EQ2: Who are the purple people?

On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I "examined"
them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be able to
communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the way, I'm on Tox
server.)

Can I become a role-playing character on a non-role-playing server? How?
If so, does that mean that I can't talk with anyone other than other
role-players?

Thanks in advance.

David
16 answers Last reply
More about purple people

    "David S." <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote in message
    > On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I "examined"
    > them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be able to
    > communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the way, I'm on
    > Tox
    > server.)
    >
    > Can I become a role-playing character on a non-role-playing server? How?
    > If so, does that mean that I can't talk with anyone other than other
    > role-players?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > David

    Just type /role and you will be roleplaying.

    David S. <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote:
    >On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I "examined"
    >them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be able to
    >communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the way, I'm on Tox
    >server.)

    /role toggles roleplaying. It does nothing except turn your name purple and
    hide your level and class. And let other roleplayers know that they can spout
    ye nonsens olde englishe at you :)

    You can turn it on or off as often as you like. It doesn't affect
    communication at all - they were either afk or just not paying attention.

    This applies to EQ1 as well as EQ2, by the way.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    "Mark Rafn" <dagon@dagon.net> wrote in message
    :
    : You can turn it on or off as often as you like. It doesn't affect
    : communication at all - they were either afk or just not paying attention.

    Thanks for responding. At first, I thought that "role-playing" was a
    different channel, and that I could only communicate on that channel. Glad
    I was wrong.

    Good hunting!

    David

    "David S." wrote:

    > Thanks for responding. At first, I thought that "role-playing" was a
    > different channel, and that I could only communicate on that channel. Glad
    > I was wrong.

    I've noticed a distinct lack of communications at lower levels. One
    would think that roleplayers would be more likely to chat (I know I always
    was!). However, even purple names on AB, one of the roleplaying preferred
    servers, seem to just run by without saying a word to anyone. I think that
    this might be because most people are still trying to figure out the game
    and the mechanics, and can solo the earlier levels pretty easily (at least
    I seem to be able to with a priest and fighter, both traditionally grouping
    classes).

    I'm hoping this changes at higher levels, cause chatter is one of the
    things I live for. Preferably with lots and lots of mistells, as my
    friends from EQL here can tell you.

    --
    Annie

    In EQII:

    Tealeaf-- Ogre Priest on AB
    Teacup -- Gnome Fighter on AB

    AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
    http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

    Mirrored at:
    http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/yvud6
    http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

    _______

    If you can't figure out my email address, you're not supposed to write me.

    "Annie Benson-Lennaman" <teapray@realpeopleonly.yahoo.com> wrote in message

    : I'm hoping this changes at higher levels, cause chatter is one of the
    : things I live for. Preferably with lots and lots of mistells, as my
    : friends from EQL here can tell you.

    Me too. One of the things I like in mmorpgs is joining a large allegiance.
    I haven't heard anyone talk about or recruit for their allegiance (or guild
    or whatever it's called in EQ2 -- I'm an AC2 refugee).

    David S.

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:22:58 GMT, "David S."
    <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote:

    >On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I "examined"
    >them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be able to
    >communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the way, I'm on Tox
    >server.)

    Trouble can be that they have so much text flowing through their
    window your chat got lost in it all. I make it a point to turn off
    combat and casting messages. Made it easier to follow conversation
    that was usually scrolled through real quick.

    >Can I become a role-playing character on a non-role-playing server? How?
    >If so, does that mean that I can't talk with anyone other than other
    >role-players?

    Here is my POV on RP on non RP server. I won't offer a group to a RPer
    and if they use LFG with it; they get ignored when I am trying to form
    groups. It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
    a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone. I don't
    speak for everybody, but that is just my POV on RPing on non-RP
    server.

    dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote in

    > David S. <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote:
    >>On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I
    >>"examined" them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be
    >>able to communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the
    >>way, I'm on Tox server.)
    >
    > /role toggles roleplaying. It does nothing except turn your name
    > purple and hide your level and class. And let other roleplayers know
    > that they can spout ye nonsens olde englishe at you :)
    >
    > You can turn it on or off as often as you like. It doesn't affect
    > communication at all - they were either afk or just not paying
    > attention.
    >
    > This applies to EQ1 as well as EQ2, by the way.

    In EQ1 it's often used to ward off the deluge of buff requests as well.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
    Graeme, 15 Dwarven Shaman, 13 Scholar

    "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    : It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
    : a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone. I don't
    : speak for everybody, but that is just my POV on RPing on non-RP
    : server.

    Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why would
    the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?

    David

    >"Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >: It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
    >: a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone.

    This is mostly true even on RP-preferred servers.

    David S. <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote:
    >Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why would
    >the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?

    Because Sony made it do more than turn your name purple. It makes it hard to
    find out your class or level, so no group can tell if you're appropriate for
    them.

    If it were intelligently designed, it would do NOTHING but make your name
    purple, and put an (rp) in /who listings. If you also wanted to hide your
    class and level, you could /anon in addition.

    Actually, I'll feedback that (in EQ1. EQ2 folks have to feedback it
    themselves).
    --

    > "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >: It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
    >: a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone. I don't
    >: speak for everybody, but that is just my POV on RPing on non-RP
    >: server.
    >
    > Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why
    > would the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?

    It does not, he is talking about the fact that you cannot see the persons
    level or class when they have /roleplay on.

    --

    "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message

    : It does not, he is talking about the fact that you cannot see the persons
    : level or class when they have /roleplay on.

    I see. Thanks.

    David

    In article <5l8a72-4a4.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>, Mark Rafn wrote:
    >>Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why
    >>would the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?
    >
    > Because Sony made it do more than turn your name purple. It makes it hard
    > to find out your class or level, so no group can tell if you're
    > appropriate for them.

    I haven't checked...does it also hide class and/or level in the group search
    tool?

    --
    --Tim Smith

    "David S." <davids@nicetryspammers.com> writes:

    > "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    > : It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
    > : a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone. I don't
    > : speak for everybody, but that is just my POV on RPing on non-RP
    > : server.
    >
    > Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why would
    > the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?

    When you turn on the roleplay flag, others can no longer see your
    class unless you're in their group, which means you have to ask them
    what class they are if you see them show up as LFG. If you advertise
    your skills that's not a problem, but when someone is looking for more
    people for their group the roleplayers will probably be last on the
    list since it's extra hassle.

    dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote in message news:<cdr272-ol8.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>...
    > David S. <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote:
    > >On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I "examined"
    > >them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be able to
    > >communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the way, I'm on Tox
    > >server.)
    >
    > /role toggles roleplaying. It does nothing except turn your name purple and
    > hide your level and class. And let other roleplayers know that they can spout
    > ye nonsens olde englishe at you :)

    Thankfully, EQ2 seems pretty devoid of those types. I personally
    prefer ye olde 31337 sp34k compared to that gayness. The social
    servers for NWN used to be (and probably still are) filled with people
    like that. And a lot of MUDs were like that too.

    Maybe I just don't have much of an imagination, but it's kinda hard to
    lose one's self in the fantasy when you're sitting around thinking
    about levelups, max HP, to hit bonuses, spawn camping named mobs, and
    zoning away from KoS groups.

    Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> writes:

    > In article <5l8a72-4a4.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>, Mark Rafn wrote:
    > >>Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why
    > >>would the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?
    > >
    > > Because Sony made it do more than turn your name purple. It makes it hard
    > > to find out your class or level, so no group can tell if you're
    > > appropriate for them.
    >
    > I haven't checked...does it also hide class and/or level in the group search
    > tool?

    No, you can still see class and level in the tool even if the player
    is anonymous or roleplaying. I think you can't see what zone they're
    in, though, but that may be anon only, I'm not sure.

    patrik@nordebo.com wrote in news:87fz3157qe.fsf@pluto.elizium.org:

    > "David S." <davids@nicetryspammers.com> writes:
    >
    >> "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> : It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
    >> : a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone. I
    >> : don't speak for everybody, but that is just my POV on RPing on
    >> : non-RP server.
    >>
    >> Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why
    >> would the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a
    >> group?
    >
    > When you turn on the roleplay flag, others can no longer see your
    > class unless you're in their group, which means you have to ask them
    > what class they are if you see them show up as LFG. If you advertise
    > your skills that's not a problem, but when someone is looking for more
    > people for their group the roleplayers will probably be last on the
    > list since it's extra hassle.

    Honestly, that's the way I've used it in EQLive. Turn on /roleplay, but
    make sure I mention my class/level in any LFG activity. I like /roleplay
    when it's used properly. If roleplaying, people *shouldn't* know much about
    me unless I tell them, which I am quick to do when appropriate. If I'm just
    out adventuring or exploring, it works as I would prefer.

    --
    Rumble

    "The floggings will continue until morale improves."
    -- Blackbeard

Games Servers Video Games