KY

Man what a difference 256 meg of vid ram makes. I just upgraded my 5200 to a
5700 and it is unreal how well the grafics are now.

42 wrote:
> In article <ENmdnSELwNA3rADcRVn-sQ@adelphia.com>,
> kyhighland@adelphia.net says...
> > Man what a difference 256 meg of vid ram makes. I just upgraded my
5200 to a
> > 5700 and it is unreal how well the grafics are now.
>
> That has everything to do with the speed differences between the 5200

> and 5700 and almost nothing to do with the vid ram.

Its amazing how much main memory can speed things up. (Not graphics
card memory)

I have a P4 1.6GHz with 512Mb of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with
128Mb. EQ2 was very close to unplayable with this system. I had to
change to extreme performance on the lowest resolution just to get it
anywhere near close to playable.

Last night I put extra memory in to make it 1Gb and the change is
amazing. I put the setting up to balanced, turned down a few options
that I consider aren't worth the extra CPU power and changed the screen
res to be 1280x1024. The game has been transformed!

I was very worried that I would have to upgrade my whole system at an
extra cost of £300 but that won't be needed now. :)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:35:11 -0500, "KY" <kyhighland@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>Man what a difference 256 meg of vid ram makes. I just upgraded my 5200 to a
>5700 and it is unreal how well the grafics are now.

Flash bastard !

My Athlon XP 2000 is starting to how it's age, I think - my gfx card
is fine, but my cpu just can't shift the data across.

And my credit card just got limit raise.

Hmmm.

And what's with all the carrots ?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <1100861597.933249.314130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk says...

> 42 wrote:
> > In article <ENmdnSELwNA3rADcRVn-sQ@adelphia.com>,
> > kyhighland@adelphia.net says...
> > > Man what a difference 256 meg of vid ram makes. I just upgraded my
> 5200 to a
> > > 5700 and it is unreal how well the grafics are now.
> >
> > That has everything to do with the speed differences between the 5200
>
> > and 5700 and almost nothing to do with the vid ram.
>
> Its amazing how much main memory can speed things up. (Not graphics
> card memory)

To a point, yes. 512MB -> 1GB makes a big difference in EQ/EQ2. 1GB to
2GB is not worth mentioning, as least for EQ1. Once you have -enough- to
hold everything you need in RAM, you have -enough-. More beyond that is
pointless.

"KY" <kyhighland@adelphia.net> wrote in

> Man what a difference 256 meg of vid ram makes. I just upgraded my
> 5200 to a 5700 and it is unreal how well the grafics are now.

I suspect most of the difference was going from 5200 to 5700, the 5200 is a
dog, I have a 256MB 5200, and it's sitting in a box collecting dust, it was
slower than my 4200-128MB.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 14 Dwarven Shaman, 12 Scholar

"steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in

> 42 wrote:
>> In article <ENmdnSELwNA3rADcRVn-sQ@adelphia.com>,
>> kyhighland@adelphia.net says...
>> > Man what a difference 256 meg of vid ram makes. I just upgraded my
>> > 5200 to a 5700 and it is unreal how well the grafics are now.
>>
>> That has everything to do with the speed differences between the 5200
>
>> and 5700 and almost nothing to do with the vid ram.
>
> Its amazing how much main memory can speed things up. (Not graphics
> card memory)
>
> I have a P4 1.6GHz with 512Mb of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with
> 128Mb. EQ2 was very close to unplayable with this system. I had to
> change to extreme performance on the lowest resolution just to get it
> anywhere near close to playable.
>
> Last night I put extra memory in to make it 1Gb and the change is
> amazing. I put the setting up to balanced, turned down a few options
> that I consider aren't worth the extra CPU power and changed the screen
> res to be 1280x1024. The game has been transformed!
>
> I was very worried that I would have to upgrade my whole system at an
> extra cost of £300 but that won't be needed now. :)

Yep, 1GB of dual channel PC3200 memory here, plus a 9800 Pro 128MB, and
the game rocks.

