need firewall and Anti-Virus

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
I am currently using Mcafee Internet Security Suite 2005 and I am getting tired of it being a resource hog. I was thinking about trying Zonealarm Pro as a replacement. Does Zonealarm Pro use less resources? Does anyone else have another suggestion for firewall and anti virus I could use to not use up so much of my resources? Thanks in advance.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
This poster at a CNET Security forum put together an excellent post of available "stuff" ... you should find what you need here:
<A HREF="http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=101992&messageID=1170247" target="_new">Viruses & security alerts forum</A>

<b>"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."</b> <b>Hunter S. Thompson, <b><i> Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas</i>, 1965.</b>

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I've been using Zone Alarm (free version) and Avast (free edition) on most of the PCs I've been putting together lately. They seem to work very well and they cost $0.
-Brett

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Yea, the guy put a lot of work into that info post over at CNET ... I've copied it for future reference ... I still think we need a "security forum" at Tom's (in the software section) ... although THG is principally a hardware forum ...

<b>"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."</b> <b>Hunter S. Thompson, <b><i> Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas</i>, 1965.</b>

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
does the Kapersky have a pretty good detection rate? That is the main reason I am using Mcafee. Thanks for the help guys I will definitely give ZoneAlarm a try.

riser

Illustrious
Heads up on the post..

My understand is that a few months back the creator of CWShredder has decided to call it quits.
Just an out dated link. It works, but he hasn't been updating it...

I believe his words were something to the effect of
"Those guys are too good and I can't keep up with them." and "there's other adequate software out there today" ... to fix the problems.

Since it was a one man program anyhow..

Just a heads up though.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Yea ... that was <A HREF="http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/" target="_new">Merijn</A> ... and he sold the program to <A HREF="http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html" target="_new">InterMute</A>
What's New With CWShredder?

Originally developed by Merijn Bellekom of the Netherlands, CWShredder™ is now owned and maintained by InterMute. CWShredder has been updated to include new CoolWebSearch variants. Use in conjunction with SpySubtract for the strongest
defense against Spyware threats.
Note: The SpySubtract note is an ad!

TRENDING THREADS