Wanting to upgrade Mobo

jktzweiss

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2001
I CURRENTLY HAVE A DELL COMPUTER WITH A SLOT PIII 700 MHZ. I'D LIKE TO UPGRADE TO PIII 1GHZ. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ADVICE ON WHAT MOTHERBOARD TO PURCHASE?

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I think everyone on this board would pretty much agree that the best motherboard for a PIII would be the Asus CUSL2.

It's very stable and very compatible. I run Windows 98 SE on mine and it will actually stay on all day every day for a week or so without needing to be rebooted. Most of the time with 98, you'll be lucky to go a day without it locking up...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I agree with the other guy. The CUSL2 is a great choice. If your into style and looks, get one of the spiffy 'Peal Black' edition.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have a machine with a PII-400 and it supports a PIII-1000. You can just stick the chip in there. I would suggest you go to dells forum and ask there. Don't bother calling dell since they know nothing.

<A HREF="http://delltalk.us.dell.com/messages/overview.asp?page=1&name=dim_upgrade" target="_new">http://delltalk.us.dell.com/messages/overview.asp?page=1&name=dim_upgrade</A>

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

jktzweiss

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2001
HI THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE.. ARE YOU USING ONE OF THOSE ADAPTER CARDS THAT CONVERTS A SLOT CPU TO A SOCKET CPU? IF SO, ARE YOU HAVING ANY PROBLEMS? I'VE SEEN OTHER POSTS IN THIS FORUM THAT DON'T RECOMMEND GOING THIS ROUTE..

THANKS AGAIN JOE

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I'm using an ASUS S370-DL Slotket adapter in my Abit SH6 mobo with great results. If you're dead set on going to a FCPGA PIII and your DELL will support upto 1GHz, why not try a slotket in your mobo first. At abot $8-15 it could save you alot of time and money over replacing the mobo and cpu. ASUS, Abit, IWILL, and Powerleap all make good slotkets. Be advised though, the Powerleap PL-iP3's are very expensive - $59.00(US). Good Luck.

"This was no boating accident"