cablemodem vs vp6 - help!

G

I had both my motherboards fry the other day, and I think my cable modem is surging - anyone else ever have that problem?

One was gone - had to replace.
On my VP6, however, I have the following:
The harddrive is fried (checked it on another machine, sent it for recovery). When I attach a formatted HD, it works no problem. When I try to format a fresh HD with the VP6, it dosent read, and wont boot from it.
So--- it reads an already formatted HD (at least one of them), but dosent read or format one, and it fried one HD.
Could it be a surge? Could it be an IDE problem?

Comments on this would be appreciated.
Running VP6 dual 1000s 1ghz ram. W2k (the tested hd was partitioned 2k and 98).

Thanks!
echo

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
What type of cablemodem do you have? I can't visualize either an ethernet or USB version frying a mobo. Stranger things have happened, I guess.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

The cablemodem is the 3com sharkfin. It's both upload and download.
My old systems board friend inexplicably a few months ago. I rebuilt with the VP6, has been working great. All of a sudden on Friday my harddrive failed (sounds mechancial, makes lovely noises). -
What leads me to believe its the cable modem: I dragged the other machine over and set it up to log on and troubleshoot the first. Got on, froze. Restarted and ended up with continual beeping (usually a video or ram failure - tested and narrowed to the mobo). At the *same* time the cable modem went out, as did our tv's cable - and got fuzzy lines.
Thinking that maybe the cable line may not be grounded properly or something - if you have another deduction as to what could be causing these problems, great.
Also deduced that it may be electrical wires behind our walls, so i moved my station. Been losing hardware left and right, with barely a connection - besides the cable modem.

Echo

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Thats an ethernet modem? Can't see as there would be any appreciable current going into your NIC through the 10BaseT cable. Anyone?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Hrm -
Ethernet, yes. Comments VERY welcome then, as I'm at a loss. The second machine fried pretty much immediately upon connecting, and the cable modem is the only thing that was new -
again, same time the tv went out (and stayed out for about 10 hours). Hrm...
Suggestions welcome! I just want to stop these problems - Got myself an ethernet surge protector as well - that had better work.

Thx
echo