what about the MSI K7 Master?

tibou

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, for the past couple of months I've been trying to find the best motherboard for my new computer. I started off with the Asus A7M but changed my mind because of no ability to adjust the clock multiplier. Then I though about the Epox 8K7A, but some issues with it came up. The main problem being the 5 volt rail and Enermax power supplies. Now I am looking at the MSI K7 Master motherboard. It is only 10$ more then the Epox, it has overclocking features right in the bios, and only 1 remaining issue, which doesn't affect all boards. So, my question is, how does the MSI K7 Master compare to the other AMD 761 mobos? I cannot get ahold of any other mobo that has the AMD 761 chipset and is overclockable. My only other choice is to go with the VIA KT266 chipset. Please lend me a hand.

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
The K7-Master is a solid, stable, and has excellent performance. There is one MINOR!!! issue with a FSB bug. This bug is just a glitch in bio's that causes the fsb to reset to 100 upon shutdown also makes 3D games unplayable. There is a work around to solve this problem by just unplugging the system wait 20 seconds and plug it back in and reboot, just reset the FSB to 133 and alls fine!!! as soon as you shut down you have to repeat the work around. MSI knows about the problem and is working on it. All other setup problems have been solved and most hardware issues have been addressed. If you would like to read more about the FSB bug check out http://www.msihardware.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000272

G

Just a quick question about the problem on the Epox 8K7A or is that the 8K7A+?
Or has that issue with enermax been resolved in the plus version?
Please tell me more as Iam about to buy both of these while I wait for the K7Master-S to come out.

Thanx...

Crank it up... way up!! I need that power.

tibou

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Epox problem is on both boards. There is contraversy over wheather it is enermax's or Epox's fault. I think it is epox's fault because the issue can only really be found on the Epox boards.

Oh, BTW I heard that not all the MSI K7 Master's have the FSB issue with them. I will just ask Netlink Computers to test the mobo before they ship my pc to me.