Sign in with
Your question

Do I need to disable my onboard audio?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2001 1:01:20 AM

Ok, just got my motherboard, the FIC AD11. I bought a Sound Blaster Live Value sound card. Do i have to disable the integrated audio to get it to work, or will it work automatically when I install it, and if I do have to disable the audio how do I do it?

Pentium WHAT? It's not contagious is it?

More about : disable onboard audio

July 30, 2001 2:15:19 AM

boy, red sox nation would be frowning on me for helping a yankee fan but.... lol. you can disable it on your mobo by rirtue of a jumper or in your bios. its probably not a huge deal, but i think its using an irq unnecessarily and should be disabled. GO SOX!!

...and i would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids...
July 30, 2001 2:20:23 AM

No it is not neccessary.
In the control panel open the Sound and Multimedia icon. Then select the audio tab and make sure the Sound Blaster Live Value card is selected as the preferred device.
This is the Windows control for your sound card. Any third party audio software you use make sure that in the program's properties that it uses the Windows preferred audio device. If you don't Windows will crash and sometimes you will get a horrible squeal from your system speakers.

This usually happens at 3am and scares the **** out of you!!!

<font color=green>I miss the smell of leaded gasoline!</font color=green>
July 30, 2001 2:27:25 AM

tdean has a good point.
If you physically disable your on board sound it will release an IRQ address.
On some boards it can be done by installing or removing a jumper on others it can be done within the bios.
For example I am using an Intel D815EEA motherboard and the on board sound can be disabled in the bios.

<font color=green>I miss the smell of leaded gasoline!</font color=green>
!