G

Im replacing one motherboard/cpu from a system im running now with a new faster model... Do i still need to go thorugh the bios setup? It seems complicated...

can someone help me?

G

Read the Bios tuneup article here in tomshardware....good stuff.

If you build it,they will come...and I will crash it

G

Try<A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/01q3/010725/index.html" target="_new"> here</A>

Crank it up... way up!! I need that power.

G

That article just has information on setting up and tweaking your bios... I have that information in my motherboard book already..

I'm just wondering if it's nessicary to set up bios again, because i has another motherboard already in the machine.

G

Did you read the details and fine tuning tips, or just look at it? Umm yep, would say go and hit the defaults for bios and start again from there.

What would I know, Iam from the southern Hemishpere....everything works upside down.

Crank it up... way up!! I need that power.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 08/03/01 08:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
If, and i hope i am understanding you correctly, you are upgrtrading your cpu but leaving the same motherboard in the computer then you should probably only need to adjust the multiplier settings, if this can be done through the bios on your motherboard, otherwise you need to do it through the jumpers or dip switches, apart from the multiplier there should be no need if you are leaving the same HDD's etc in the computer.

G

nope, i'm putting in a new motherboard AND CPU... and removing the old motherboard and cpu

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Whenever you install a new motherboard and CPU in ANY system, you will need to enter the BIOS to establish the default settings for:
A) Motherboard Bus
B) CPU Speed & Multiplier (If NOT set to automatic by jumpers/dip switches on the motherboard)
C) Devices (Like Parallel Ports, Serial Ports, USB Ports, etc..)
D) Power managment options.
E) Boot Options (Floppy, HD, CD-ROM, etc...)
F) Video (PCI, Onboard, or AGP)
G) RAM settings (While this may be automatic, it's always nice to check the settings to ensure that your RAM is running with the most appropriate settings)
H) PNP OS Enabled (Usually set to NO)
I) More........

So the long and short of the answer is YES, you need to go into the BIOS and establish your initial settings.

The beauty of this is that MOST motherboards include manuals that have details regarding setting up the default initial values for your system. While some documentation is better than others, there are quite a few resources out there that describe what each option is, and what setting it SHOULD be on.

If this is too much for you, you should bring your system components into a qualified builder and have them put everything together for you instead. This way you are ensured to get everthing installed in the correct slots, wires connected to the right places and BIOS settings being established for you.

Steve

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

G

great answer... Alright, now i know exactly what to do installation wise...

I think i'm going to try and assemble it myself, the first time's always the worst, but i think i'll do alrigt...

thanks for all your help!!!
bye!