133 FSB jumper?

G

I've got a AZ11 model motherboard from fica. I'm going to be upgrading my processor soon and I've got some questions. I noticed a jumper for my FSB, with 100mhz or 133mhz settings. What I was wondering was, if I bought something like a 1.4ghz athlon for 266mhz would it work on my board?

http://www.fica.com/products/motherboard/Socket462/AZ11.stm is the url for my board. I don't know much on the multiplier or anything so if anyone could help, I'd appreciate it,
~Nick

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
no problem, your Athlon 266 MHz will run at 133 MHz, but access twice the amount of data by a technique called Double Data Rate, where it reads/writes data to/from memory twice every Hz as opposed to just once that older processors did. thats <i>effectively</i> 266 MHz!

and these processors are not identified by this effective frequency but the real frequency and it this real frequency that gets multiplied internally to get those high speeds. so a 1.2 GHz Athlon could be 100 MHz x 12, or 133 MHz x 9. you could actually increase a bit of this base frequency FSB and run your processor higher than rated. or you could change the multiplier and fool your processor into believing its rated higher than it is. it will run at a (multiplier x FSB) speed.

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

G

So CPU speed is FSB X the multiplier? How can I find out how high my mine goes?

Latest posts