Monitor vs Motherboard compatibility??

geronimo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hi all,

I assembled a new system recently with a Winsonic motherboard. The monitor I used was a Sony Trinitron which was transferred from my other computer.

However, after I shut down the system after use and try to switch it on again, the monitor does not seem to come on, still remains in the power saving mode with the yellow light.

It can't be the monitor cos it worked perfectly fine in my old system.

Could anyone help? Would really appreciate it.

Next time try holding down the insert key while your system is booting up. Sometimes this will get you to post so you can get into the bios. Are you overclocking or running at the default settings? Also, is your first pass video setting in the bios set to pci or agp? Some motherboards require you to use the same setting as your video card.

geronimo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
I have already tried amending some of the options in the bios, changed them to AGP except for the few like PCI master which i think has no relation to the monitor or display. Still doesn't work

Anyway my PCchipset is VIA KT133, would the problem arise because of that?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'm confused. The system will come up sometimes? Won't come up other times? Under what circumstances will it come up? Do you have to wait 5 minutes or something? Riddle me...

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

geronimo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
It never comes on when i sue the monitor on my other system. You see after I shut down and then turns on the power again, the monitor remians in sleep. (normal system would just come off sleep mode) The only way I managed to get the monitor on again is by turning off the main power supply

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
So you're saying it won't come back up after a soft reboot, but it will come back up after a hard reboot?

RCPilot

Champion
Check & make sure that your vid card is fully seated in the slot. The same thing happened to me as well. Couldn't figure it out for awhile, but when the light on the monitor wouldn't catch on post, I'd have to just wiggle the vid board & bingo the next time it would go right up. Finally I pushed real hard on the vid board & felt it seat a little farther in the slot, problem solved. Hope that it's your case as well.

Skinny

How do you eat a elephant? One bite at a time!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
soft rebooting won't work. hmmmm.... have you tried it with all but the essential hardware removed (i.e. just Vid card, RAM and disk drive)?