Sign in with
Your question

Weird Computer Lag Problem

Last response: in Video Games
August 20, 2011 6:13:25 PM

I bought a Alienware m15x not to long ago, I installed a few games (Starcraft 2, TF2). Every thing was working fine until I bought CoD4 from Steam. CoD4 had a really bad frame rate lag problem, but i noticed it was also affecting Starcraft 2. I have re installed CoD4 a few times and it has changed nothing. Starcraft will run fine some days were I will get 60+ fps but other days i will get 12 fps. This only started to happen after i had bought CoD4 from Steam. I have no clue why this would happen and i could use some help.

August 20, 2011 6:15:23 PM

Try a virus scan.
m
l
August 21, 2011 5:38:50 PM

Yeah, I've done that. I did a full AVG scan and it came up clean.
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2011 11:25:52 AM

Have you tried uninstalling COD or has it nearly filled your hard drive.
m
l
August 23, 2011 4:26:35 PM

Check if you're GPU is overheating. Does the dip in FPS happen with all games ?
m
l
August 23, 2011 5:03:44 PM

you need to clean registry when you uninstall something,

you wouldnt leave the burnt on crud at the bottem of a pot after making stew then leaving it there till you make the next one, would you?

ccleaner is one of the easysit to use, might as well install and run smart defrag 2 while your at it as well, this will speed your computer up
m
l
August 25, 2011 8:51:46 PM

simon12 said:
Have you tried uninstalling COD or has it nearly filled your hard drive.

CoD is off my hard drive
m
l
August 25, 2011 8:53:08 PM

shanky887614 said:
you need to clean registry when you uninstall something,

you wouldnt leave the burnt on crud at the bottem of a pot after making stew then leaving it there till you make the next one, would you?

ccleaner is one of the easysit to use, might as well install and run smart defrag 2 while your at it as well, this will speed your computer up

ok, so i just download those programs you talked about?
m
l
August 25, 2011 8:57:47 PM

Gman450 said:
Check if you're GPU is overheating. Does the dip in FPS happen with all games ?

yeah the fps drop happens in all games, how can i see if it is over heating?
m
l
August 26, 2011 10:27:53 AM

Download HWMonitor
m
l
August 28, 2011 10:10:06 PM

Tell us what Graphics card and we can give you a specific answer.

I'd say 80 degrees C is when alarm bells should start ringing, but some systems run higher than that.
m
l
August 29, 2011 5:13:13 AM

Either what Nihilis told you
Or just take a screenshot and upload it.
Otherwise, just check the temps and type it here.

@Nihilis
Where were you the past month ? :) 
m
l
August 29, 2011 5:39:35 AM

Gman450 said:
Either what Nihilis told you
Or just take a screenshot and upload it.
Otherwise, just check the temps and type it here.

@Nihilis
Where were you the past month ? :) 

+1 jillion, what was I supposed to do without my accomplice with the voice of reason?
m
l
August 29, 2011 8:11:02 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
+1 jillion, what was I supposed to do without my accomplice with the voice of reason?

Ahhh, I was only here on a pseudo "holiday" while in France :(  I still pop back every now and again (like now), but unfortunately time waits for no one, and I never have enough to carry on like I did back then.

I'll try to make sure I'm around as much as possible though so I can continue being an accomplice ;P

Nice to see you all again though folks :) 

-Nih
m
l
September 7, 2011 8:42:55 PM

if i leave my computer off for a few days and then power it up and play a game it will still have the same problems, which is why i dont thinks its related to heat
m
l
September 7, 2011 11:10:34 PM

FunkMasterMitch said:
if i leave my computer off for a few days and then power it up and play a game it will still have the same problems, which is why i dont thinks its related to heat

the moment you start playing a game, it can overheat. You could leave it off for a month, and it would still happen if overheating was the case
m
l
September 8, 2011 1:17:49 AM

ok so ive had it on for about 5 hours, havent really played any games but the temputer of my gtx 260m is 48c
m
l
!