--

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in
>

>> 42 wrote:
>>> In article <ENmdnSELwNA3rADcRVn-sQ@adelphia.com>,
>>> kyhighland@adelphia.net says...
>>>
>>> That has everything to do with the speed differences between the 5200
>>
>>> and 5700 and almost nothing to do with the vid ram.
>>
>> Its amazing how much main memory can speed things up. (Not graphics
>> card memory)
>>
>> I have a P4 1.6GHz with 512Mb of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with
>> 128Mb. EQ2 was very close to unplayable with this system. I had to
>> change to extreme performance on the lowest resolution just to get it
>> anywhere near close to playable.
>>
>> Last night I put extra memory in to make it 1Gb and the change is
>> amazing. I put the setting up to balanced, turned down a few options
>> that I consider aren't worth the extra CPU power and changed the screen
>> res to be 1280x1024. The game has been transformed!
>>
>> I was very worried that I would have to upgrade my whole system at an
>> extra cost of £300 but that won't be needed now. :)
>>

> Yep, 1GB of dual channel PC3200 memory here, plus a 9800 Pro 128MB, and
> the game rocks.
>
> --
> On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
> Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 68 seasons
>
> On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
> Graeme, 14 Dwarven Shaman, 12 Scholar

I currently play EQ1 - I have a P4 3.0, Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb and 2 gigs of
ram. Is this sufficient to run EQ2?

Thanks!

Lou

Fleeble - 50 Cleric
Stromm

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <JPpnd.5975$pK6.2765@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
biglou@ix.netcom.com says...

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in

> >> Its amazing how much main memory can speed things up. (Not graphics
> >> card memory)
> >>
> >> I have a P4 1.6GHz with 512Mb of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with
> >> 128Mb. EQ2 was very close to unplayable with this system. I had to
> >> change to extreme performance on the lowest resolution just to get it
> >> anywhere near close to playable.
> >>
> >> Last night I put extra memory in to make it 1Gb and the change is
> >> amazing. I put the setting up to balanced, turned down a few options
> >> that I consider aren't worth the extra CPU power and changed the screen
> >> res to be 1280x1024. The game has been transformed!
> >>
> >> I was very worried that I would have to upgrade my whole system at an
> >> extra cost of £300 but that won't be needed now. :)
> >>

> > Yep, 1GB of dual channel PC3200 memory here, plus a 9800 Pro 128MB, and
> > the game rocks.
> >
> > --
> > On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
> > Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 68 seasons
> >
> > On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
> > Graeme, 14 Dwarven Shaman, 12 Scholar
>
> I currently play EQ1 - I have a P4 3.0, Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb and 2 gigs of
> ram. Is this sufficient to run EQ2?

Are you serious? Or just clued out? EQ2 doesn't require half that. No
game in existence does yet.

"Lou Vincze" <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in

>>> Its amazing how much main memory can speed things up. (Not graphics
>>> card memory)
>>>
>>> I have a P4 1.6GHz with 512Mb of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with
>>> 128Mb. EQ2 was very close to unplayable with this system. I had to
>>> change to extreme performance on the lowest resolution just to get
>>> it anywhere near close to playable.
>>>
>>> Last night I put extra memory in to make it 1Gb and the change is
>>> amazing. I put the setting up to balanced, turned down a few
>>> options that I consider aren't worth the extra CPU power and changed
>>> the screen res to be 1280x1024. The game has been transformed!
>>>
>>> I was very worried that I would have to upgrade my whole system at
>>> an extra cost of £300 but that won't be needed now. :)
>>>

>> Yep, 1GB of dual channel PC3200 memory here, plus a 9800 Pro 128MB,
>> and the game rocks.
>>
>> --
>> On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
>> Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 68 seasons
>>
>> On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
>> Graeme, 14 Dwarven Shaman, 12 Scholar
>
> I currently play EQ1 - I have a P4 3.0, Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb and 2
> gigs of ram. Is this sufficient to run EQ2?

Definitely. I have 1GB less ram, and an about equivalent processor, same
video card.

