WRT54G clones?

Just curious, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a WRT54G
'compatable' router? These routers seem to be the only cheap ones
that you can do anything interesting with because of different
firmwares out there. I wondered if someone has tried to make a
compatable box that these firmwares can also be loaded on.

In short, could the WRT54G(S) become the IBM PC of routers????

On 15 Dec 2004 06:42:44 -0800, pagingmrherman@hotmail.com (PW Herman)
wrote:

>Just curious, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a WRT54G
>'compatable' router? These routers seem to be the only cheap ones
>that you can do anything interesting with because of different
>firmwares out there. I wondered if someone has tried to make a
>compatable box that these firmwares can also be loaded on.

The OpenWRT project lists "compatible" routers in their FAQ that will
work with their replacement firmware. See:
http://openwrt.org/OpenWrtFaq#head-d02d34e097988371abc90c815790b241f86e57d0

>In short, could the WRT54G(S) become the IBM PC of routers????

I doubt it. Linksys is reaping a mixed blessing with their release of
open source code for their routers. They sell a considerable number
of these because they are popular with the hackers. However, their
return rate and failed bios butchery rate has also increased the
support load and return rate. I don't know what Linksys is planning,
but my guess(tm) is that the next generation of routers (802.11i) will
again revert to proprietary with no source code available. Linksys
may also do the unexpected and release supported open source firmware
for their products. There may be some nitch vendors that supply
WRT54G compatible routers, but I don't think they can keep their costs
down. Dunno. My crystal ball has been wrong before, and others may
suddenly start selling compatible boxes if Linksys decides to
discontinue the WRT54G series.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558