Sign in with
Your question

Wanting to upgrade Mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
August 3, 2001 1:07:45 AM

I CURRENTLY HAVE A DELL COMPUTER WITH A SLOT PIII 700 MHZ. I'D LIKE TO UPGRADE TO PIII 1GHZ. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ADVICE ON WHAT MOTHERBOARD TO PURCHASE?

More about : wanting upgrade mobo

August 3, 2001 1:53:04 AM

I think everyone on this board would pretty much agree that the best motherboard for a PIII would be the Asus CUSL2.

It's very stable and very compatible. I run Windows 98 SE on mine and it will actually stay on all day every day for a week or so without needing to be rebooted. Most of the time with 98, you'll be lucky to go a day without it locking up...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol: 
August 3, 2001 3:18:07 AM

I agree with the other guy. The CUSL2 is a great choice. If your into style and looks, get one of the spiffy 'Peal Black' edition.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>
Related resources
August 5, 2001 2:28:01 PM

HI THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE.. ARE YOU USING ONE OF THOSE ADAPTER CARDS THAT CONVERTS A SLOT CPU TO A SOCKET CPU? IF SO, ARE YOU HAVING ANY PROBLEMS? I'VE SEEN OTHER POSTS IN THIS FORUM THAT DON'T RECOMMEND GOING THIS ROUTE..

THANKS AGAIN JOE
August 6, 2001 1:39:19 AM

I'm using an ASUS S370-DL Slotket adapter in my Abit SH6 mobo with great results. If you're dead set on going to a FCPGA PIII and your DELL will support upto 1GHz, why not try a slotket in your mobo first. At abot $8-15 it could save you alot of time and money over replacing the mobo and cpu. ASUS, Abit, IWILL, and Powerleap all make good slotkets. Be advised though, the Powerleap PL-iP3's are very expensive - $59.00(US). Good Luck.

"This was no boating accident"
August 6, 2001 5:29:01 AM

Since you going to change both CPU and MB I think it is better to get AMD. Athlon is cheaper and faster than Pentium III.
!