Solved

My cable modem speed is less then what I am suppose to get what is wrong

I am paying for 7mb from Cable One. When I do a speed test It shows 5.71mb and up load .58mb. When I down loaded Shogun 2 from steam it took 8 hours. I have a gaming computer with Intel i7 2600k CPU 16GB of ram two video cards GTX 550 Ti. My router is Linksys E3000. I am hard wired to it. WiFi disabled. Router is in default settings. Cable Modem has been upgraded. Both modems have the same speed ishue. Is it my router or the modem. If it is my router how do you match the router with the modem??????? The cable guy said that it could be the router. He tested the cable modem and said there is nothing wrong with it.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cable modem speed suppose wrong
  1. Best answer
    I am betting if you read the paper work from your cable company its will something like "....up to speeds of 7MB." Meaning that is the maximum you will get under idea conditions and not the average speed. I know cable used to be effected by the number of people who also have cable internet in your area. I know its irritating but that extra 1.29 MB is not going to speed up your steam download that much. What was your KB/s on that Shogun download? When I had 5MB internet I would get 350KB/s off steam. I now have ~15MB connect and average 1.2MB/s on steam.
  2. Trialsking said:
    I am betting if you read the paper work from your cable company its will something like "....up to speeds of 7MB." Meaning that is the maximum you will get under idea conditions and not the average speed. I know cable used to be effected by the number of people who also have cable internet in your area. I know its irritating but that extra 1.29 MB is not going to speed up your steam download that much. What was your KB/s on that Shogun download? When I had 5MB internet I would get 350KB/s off steam. I now have ~15MB connect and average 1.2MB/s on steam.

Hey thanks for the reply. You are right it won't make that much difference. As much trouble cable one has caused us and they don't have this pocket up graded, so I can't take the 20mb to 50mb. The trouble that they caused was our internet would fall out everyday between 11:am and 1:pm off and on then it would go to around 7:pm and start doing it all over agian. I had so meany Techs out and nobody could find the problem. I went down to the office to get a discount on my internet for all the down time then I got to talk to a superviser and he came out the next day and found the problem. There feed from the street on to the complex, one cable had some grounding mesh touching and not touching the center line. But now it works fine. I did not look at the Steams down load in Kbs all I remember seeing was down load time 8.32 hr. I had to let it go all night and when I woke up it was still down loading but not for long. Now when I play the game I am about at the realm divide at the end of turn it crashs to desk top. All that time just to have a game breaker. Anyway thanks for the reply.
  3. Best answer selected by DM186.
  4. My parents were having a heck of a time with AT&T U-Verse, after several calls and tech visits they finally determined that their card was overloaded at the DSLAM, but with expansion in their area about a month after getting that resolved it started happening again. They were looking at an overhaul of the neighborhood network, ETA 6-12 months. So many people still believe the "Net-Hog" commercials DSL providers ran a decade ago that they don't want to go with cable, arguments that don't really hold water today. I have worked at several DSL providers that are running into the same "over-provided" areas that they once were so down on.

Seeing the 8 hour DL though is nothing anyone should see though. The statement made by trialsking is pretty accurate to what one should expect from their provider, since the speeds they promise are in bits. A 12meg connection is 12,000,000 bits/sec, which is 1,500,000 Bytes/sec (1.5MB/s). 7meg would allow you downloads of "up to" 875KB/s.

You do seem to have some trouble with your line, and I would definitely take it up with your provider, and if there are competing providers you might be able to get some kind of discount or compensation out of it. Just advising you don't walk into that argument with them under the assumption that you were supposed to be getting 7MBps out of the deal.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Modem Cable Video Games