whats up with the multiplier?

G

how do I change the multiplier on an a7m266? the board has a bank for dipswitches but its occupied only by empty solder points. the bios has an option for it, but its greyed out. I emailed asus tech support about this and they said my multiplier is locked (l1 bridges are closed so it shouldn't be, right?) and that I shouldn't need to mess with the setting anyway cause the bios detects it automatically from the cpu. whats the best way to do this? (preferably without risking permanent damage to any components, but I'd like to hear any ideas)

You can try changing the multiplier using the L6 bridges. Your choices will be limited using a pencil. I would try raising it by a factor of 1, say from 9 to 10 or 10.5. The settings are listed on this website in one of the early articles on overclocking socket a cpus. I don't know if you can raise the voltage, but raising it to 1.77 or 1.8 would help. I wouldn't raise the voltage unless you are using a top quality heatsink. My 1.2 overclocks to 1.33 without changing the voltage.

G

actually I was thinking I'd lower the multiplier and raise the fsb to see if that gave me better performance in general (I think 140x10 should do better than 133x10.5 cause it raises the speed of the rest of the system too I think...)... the mobo does have jumpers for voltage and I can set the fsb to anything I want (increments of 1 :] in the bios, but it gives me nowhere to change the multiplier, I think I found the article you were talking about, thanks.