ASUS A7M266

G

I recently built my new system, but I dont get anything but the long continous error beeps which imply that there is no memory detected. I have a 128MB stick of Corsair PC2400. Here are the system specs.

ASUS A7M266
128MB Corsair PC2400
Athlon 1.2GHz.
Thermosonic Thermoengine V60-4210
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40GB
Creative Labs Live! X-Gamer
ASUS V7700 Prue 32MB
Plextor PlexWriter 12/10/32

It doesnt POST at all. It power up and all the fans are running properly, but the it just beeps. I dont know if I got a lemon on the memory, or what the deal is. Any help would be greatly apprecitated. Thanks

G

Normally, I would agree that it doesnt support PC2400, but I have read other posts on these boards where people have used the A7M266 in conjunction with PC2400.

I took it to a local store here and swapped out the memory. It booted, POSTed and worked fine. I am sending the memory back to see if that was it. I suppose the possibility is still there that the A7M266 doesnt supposrt PC2400, but I was under the impression that PC2400 was just a CAS2 PC150 MHz. version of PC2100.

Reseating the video card wouldnt do anything. It wont POST. It has to find the memory before it can begin to look for the video card. Once that happens, then it can give me the error code beeps for not being able to find the video card. I have tried seating, reseating, and reseating again. I have tried both slots multiple times.

Thanks for everyones help. Keep the replies coming.

G

I used Corsair PC2400 in my A7M266, but exchanged it for Crucial (1/2 the price and works at 145 FSB at 222 settings). The Corsair worked fine during the two weeks I used it. The "2400" simply means it is rated to 150FSB (meaning a real OC well above that should be possible, if the machine and CPU can stand it, PC2100 is rated to 133, and PC1600 is rated to 100. They just decided to make it complicated, or maybe they thought people would confuse DDR 133 with SDram 133, thus the new classification program. And come to think of it, they were probably right. Interesting to note that even Corsair, which is rated as 222, my bios using SPD thought it was 2.5-3-3, so I had to override in bios and manually set it. The Crucial was rated at 2.5-3-3, but runs at 222 just great.

Can't we all just overclock?

G

I forgot your inquiry needs and answer. I also lean toward the memory not being fully seated. I had a hard time seating mine, and was afraid I would break something. I would really look at that issue.

G

If swapping new memory does not work, it sounds like a board problem. Hope you can return the machine to the vendor under warranty?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Memory seating tip (DIMM): Insert only one end, then push down on the other end. Makes my life so much easier :wink:

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

TRENDING THREADS