Seeking help, Rig underperforming in WoW

Jarre

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Good morning all,
I am debating looking into overclocking to solve my problem but I thought I’d outline the issue first before discussing whether OC would help me. So far I’ve have tried to run DA2 Witcher 2 and a few other games on the highest settings and I have had little difficulty but WoW seems to plague me with poor framerate and I’m not sure the issue. I’m at work so the best I can do is summarize my system:

Windows 7 Professional
CPU: i5-2500 Sandy Bridge
RAM: 8 gb
GPU: nVidia GTX 570
Running 1920x1080 on a 27” monitor

When I try to put my warcraft settings on High turning down the unnecessary hogs such as shadows, I have questionable performance in raids. Running around the world I stay at 60 fps with no issues (but no higher). When in a 25 man raid (such as Ragnaros, though the specifics of who that is is largely irrelevant for those not WoW inclined) my FPS hovers at 35-45 and then plummets to 15-20 FPS at moments with a large amount of activity going on. I’ve flipped between ultra and high and I get a slightly worse performance bumping some features up to Ultra.

With the setup that I do I don’t understand why I’m getting such a massive performance hit. Any thoughts? If there is any other bit of information that would help in the short term please ask. Can try to include more info when I get home from work.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Your system should play WoW fine from the graphics point-of-view. If you're playing other games like The Witcher 2 with no issues, then it suggests either a driver needs update, the WoW problem is not graphics-related or your WoW settings are slightly off somewhere.

Re the 60 fps maximum...is your desktop refresh rate set to 60Hz? It sounds like you have VSync enabled in WoW, which matches the game's framerate to your desktop framerate...turn it off, and you should notice some improvements. This may or may not sort your main issue, but it sounds like lag to me, really. Try updating the driver for your network connection and if you're using WiFi, connect with an ethernet cable and see if the issue disappears.

Jarre

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
The maximum thing I can look into because yes I have it at 60 with VSync on. But I don't think that will affect the drastic lows I have been seeing. My latency isn't that bad hovers between 60 and 120 and I am plugged into my router via an ethernet cable not WiFi.

I am pretty sure my system should be able to handle WoW on Ultra in a raid environment just fine from what I've read and I have a guildie with nearly the exact same setup pulling 60 fps solidly on Ragnaros and only like 30-40 during seeds.

This issue isn't exclusive to Ragnaros, on Staghelm (scorpion) and Alysrazor (grouping up) my FPS plummets down to ~18-20 as well and it hovers between 30 and 40 on a lot of other firelands bosses. This seems highly unacceptable to me and I'm really infuriated and frustrated.

TRENDING THREADS