Test Message From Phone

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
November 17, 2004 11:00:40 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to send a numeric message to a Verizon
phone.

You may be asking yourself why one would want to do this???

Well, I am trying to save some money in my fire department. All captains
and above have pagers, and some lower ranks. Some officers have a cell
phone and a pager. We all know that you can send a text message to a cell
phone from another cell phone and via e-mail. But, someone that only has a
land line and does not have broadband Internet has no way of sending a text
message to a cell phone. Now, you might say, why not just call the person?
Yea, that is true, but some people might just want to alert the person to
call them - just like calling a pager.

Sprint has a feature where the caller can dial 11 and then the number and be
put directly to voice mail.

Tks

Brian

Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"

More about : test message phone

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 9:26:39 AM

In article <idsnp0h2eb4ar5lumd1pknebatd5r5ppu1@4ax.com>,
SkyPilot <skypilotnospam@writeme.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to send a numeric message to a Verizon
>phone.
>
>You may be asking yourself why one would want to do this???
>
>Well, I am trying to save some money in my fire department. All captains
>and above have pagers, and some lower ranks. Some officers have a cell
>phone and a pager. We all know that you can send a text message to a cell
>phone from another cell phone and via e-mail. But, someone that only has a
>land line and does not have broadband Internet has no way of sending a text
>message to a cell phone. Now, you might say, why not just call the person?
>Yea, that is true, but some people might just want to alert the person to
>call them - just like calling a pager.
>
>Sprint has a feature where the caller can dial 11 and then the number and be
>put directly to voice mail.

Office Message Alert is what you want. You dial a toll-free number, then
enter the number of the phone you want to page and the callback number,
and then the numeric page is sent to that phone.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2002/10/pr2002-10-28.html

Also, you can search for "business OMA" in alt.cellular.verizon on Google.

8882843811+ pause + (cellular number) + (caller ID of incoming call)

is the sequence, but it has to be turned on by customer service. No
charge other than for the incoming message on the phone.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 2:05:51 PM

Why don't you use Police codes with phone # ie: 555-1212-1099 = Officer down
or 555-1212-1144 = Call Coroner. I am sure you guys can figure out something
that would work for you.

"SkyPilot" <skypilotnospam@writeme.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if it is possible to send a numeric message to a Verizon
> phone.
>
> You may be asking yourself why one would want to do this???
>
> Well, I am trying to save some money in my fire department. All captains
> and above have pagers, and some lower ranks. Some officers have a cell
> phone and a pager. We all know that you can send a text message to a cell
> phone from another cell phone and via e-mail. But, someone that only has
> land line and does not have broadband Internet has no way of sending a
> text
> message to a cell phone. Now, you might say, why not just call the
> person?
> Yea, that is true, but some people might just want to alert the person to
> call them - just like calling a pager.
>
> Sprint has a feature where the caller can dial 11 and then the number and
> be
> put directly to voice mail.
>
> Tks
>
> Brian

> Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares
> wins"
> Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
> B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
> Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
> Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
> "Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
November 19, 2004 10:12:36 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:05:51 GMT, "NoneHere" <NoneHere@noplace.com>
wrote:

>Why don't you use Police codes with phone # ie: 555-1212-1099 = Officer down
>or 555-1212-1144 = Call Coroner. I am sure you guys can figure out something
>that would work for you.

Might help to read his message next time....
!