DHCP

If I were to turn on DHCP using my router software Winroute lite
to let people access the Internet through my network how can I
keep people from accessing my files? I password protected all my
shared drives but will someone be able to crack that?

I'm using 128 bit WEP on my wireless network but I guess I would
need to disable that to let people on wouldn't I?

Ideas or recommendations will be appreciated.
George F.
2 answers Last reply
More about dhcp

    I depends on your AP. Proxim for instance, lets you turn off client to
    client communication; assuming that the clients can't connect directly.

    Best bet is to have your local network on a different network via
    firewall.

    ISPInet into one port
    192.168.100.0/24 on secondary
    192.168.200.0/24 on trinary

    You then setup the firewall to block ALL communication from .100 <> .200
    then NAT both .100 and .200 to your ISP. Note that this still doesn't
    solve the multiple computers that could be seen on either network. Your
    neighbors need to know that this is a possiblity -> could be a good
    thing or bad thing depending on your neighbors.

    have fun!

    todh

    George Fleagle wrote:

    > If I were to turn on DHCP using my router software Winroute lite
    > to let people access the Internet through my network how can I
    > keep people from accessing my files? I password protected all my
    > shared drives but will someone be able to crack that?
    >
    > I'm using 128 bit WEP on my wireless network but I guess I would
    > need to disable that to let people on wouldn't I?
    >
    > Ideas or recommendations will be appreciated.
    > George F.

    There is actually no way to allow others to access the internet over your
    router and keep your home netowork save with common SOHO wireless routers.
    In most routers the WLAN and the LAN interface are bridged, always allowing
    the WLAN users to access the LAN.

    On enterprise level firewalls, VPN-Gateways and a dedicated network for
    access points will make it possible.

    Thomas

DHCP Internet Wireless Networking