RAM
> Windows XP Home
> AGP slot
> Apprx. 3 years old
>
> If you have and you're happily running EQ2, please, please tell me how you
> did it! I'm happy to spend money on a decent mid-range card but not
blowing
> the bank on something that might melt down my PC.
>
> Any help or advice seized with gratitude.

I'm running Pentium (I think) 3.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Win XP Home, and a Geforce
TI4200. I have to crank down some of the stuff, but I'm running pretty
good. Dunno if that helps or not.
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2004 12:38:00 AM

Rick Burton <rb22@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Apologies if this subject has been covered to hell and back but I'm a
> desperate man! I have a copy of EQ2 sitting next to my keyboard which I
> can't play because my graphics card is not up to scratch (GeForce2 MX400
> 64Mb). Needless to say I've got to buy a new one but I'm already baffled all
> the different cards out there.
>
> Does anyone have a similar PC spec to mine?
>
> Pentium 4
> 2GHz
> 512Mb RAM
> Windows XP Home
> AGP slot
> Apprx. 3 years old
>
> If you have and you're happily running EQ2, please, please tell me how you
> did it! I'm happy to spend money on a decent mid-range card but not blowing
> the bank on something that might melt down my PC.
>
> Any help or advice seized with gratitude.

Right now, the best bang for your buck is probably one of the
following:

1. nVidia GeForce4 5900XT
2. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2004 4:52:33 AM

"Ken Andrews" <gobble@degook.com> wrote in message
> "Rick Burton" <rb22@btinternet.com> wrote
> > Apologies if this subject has been covered to hell and back but I'm a
> > desperate man! I have a copy of EQ2 sitting next to my keyboard which I
> > can't play because my graphics card is not up to scratch (GeForce2 MX400
> > 64Mb). Needless to say I've got to buy a new one but I'm already baffled
> all
> > the different cards out there.
> >
> > Does anyone have a similar PC spec to mine?
> >
> > Pentium 4
> > 2GHz
> > 512Mb RAM
> > Windows XP Home
> > AGP slot
> > Apprx. 3 years old
> >
> > If you have and you're happily running EQ2, please, please tell me how
you
> > did it! I'm happy to spend money on a decent mid-range card but not
> blowing
> > the bank on something that might melt down my PC.
> >
> > Any help or advice seized with gratitude.
>
> I'm running Pentium (I think) 3.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Win XP Home, and a
Geforce
> TI4200. I have to crank down some of the stuff, but I'm running pretty
> good. Dunno if that helps or not.

Thanks, Ken. It certainly helps.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2004 4:54:34 AM

<johndoe@example.com> wrote in message
> Rick Burton <rb22@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Apologies if this subject has been covered to hell and back but I'm a
> > desperate man! I have a copy of EQ2 sitting next to my keyboard which I
> > can't play because my graphics card is not up to scratch (GeForce2 MX400
> > 64Mb). Needless to say I've got to buy a new one but I'm already baffled
all
> > the different cards out there.
> >
> > Does anyone have a similar PC spec to mine?
> >
> > Pentium 4
> > 2GHz
> > 512Mb RAM
> > Windows XP Home
> > AGP slot
> > Apprx. 3 years old
> >
> > If you have and you're happily running EQ2, please, please tell me how
you
> > did it! I'm happy to spend money on a decent mid-range card but not
blowing
> > the bank on something that might melt down my PC.
> >
> > Any help or advice seized with gratitude.
>
> Right now, the best bang for your buck is probably one of the
> following:
>
> 1. nVidia GeForce4 5900XT
> 2. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Thanks for the help. Will both these run OK in my existing ACP slot?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2004 6:16:43 AM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:41:39 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Burton"
<rb22@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Apologies if this subject has been covered to hell and back but I'm a
>desperate man! I have a copy of EQ2 sitting next to my keyboard which I
>can't play because my graphics card is not up to scratch (GeForce2 MX400
>64Mb). Needless to say I've got to buy a new one but I'm already baffled all
>the different cards out there.
>
>Does anyone have a similar PC spec to mine?
>
>Pentium 4
>2GHz
>512Mb RAM
>Windows XP Home
>AGP slot
>Apprx. 3 years old
>
>If you have and you're happily running EQ2, please, please tell me how you
>did it! I'm happy to spend money on a decent mid-range card but not blowing
>the bank on something that might melt down my PC.
>
>Any help or advice seized with gratitude.
>
>Rick

I have a 2Ghz Athlon XP (a bit slower than yours) and 1 gig of RAM.
My gfx card is a GeForce FX5900xt.

