Sign in with
Your question

Installing Mobo - any tips?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2001 2:04:57 PM

Alright, I finally have all the pieces together for my first computer upgrade.

I have my ASUS A7A266 motherboard, my new power supply, my 1.4Ghz Thunderbird and my special fan for that processor.

Now this weekend I am going to attempt to install the motherboard and all the parts.

Taking in mind this is my first ever attempt I am looking for:

1.Tips to installing the mother board
2.Any links explaining how to install a motherboard successfully

Basically any information that you think will help me.

I'm all ears.

More about : installing mobo tips

August 2, 2001 2:20:34 PM

Some tips:

- Install the board into your case

- Make sure to apply thermal compound to the CPU slug

- Insert just vid card and RAM

- Then hook up the monitor and keyboard and see if it will POST.

- If it does, hook up the disk drives, CD, and floppy and see if the BIOS recognizes them.

- If so, go ahead and install your OS as is. Then start to add other peripherals, etc.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2001 2:36:56 PM

Quote:

- Make sure to apply thermal compound to the CPU slug

Lost me here. Slug? Thermal compound?

Quote:

- Then hook up the monitor and keyboard and see if it will POST.

Again, I'm lost. POST?

Quote:

- If so, go ahead and install your OS as is. Then start to add other peripherals, etc.

I am just transferring my hard drive over from my old computer. It already has a bunch of stuff installed in it. Is that a problem?
Related resources
August 2, 2001 3:27:10 PM

Look at your HSF. If it has a small pad on the bottom in the middle, don't worry about thermal compound, just use that. Won't work quite as well, but mine works fine.

POST is Power On Self Test. It's the whole section before "Starting Windows" where it shows you how much RAM you have, etc.

You'll have to reinstall Windows, since you have a different chipset.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:
August 2, 2001 3:32:22 PM

Quote:
Look at your HSF. If it has a small pad on the bottom in the middle

In most cases, yes. In the rare case it doesn't you'll have to use compound.

BTW - the slug is the raised portion of the top of the CPU, right in the middle.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2001 3:39:42 PM

Well, where do I get thermal compound and is it completely necessary?
August 2, 2001 3:49:58 PM

It will have come with your HSF

August 2, 2001 3:52:32 PM

You can get thermal compound just about anywhere. I got some at 3dcool.com, they also have some cool cases and fans and sort. If this is your first time you should really find some one that knows a little about computers to watch you. So words of wisdom are don't do it over carpet and make sure and touch the metal part of your case before you touch any components. Never take anything out of the package until you are ready to use it. Personally I go ahead and hook everything up properly(or what i think is properly) and then go from there. Read the book that came with your motherboard from front to back before you start digging in. I know your probably tempted to start right away but if you don't it could cost you some dollars.

ˆ«Œ«‚¢ˆÃŽEŽÒ
August 2, 2001 3:54:58 PM

One more thing, if you do buy some thermal compound and your hsf has the pad on the bottom use some rubbing alchol and something to remove it from the heat sink before you put the thermal compound on. Also if you do only use a little dab. It's supposed to conduct heat if you put on to much it won't work as good.

ˆ«Œ«‚¢ˆÃŽEŽÒ
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2001 7:08:07 PM

Thanks again.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2001 11:50:10 AM

Your in for a fun weekend! :-)

RE: using old Harddrive.

I tried the same when i installed my new mobo last month, and, boy, did I regret it! Actually, i think that it would have worked o.k. if it wasn't for the fact that my A7A and AliMaGiK1 chipset did not suport Win 95 OSR2. i didn't find out till a week later, when I installed (from a fresh drive) to Win98SE. If I had done the fresh install from the beginning I probably would have got it up and running within the weekend (and no moaning from the wife!).

So having been their myself and experienced it, I concur with most everyone else on these forums, when upgrading a mobo, re-install the OS form a freshly formatted drive...it is the easier, and probably less time consuming way.

if you have important data you don't want to lose, and you don't have another drive (or another partition) then, get something like Partition Magic from PowerQuest, to partition your drive before you start and copy across all important data to the new partition , leaving you to reformat and re-install the OS on the boot partition, or get a second drive and do the same thing but woth more space :-)

Anyway, Good luck to you, READ the MOBO MANUAL FIRST, CHECK ALL jumpers and BIOS settings, and have fun!!!

Topher Bear

Don't wait for tomorrow! Live for Today! :-)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2001 12:42:33 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I have a partition with Me a partition with Apps on it and a partition with XP installed.

Are you telling me that my computer simply will not work when I reboot with an OS installed?

Isn't there a way I can make my computer boot from the CD drive so it will begin the XP installation, I have no problem blowing away that partition again.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2001 3:47:56 PM

Don't quit on me now ;) .

What do you think about the above post?
August 3, 2001 4:05:48 PM

Quote:
Isn't there a way I can make my computer boot from the CD drive so it will begin the XP installation, I have no problem blowing away that partition again.

Just make yourself a Win98 boot diskette with the proper ATAPI CD-ROM device driver and MSCDEX.EXE on it and you should be good to go AFA accessing the CD and installing XP.

a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2001 3:53:26 AM

You can get heasink paste from Radio shack that works fairly well if needed. You do need a thermal interface material, whether it comes as a blob of sticky stuff on the heatsink, as a separate pack of paste, or bought separately.

Video killed my Radio Card!
August 4, 2001 10:51:11 PM

Actually, did you see this quote from Tom's review of XP?
Quote:
On the evaluation version it is not possible to run the installation from DOS, and we could not find any information on how to create XP boot disks (on Win 2000 this is done by running the program "BOOT/MAKEBOOT" on the installation CD), so it seems like a previous version of Windows also is required.

All these requirements are subject to change when the final version is released.

I guess installing it from DOS is out for now. Question: What are you messing around with XP for anyway? It's not released yet. Might as well go with W2K until it's out, no?

!