BX6 (rev 1.0) and Windows 2000

G

I have an BX6 (rev 1.0) and I would like to install Windows 2000, but immediately after setup is complete, it fails to boot up. Any ideas?

*Groovy*

G

Gets past the BIOS screens and then nothing, blank screen.

*Groovy*

G

whatever is on the board. The BX6 has an Intel 440BX chipset on-board. I am running Win2k with no problems on another machine with a 440BX.

*Groovy*

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Normally when people post about a particular problem they try to give as much information as possible about their setup, otherwise it's extremely difficult to hazard a guess based on 1 or 2 facts. I'm assuming "Whatever is one the board" means you're using IDE controller and IDE drives. The reason I asked the question was I couldn't tell if you were possibly using SCSI. See what I mean?

Any chance of getting a complete rundown on the system? At this point I personally have no clue. Maybe someone else does, though. FWIW

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Well let's see:
Celeron 533A overclocked to 800MHz (100MHz FSB) on an Abit SlotKet!!! card
Abit BX-6 rev 1.0 motherboard with on-board IDE controller
ATi All-in-Wonder 128 Pro video card (AGP)
Sound Blaster Live! Platinum sound card (PCI)
Linksys 10/100 PCI Ethernet card
128MB of Crucial PC133 CAS2 RAM
Western Digital 5400rpm 45 GB IDE hard drive
Plextor 12x10x32x IDE CD-R/RW
generic floppy drive

Anyway, it installs totally properly, but after the install is complete, I get a blank screen. It also fails to reboot, via Ctrl-Alt-Del. I think it may be to do with the video card, but that is something I would have checked before. I will check again and see, I guess, by installing using another video card and nothing unessential in the machine to begin with. I have had no stability issues with this overclock, but I can turn that down too.

I am just wondering if anyone else has a BX-6 (rev 1.0) running Win2k successfully, or if I am the only one trying this with this old board. :)

Also,
Is there any BIOS out there which allow for higher multipliers? I realize Intel CPUs are locked, but I have to manually set my overclock each time I start the system, if the multiplier is over 8.0x. Remember, this is a rev 1.0 board...

*Groovy*

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Well, thats more like it. First suspect: Overclocking. I'd clock it down to spec and see what happens. Secondly: Remove all extra crap when doing the install (Sound Card, NIC, etc). Video card doesn't sound like a problem.

Actually, I've got a BX6 Rev1.0 running Win2k. I've got a Celeron 400 Slot version not overclocked, along with a SB16 and a 3COM NIC, 2 sticks of Crucial PC133 128's, 230W PS, and a VooDoo3 3000. FWIW (again).

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Which bios version and how have you got the HDD partioned, I'm not sure if the rev 1 6BX can take a primary partition > 10gig. (my 20 gig is in five partitons, but that's mainly so I can duel boot win98 and linux on it)

--------------------------------

Look at the size of that thing!

G

I am using QS (the latest BIOS). It is supposed to allow for larger than 40GB hard drives. Anyway, I have an 8GB primary, with the rest broken into 3 logical partitions, 2-16GB and one ~5GB.

*Groovy*

G

I thought (this morning) that maybe I only had trouble after loading the video card drivers, but I know that couldn't have been the case, as I would have realized that when it happened. I will try to reinstall, this week, with no overclock and only essential equipment included during the install. I will use a different video card anyway because I have 3 total.

*Groovy*

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'm not sure if the rev 1 6BX can take a primary partition > 10gig
nope - I've got one 30g FAT32 (because of dual boot with WinMe for the kids) on mine, with old BIOS. No problem.

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
That's that idea out of the window then.

If you take a look at the bios revisions here
<A HREF="http:// http://www.giga-byte.com/support/mbbios_index.htm" target="_new">gigabyte support</A>

You'll notice that there have been a few issues with HDD's hence my question.

if you haven't you flashed to the latest BIOS, It's worth doing anyway also notice it's says celeron support to 700M only on rev 2 boards.

Look at the size of that thing!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Gog on 07/31/01 12:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
it's says celeron support to 700M only on rev 2 boards.
Actually, you can't flash to rev 2 (just in case you didn't know that) but I'll bet you can use a Slotket even on rev 1

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
The way I read it from the site was that you can't go as far 700M on a REV 1 board which may be why it's not happy with the slotket setup.

(BTW I know you can't flash from R1 to R2 but you can flash to the latest R1 bios).

Look at the size of that thing!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I've actually got a Slotket with a 700 PIII in it. If I can pry the BX6 away from the wife for an hour I'll try it in there to see what happens.