EQ2 looks lovely, but is a bit slow at time, if there are too many
people on-screen at once.

I think this is more to do with my processor, though, than the card.

And what's with all the carrots ?
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2004 9:51:50 AM

> > Does anyone have a similar PC spec to mine?

> > Pentium 4
> > 2GHz
> > 512Mb RAM
> > Windows XP Home
> > AGP slot
> > Apprx. 3 years old

Mine was almost the same spec as yours. I added an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
with 128Mb. I also needed to add 512Mb RAM.

steve.kaye
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2004 11:53:32 AM

The Newer release of the Radeon 9800 Pros have the 9800XT Core so you
can flash your Pro to an XT. Search the web for the "How To". I was
lucky eneough to be bale to do this and it worked great :)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2004 2:51:35 PM

"Rick Burton" <rb22@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<cniqd3$qjl$2@hercules.btinternet.com>...
> Apologies if this subject has been covered to hell and back but I'm a
> desperate man! I have a copy of EQ2 sitting next to my keyboard which I
> can't play because my graphics card is not up to scratch (GeForce2 MX400
> 64Mb). Needless to say I've got to buy a new one but I'm already baffled all
> the different cards out there.
>
> Does anyone have a similar PC spec to mine?
>
> Pentium 4
> 2GHz
> 512Mb RAM
> Windows XP Home
> AGP slot
> Apprx. 3 years old
>
> If you have and you're happily running EQ2, please, please tell me how you
> did it! I'm happy to spend money on a decent mid-range card but not blowing
> the bank on something that might melt down my PC.
>
> Any help or advice seized with gratitude.
>
> Rick

I had

Pentium 3
933 MHz
768 MB RAM
Windows 2K
AGP
GeForce2 TI something

Couldn't run EQ2.

Upgraded to ATI Radeon9200SE for $48 from www.newegg.com. And I'm playing now.

Drowned Drow
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2004 6:19:29 PM

> <johndoe@example.com> wrote in message
>> Rick Burton <rb22@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> > Apologies if this subject has been covered to hell and back but I'm
>> > a desperate man! I have a copy of EQ2 sitting next to my keyboard
>> > which I can't play because my graphics card is not up to scratch
>> > (GeForce2 MX400 64Mb). Needless to say I've got to buy a new one
>> > but I'm already baffled all the different cards out there.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have a similar PC spec to mine?
>> >
>> > Pentium 4
>> > 2GHz
>> > 512Mb RAM
>> > Windows XP Home
>> > AGP slot
>> > Apprx. 3 years old
>> >
>> > If you have and you're happily running EQ2, please, please tell me
>> > how you did it! I'm happy to spend money on a decent mid-range card
>> > but not blowing the bank on something that might melt down my PC.
>> >
>> > Any help or advice seized with gratitude.
>>
>> Right now, the best bang for your buck is probably one of the
>> following:
>>
>> 1. nVidia GeForce4 5900XT 2. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
>
> Thanks for the help. Will both these run OK in my existing ACP slot?

That depends on what type of AGP slot you have. Someone, maybe Ken
Andrews, posted a link to a site that goes into the details of how you
tell, maybe he can post it again, if you don't have the information
handy.

Alternatively, you can try looking it up at your motherboard
manufacturers website.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 14 Dwarven Shaman, 12 Scholar
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2004 12:35:53 AM

starwarsgalaxies@hotmail.com (Galveron Boade) wrote in

> The Newer release of the Radeon 9800 Pros have the 9800XT Core so you
> can flash your Pro to an XT. Search the web for the "How To". I was
> lucky eneough to be bale to do this and it worked great :)

Damn, going to have to pull the heatsink on mine and check it out now...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 14 Dwarven Shaman, 12 Scholar
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2004 10:58:06 PM

In article <419d1638$0$8325$a1866201@visi.com>, johndoe@example.com wrote:
> Right now, the best bang for your buck is probably one of the
> following:
>
> 1. nVidia GeForce4 5900XT
> 2. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

At "balanced" with a 5900XT, P4 2.4 GHz, 1 gig RAM, Asus P4PE motherboard,
it gets VERY choppy in Willow Wood and a few other Qeynos zones. I have
to go to "extreme performance" to be fully happy there.

--
--Tim Smith
!