--

> "KY" <kyhighland@adelphia.net> wrote in
>
>> Man what a difference 256 meg of vid ram makes. I just upgraded my
>> 5200 to a 5700 and it is unreal how well the grafics are now.
>>

> I suspect most of the difference was going from 5200 to 5700, the 5200 is
> dog, I have a 256MB 5200, and it's sitting in a box collecting dust, it
> was
> slower than my 4200-128MB.

The package for this BFG nvidia card said it was overclocked. LOL . It got
real laggy tonight (fri) may have to turn things down a bit.

Lou Vincze wrote:
> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
>
>>"steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in

>>>Its amazing how much main memory can speed things up. (Not graphics
>>>card memory)
>>>
>>>I have a P4 1.6GHz with 512Mb of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with
>>>128Mb. EQ2 was very close to unplayable with this system. I had to
>>>change to extreme performance on the lowest resolution just to get it
>>>anywhere near close to playable.
>>>
>>>Last night I put extra memory in to make it 1Gb and the change is
>>>amazing. I put the setting up to balanced, turned down a few options
>>>that I consider aren't worth the extra CPU power and changed the screen
>>>res to be 1280x1024. The game has been transformed!
>>>
>>>I was very worried that I would have to upgrade my whole system at an
>>>extra cost of £300 but that won't be needed now. :)
>>>

>>Yep, 1GB of dual channel PC3200 memory here, plus a 9800 Pro 128MB, and
>>the game rocks.
>>
>>--
>>On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
>>Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 68 seasons
>>
>>On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
>>Graeme, 14 Dwarven Shaman, 12 Scholar
>

> I currently play EQ1 - I have a P4 3.0, Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb and 2 gigs of
> ram. Is this sufficient to run EQ2?

*lurker appears from hiding*

Yes, it is. Bastard with a high-end system. I'm going to go back into
my lurking corner now, so that I can go sulk over the betterness of your
system over mine.

*glowers and returns to hiding*

--
The Astute Andrew
Just a kid seeking enlightenment.

In article <MPG.1c07258d2b505b3f9898b4@shawnews>, 42 wrote:
> That has everything to do with the speed differences between the 5200
> and 5700 and almost nothing to do with the vid ram.

You sure about that? I've got a 5900xt with 128 meg, and it gets pretty slow
in some places. I've been told that EQ2 is *very* texture-intensive, and can
benefit greatly from more video ram.

--
--Tim Smith

Graeme Faelban wrote:
> "KY" <kyhighland@adelphia.net> wrote in
>

>>Man what a difference 256 meg of vid ram makes. I just upgraded my
>>5200 to a 5700 and it is unreal how well the grafics are now.
>>

> I suspect most of the difference was going from 5200 to 5700, the 5200 is a
> dog, I have a 256MB 5200, and it's sitting in a box collecting dust, it was
> slower than my 4200-128MB.

True.
However I find that turning the texture resolution way up kills
performance on my 128M FX5900 card but doesn't make nearly as much
difference on my 256MB Radeon mobility 9800.

I know the 9800 mobility is faster but turning up the texture resolution
makes much less *difference* on this card which I imagine is mostly due
to it having enough texture memory to hold the textures...

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <E_End.6604$pK6.2578@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com says...
> In article <MPG.1c07258d2b505b3f9898b4@shawnews>, 42 wrote:
> > That has everything to do with the speed differences between the 5200
> > and 5700 and almost nothing to do with the vid ram.
>
> You sure about that?

Yes.

> I've got a 5900xt with 128 meg, and it gets pretty slow
> in some places. I've been told that EQ2 is *very* texture-intensive, and can
> benefit greatly from more video ram.

EQ2 probably can benefit from xtra v-ram. And if your running textures
at max, it probably will make a difference.

However, that said, the OP was running in low-res modes and still
getting barely playable performance. In his case the jump out of the
5200 to the 5700 would account for almost all his performance boost. I
remain confident the v-ram was not the bottleneck.