Short A-650 Battery Life

I got a Samsung A-650 last week as a new Verizon customer from Sprint. The
rated standby time on the Verizon site is 190 hours standby time but after
two discharge to auto-shutoff I only get 72 hours, much less than half of
what was claimed. The last 72 hours was with less than 20 minutes of phone
time (combined talk/receive), power save on, keyboard and display time out
set to 5 seconds. Can I walk into my local Verizon store and ask for a
replacement battery after explaining this to them or do I have to call/email
Verizon?

--
"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence-three times is enemy action."
5 answers Last reply

    Standby time is just that. If you open the phone up and look at anything on
    the screen or do anything with the phone that uses power consider that time
    as talk time. Given that bit of information I would say that 20 min of talk
    time and about 79min of total play time is just about what you would get in
    total usage time of 72 hours. If you want to squeeze more time out of the
    phone cut your key tones off, do not use high or long settings on the screen
    backlight and do not use vibrator silent mode and keep your ring tones short
    and just loud enough to hear. Get out of the habit of opening the phone to
    look at the new play pretty. You will be surprised at how long the phone
    will stay in standby mode. Also stay away from analog mode with the tri-mode
    phone as this eats batteries up at 3X+ the digital mode rate. Hope this
    helps RICHARD

    "Oliver Cromwell" <rosewar12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I got a Samsung A-650 last week as a new Verizon customer from Sprint. The
    >rated standby time on the Verizon site is 190 hours standby time but after
    >two discharge to auto-shutoff I only get 72 hours, much less than half of
    >what was claimed. The last 72 hours was with less than 20 minutes of phone
    >time (combined talk/receive), power save on, keyboard and display time out
    >set to 5 seconds. Can I walk into my local Verizon store and ask for a
    >replacement battery after explaining this to them or do I have to
    >call/email Verizon?
    >
    > --
    > "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence-three times is enemy action."

    When I picked up my A650s last week, the Radio Shack employee (who also
    happens to be a cell junkie) told me he flipped a setting that greatly
    improved the idle battery life on these phones.

    I picked up two of these a week ago. I've talked mine to death (took
    about 4x longer than my old V120E tho, WOOHOO!) once already, but my
    parents handset hasn't been charged since sunday morning + ~15 minutes
    of usage, and still showing 3/3 battery. We're about 3.5 miles from the
    only

    I'd ask your retailer, if they can't help I'll ask my salesman about the
    tweak...

    JS

    Oliver Cromwell wrote:
    > I got a Samsung A-650 last week as a new Verizon customer from Sprint. The
    > rated standby time on the Verizon site is 190 hours standby time but after
    > two discharge to auto-shutoff I only get 72 hours, much less than half of
    > what was claimed. The last 72 hours was with less than 20 minutes of phone
    > time (combined talk/receive), power save on, keyboard and display time out
    > set to 5 seconds. Can I walk into my local Verizon store and ask for a
    > replacement battery after explaining this to them or do I have to call/email
    > Verizon?
    >
    > --
    > "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence-three times is enemy action."

    I'd love to know what that setting was.

    "Jacob Suter" <j4k3@ezho.org> wrote in message
    > When I picked up my A650s last week, the Radio Shack employee (who also
    > happens to be a cell junkie) told me he flipped a setting that greatly
    > improved the idle battery life on these phones.
    >
    > I picked up two of these a week ago. I've talked mine to death (took
    > about 4x longer than my old V120E tho, WOOHOO!) once already, but my
    > parents handset hasn't been charged since sunday morning + ~15 minutes of
    > usage, and still showing 3/3 battery. We're about 3.5 miles from the only
    >
    > I'd ask your retailer, if they can't help I'll ask my salesman about the
    > tweak...
    >
    > JS
    >
    > Oliver Cromwell wrote:
    >> I got a Samsung A-650 last week as a new Verizon customer from Sprint.
    >> The rated standby time on the Verizon site is 190 hours standby time but
    >> after two discharge to auto-shutoff I only get 72 hours, much less than
    >> half of what was claimed. The last 72 hours was with less than 20
    >> minutes of phone time (combined talk/receive), power save on, keyboard
    >> and display time out set to 5 seconds. Can I walk into my local Verizon
    >> store and ask for a replacement battery after explaining this to them or
    >> do I have to call/email Verizon?
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence-three times is enemy action."

    Avoiding any analog useage is done by selecting "home network only" from the
    network settings?

    In article <10ps06gddaeba35@corp.supernews.com>,
    Oliver Cromwell <rosewar12@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Avoiding any analog useage is done by selecting "home network only" from the
    >network settings?

    "Home" limits you to your home system, and, depending on your phone's
    software, may also include other Verizon systems or, (more likely)
    not. It has nothing to do with analog vs. digital. Some phones have
    "Digital Only" options.

    "Digital = home" and "analog = roaming" is a false association promoted by
    SprintPCS who, until recently disabled digital roaming on their phones,
    so that you were either on their own (all-digital) system, or you were
    roaming on analog. On Verizon, there is no connection between roaming
    and analog.

Verizon Battery Internet Service Providers