Can my ASUS P2B98-XV mobo support a (slot1) PIII?

G

Hi people!

I have an ASUS P2B98-XV mobo, PCB rev. 2.00, and I am currently using a Celeron 300A processor. The user manual for this mobo, that can be found in ASUS home page, deals only with the PCB rev. 1.02, i.e., an older version of my board. According to this (old) manual my board will work with a PII 450MHz at MOST.

Does anyone know if it can hold a (slot 1) PIII???
I know that it has jumpers for 66 and 100MHz buses and for multipliers up to 5.0X, so perhaps it could use a PIII 500MHz...

Thank you for any help!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu can definately run up to the PIII 600 with the Katmai core. I don't know if you can get BIOS support for the newer Coppermine core. The naming thing-the 600 Katmai has twice as much cache as the Coppermine, but running at half the speed. As such it is listed on Pricewatch as the "600MHz 512k".
Multiplier is unimportant. Any PII/PIII from 350 up has it's own internal multiplier which overrides that of the motherboard.
Coppermines are usually listed a E and EB processors, these are the ones I cannot verify to work on your board
Any processor with a "B" is designed to run at 133MHz FSB, which means that it would not run at full speed on your system.
For your system I recommend either the "600MHz 512k", "550MHz 512k", or "450" PIII processors from the Pricewatch list, depending on how much you want to spend. Or you can try a Celeron 366 at 550 if you would like to save even more money.

Video killed my Radio Card!