Help, new mobo+cpu but no signal to monitor

Fejrskov

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
I have just bought a Chaintech 7VJD2 motherboard and a Duron 800MhZ CPU. The mobo supports both DDR and SDRAM.

After installing the mobo, cpu, RAM (pc133), graphicscard (Hercules Gforce 2 MX) i connected the floppydrive and startet the machine.

Result: Power LED is on. CPU fan is on. Monitor telling asking for a signal. Besides the power switch doesn't turn the PC off I need to plug out the power cable.

If i connect the HD and CD-ROM they start spinning so there is power. I even tried plugging in an old TNT AGP card but no change.

I have tried to clear CMOS data, and checked that the graphiccard is in place but so far no change.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
If there is no beep sound at all when power is applied, its either mobo, cpu or PS. Remove the cpu and reseat it. Check the PS connector is firmly seated and that there are no lead wires being pushed out. If possible try swapping this three items. If you don't have any, beg, steal (j/k) or borrow one.

It don't come easy.......not always.

PS: make sure you clear the cmos.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
seems the board is dead.

does the CPU fan spin? (it takes power from the board, so if it does the board is powered on)

remove all the devices from the board including memory, clear CMOS, and just connect the speaker (it isnt polarised). switch on the power, if it starts beeping then the board is probably okay.

now put the memory and power it on, if it emits one long beep and two short ones, then again the board seems to be okay, it has now detected the memory but hasnt found the video card.

now put the video card and connect the monitor to it. now if those one-small-two-short beeps are missing then it has detected the video card. see if the monitor switches modes once or twice (some monitors' power LEDs will change colours or some will blink) and then remains stable (if there is no signal, it either stays red/orange or keep blinking).

if this is so, then probaby the display card is faulty. clear CMOS and try using a simple PCI VGA card.

if the power switch doesnt work, then no code is running (the ATX power switch command goes through BIOS) and even the CPU might be bad, but thats a rarest of cases. probably its just a bad board. try changing the CPU if possible.

if nothing works then you probaby have a bad motherboard, check if those display cards work on other boards, or some differnt card work on your board.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Couple of things.

1) Check (& RECHECK) all of your case leads (ESPECIALLY) the Power Switch and Reset button leads. Sometimes, you need to either flip the connector over, or move one of the wires.

2) Is your power supply an ATX unit with a power switch on it? (On the power supply itself?) If so, does this shut the unit down? If not, and you using an Antec Power Supply yank it and get a good one with a power switch, Like an Enermax EG-365P-VE.

3) Seat, REMOVE and RESEAT the video card. I've seen these AGP puppies having to be reseated 10+ times before getting a good video seat. Make sure she's going ALL the way down into the slot. Don't be afraid to put it in and take it out 8 or 10 times before even trying to power up the system.

4) Check your floppy drive cable and ensure that it is on with the red stripe closest to the power connector.

Steve

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'