Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with Dual boot

Last response: in Windows 8
October 28, 2012 10:27:47 AM

I've a question about a new dual boot.

Right now I have two hard drives with Windows 7 on one. I'd like to put Windows 8 pro upgrade on the other drive. I have a few older versions of Windows Vista oem.
Can I start the computer with the vista install disc in the dvd drive and install to the second drive?
Then install Windows 8 over it (Vista) and be able to not mess up my Windows 7?

Thanks for any advice.

robert234

More about : dual boot

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 28, 2012 3:14:09 PM

disconnect the hard drive with windows 7 on it first

then reconnect it once you are done

this keeps your windows 7 being included in the boot record

then just select which drive to boot either in the bios or by pressing the appropriate f key to bring up your boot menu
Related resources
a c 372 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 28, 2012 3:21:21 PM

1. Partition the disk. On a single disk PC, you will need to partition the disk first. (If you have two hard disks attached to the PC and wish to use the second drive for Windows 8, you can skip this step.)
October 28, 2012 10:08:09 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
disconnect the hard drive with windows 7 on it first

then reconnect it once you are done

this keeps your windows 7 being included in the boot record

then just select which drive to boot either in the bios or by pressing the appropriate f key to bring up your boot menu

Thanks mcnumpty23, Your advice was exactly what I was thinking to be sure w7 didn't and couldn't get messed up.
Well it was a success. Everything went smooth. Installed vista then Win 8 pro. Hooked up my Win 7 drive and crossed my fingers. At first it loaded the Win 8 but then showed the boot options.

Thanks again

Robert234 :bounce: 
November 5, 2012 1:06:26 AM

Best answer selected by robert234.
!