Unknown lost of space on hard drive

jthoov

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I have an SSD that my Win7 is installed on.

I did disk clean up, deleting everything I could and even deleted any old system restores.

My Temporary Internet Folder from Internet Explorer had been set to a different hard drive than my SSD so there was nothing that can actually take space away.

I had 28.2 GB of free space.

All I did afterwards was install 1 driver and software for my new webcam. I installed the thing on my other hard drive anyway (I triple checked)

But now, no matter what I do, my SSD is showing 27.7 GB only of free space.

What the heck? Even if I did install it on there by accident (which I didn't), how the heck is a 20mb program going to take up 500mb on a hard drive.

It just doesn't make sense

I've done the whole disk clean up thing again but nothing is changing.

I'm so confused...

I find that windows updates can take a bit of room, do you use another drive for internet downloads and such? I understand the real estate is an issue on a boot SSD, you can greatly reduce some of that space.
Completely removing system restore will help. Also the annoying UAC can give back quite a bit of space.
More ram would allow for the dismissal of the system cache. I have 4 gigs only, so I moved the cache to another hard drive as I rarely need it.

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Even though you told the installer for the webcam driver/software to go to a different drive, some of it goes to the the primary drive anyhow. Drivers for example always are located in the \WINDOWS tree (C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\Drivers for example).

TRENDING THREADS