Sign in with
Your question

Why does the dx11 patch for Crysis 2 crash my system?

Last response: in Video Games
August 21, 2011 4:55:56 AM

Hey guys, my newly built system cannot seem to run the new dx11 patch even though I have the newest hardware.
The game crashes, and windows says "Nvidia display driver has stopped working and has successfully recovered."
I have tried most versions of my display driver to see if they worked, and none did. I am now currently running the newest version. My system specs are:
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
GIGABYTE GV-N580UD-15I GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
4 gb ram
950w power supply
Apparently Gigabytes card with the Nvidia 580 chip that I have has been factory overclocked, and here are the specs for my card:
Core Clock 795 MHz
Shader Clock 1590 MHz
Memory Clock 4008 MHz
Process Technology 40 nm
Memory Size 1536 MB
Memory Bus 384 bit
Card Bus PCI-E 2.0
Memory Type GDDR5
DirectX 11
OpenGL 4.0
PCB Form ATX
Digital max resolution 2560 x 1600
Analog max resolution 2048 x 1536
Multi-view 2

As you can see, the card is good enough to handle the patch, yet the issues seems to be a gpu issue. Do you guys have any suggestions? Btw, I do not have the High-Resolution Texture Pack.
August 21, 2011 6:19:58 AM

it could be ram related.... idk how much ram it uses cause i never have came close to running out but you are on a 32 bit OS so that limits you to 3.5 gb of ram and then by the time the OS is done you only would have less then 2.5 gb of ram...
m
l
August 21, 2011 1:55:30 PM

Yea, I definitely would want to upgrade to 8gb of ram, but I have heard that overclocking your graphics card can cause issues, especially when running something as powerful as the dx11 update. I have read that the card heats up way too much trying to push itself, and this causes the game to crash. My card is factory overclocked, but I know that the companies, Gigabyte in my case, don't push them too hard. Would you guys recommend that I under-clock it? If so, how would you recommend that I do it (what program to use, I have seen a lot)?
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2011 5:31:12 PM

use hwmonitor to check your temps.
m
l
August 21, 2011 5:49:01 PM

I have my single gtx580@ 850core clock/2050memory clock and play on ultra with dx11 and high res package and tops out around 80c which is gettin kinda hot but well within max temps..

I know all cards are different, but I wouldn't think they would be THAT different. but you never know, I always check temps on demanding games like that to make sure I am not getting too hot so it would be a good idea.

Also during game play my ram usage is around 4.2GB, but I do have other programs running so I am not sure how much crysis2 is using alone I would have to check

I would upgrade to x64 OS personally... with x32 you can only make use of about 3.5GB of that ram which is extremely pushing it, and probably the cause of the crashes.
m
l
August 21, 2011 6:34:40 PM

It may just be the fact that Crytek in all their awesomeness and abode decided to make the game a direct port, with that when you install patches and mods with complete overhauls you run the risk of corrupting data or running into conflicts. Overhauls don't work.

m
l
August 21, 2011 10:14:22 PM

Sounds like your factory overclock is not entirely stable. When that happens the you get the 'nvidia display driver stopped working message'. Either the temps are getting too high, or the card isn't pulling enough voltage to support the overclock at maximum load. If the temps are okay you may want to slightly increase the voltage to try to make the overclock more stable, or run the card at the GTX 580's stock clocks for that particular game.
m
l
August 23, 2011 3:37:52 AM

No offence but is the game copy legit??
m
l
March 23, 2012 7:31:24 AM

Otto45 said:
Hey guys, my newly built system cannot seem to run the new dx11 patch even though I have the newest hardware.
The game crashes, and windows says "Nvidia display driver has stopped working and has successfully recovered."
I have tried most versions of my display driver to see if they worked, and none did. I am now currently running the newest version. My system specs are:
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
GIGABYTE GV-N580UD-15I GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
4 gb ram
950w power supply
Apparently Gigabytes card with the Nvidia 580 chip that I have has been factory overclocked, and here are the specs for my card:
Core Clock 795 MHz
Shader Clock 1590 MHz
Memory Clock 4008 MHz
Process Technology 40 nm
Memory Size 1536 MB
Memory Bus 384 bit
Card Bus PCI-E 2.0
Memory Type GDDR5
DirectX 11
OpenGL 4.0
PCB Form ATX
Digital max resolution 2560 x 1600
Analog max resolution 2048 x 1536
Multi-view 2

As you can see, the card is good enough to handle the patch, yet the issues seems to be a gpu issue. Do you guys have any suggestions? Btw, I do not have the High-Resolution Texture Pack.

I had the same problem. Turned out it was my factory overclock causing it. I used the software my EVGA card came with so now I'm running it like it's a stock reference card. It's completely stable now :) 
m
l
!