Asus CUSL2-C Blues

G

Hi,
got a PIII 933 Asus CUSL2-C with 256 megs RAM, a Maxtor 7200 rpm, 20 Gig drive with a 250W ATX power supply running WinMe and I didn't stop having problems ever since. the bios is 1006a and I have also installed the IntelATA driver on the CD that shipped with the board. the board, CPU and memory run at 133 Mhz.

I got the memory exchanged three times
I got the hard disk exchanged twice

those being defective being ruled out - I now suspect that my mobo is the problem
here's what happens

two times out of three my mobo doesn't shut down, it restarts instead.
the keyboard numlock light stays on all the time.
i need to turn power down to switch off the machine
when I restart, it detects an improper shutdown and scandisks the entire disk (about 20 minutes!)
I am unable to enable DMA on the second IDE channel which has a Creative 52X Infra drive (which the manual says supports DMA and a Ricoh MP7040A CDRW which also should.
I do not get above UDMA 3 on my harddrive when I use the Intel ATA companion(I suspect that at this data is not being transferred at ATA100 levels) when I do set the configuration manually to UDMA 4, Windows crashes and I get a message on bootup that windows cannot write to drive C:
My machine anyway seems to perform only just a little better than my old PIII600 on an ABIT BH6, with 128 RAM and a 20Gig Quantum Fireball at 5400rpm all at 100Mhz - i really did expect fireworks with the new lineup.
I recently also managed to flash the bios to 1007 but same problem.
so, coming back to my machine - what the [-peep-] is goin' on?
M.

Just a plain old advertising guy wanting to know more and do more with my machine

G

Interesting that you should mention the restart problem with this board. I have a friend with an Asus CUSL2-C Black Pearl and he has run into similar problems. I did two things that seem to have helped out the situation. The biggest thing is that I upgraded the drivers for his Kingston ethernet card (model 111 or something like that). For his card there were new drivers dated 7/13/00 that seemed to get rid of the shutdown problem.

Before I tried those drivers, I also ran the Windoctor in Norton Utilities 2001 on his system and it found several issues. Hard to say what it fixed exactly, but it got his machine so that would shut down some of the time (still rebooted on others).

Not really sure what to say about the DMA issues. I assume you are using an 80-pin IDE ribbon cable (with the blue end connected to the blue connector on the motherboard) and not and older 40 pin model. If you can get your hands on a different 80-pin cable, it might be worth trying. Bad cables are rare these days, but it is possible?

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had the same type of shutdown problem. It was a Windows Configuration error. Make sure all your devices are working properly in device manager. If you see any flags, you have a conflict or an uninstalled driver. The biggest problem I had was one of my cards was older and Windows could not configure it properly. I set PNP-OS to NO in BIOS to take care of that. The other problem I had was that my SoundCard needed it's own IRQ for DOS SB Emulation. I reserved IRQ5 in BIOS and set the line in Autoexec.bat to I5. Those two things eliminated my sutdown errors. IF you need more information, ask the experts at www.asusboards.com

Video killed my Radio Card!