G

I just purchased a new motherboard (MSI k7 master), CPU (AMD 1.2GHz), and Crucial Memory. Whenever I try to access my CD drives (Plextor Plexwriter 16/10/40A, Toshiba DVD 1502) I hear this super high pitched squeal. It's driving me nuts. Does anybody know about this happening with this motherboard. It doesn't ever lock up the computer. Everything goes on like the sound isn't happening. Please help if you can

I had the same problem when turning on my system. The chipset fan would squeel for about 1-2 minutes. It was so noisy, I removed it. Chipset fans are relatively new items. If your board has one, and you don't overclock, you probably don't need it anyway.

G

I don't think that I have a chipset fan. How can I tell if I do? Also, it doesn't sound much like a fan squealing it sounds more like some bad error sound.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You said that it happens when you select one of your CD drives not when you power up...so it's definitely not the chipset fan. FYI, if you want to check it anyway just look for a fan (on a chip) anywhere on the motherboard. At the very least, your chipset will likely have a heatsink on it.

As for the problem...hmmm. Can you tell where the squeel is coming from? I mean is it coming from one of the drives or what? Let me know what you find. YOu may have to open up your chassis to get a better idea where the noise is coming from.

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

G

Yeah I don't have a fan on my chipset. I have a heatsink. The sound is so loud I can't tell where it is coming from. I don't have a speaker hooked up to the motherboard either so I know its not that. There was a jumber where the speaker pins are so I thought maybe there was one built into the MB but I that jumper off and it still happens. It happens mostly when I try and copy files off of a CD, or when I'm trying to burn a CD. Like I said nothing is affected by it that I'm aware of. Also, I don't think it happens when there is no CD in the PlexWriter but I'm not positive about that. Tried to cal MSI yesterday but obviously there hours of operation are only monday-thurs for tech support.

G

Thanks for your help. I figured it out. It is my UPS. Somehow I keep overloading it and it happens when I run one of the CD-ROMS. It was the battery kicking in and the horrible sound was the warning that I was losing power and was on battery backup. Now all I have to do is figure out why I'm overloading the circuit. Thanks again for your concern.