EQ2 Mob behavior after breaking encounter lock.

If an aggressive mob's been pulled some distance from their spawn point, do
they transfer aggression to whoever's in the area once the lock's broken?

Or do they return to their spawn point before becoming aggressive again?

I ask because I'm trying to figure out whether or not I was "pk'd" by a much
higher level character pulling a mob to me and then breaking his lock on
them. That's what it seemed like to me, but I was killed so quickly it was
hard to tell.

I surely hope this kind of griefing isn't possible.

And I hope my question's clear, too . . . :)

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:35:26 -0500, chainbreaker wrote:

> If an aggressive mob's been pulled some distance from their spawn point, do
> they transfer aggression to whoever's in the area once the lock's broken?
>
> Or do they return to their spawn point before becoming aggressive again?
>
> I ask because I'm trying to figure out whether or not I was "pk'd" by a much
> higher level character pulling a mob to me and then breaking his lock on
> them. That's what it seemed like to me, but I was killed so quickly it was
> hard to tell.
>
> I surely hope this kind of griefing isn't possible.
>
> And I hope my question's clear, too . . . :)

Mobs in EQ2 (to me at least) seem to have a much smaller aggro range than
EQ1. I'd say about the same (or possibly smaller) than DAoC. I've witnessed
a train such as that on several occasions and the mobs were right by me and
passed on their way back home without attacking. On the other hand, I've
had them linger near me and then become aggro on me. Best advice is to back
away after the train a bit and let them go back to their home. If it
happened only once call it an anomaly... if it happens more than once call
it greifing (or stupidity take your pick) and get out the petition pen.
--
RJB
11/19/2004 9:07:52 AM

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life
is either a daring adventure or nothing." -- Hellen Keller

Wolfie

chainbreaker wrote:
> If an aggressive mob's been pulled some distance from their spawn
> point, do they transfer aggression to whoever's in the area once the
> lock's broken?

If they have social aggro, they'll aggro on anyone regardless
of where they are. Social aggro range is relatively small
however.

> I ask because I'm trying to figure out whether or not I was "pk'd" by
> a much higher level character pulling a mob to me and then breaking
> his lock on them. That's what it seemed like to me, but I was killed
> so quickly it was hard to tell.

His breaking the lock doesn't lose aggro -- he'd have to
zone or die or run out of aggro range to do that. In my
experience they'll follow him until one of those happens.
Once it does, they'll start to path back to their spawn
area and can possibly social aggro someone else.
They generally run back, too -- or warp back if they
were ran quite a way.

Wolfie wrote:
> His breaking the lock doesn't lose aggro -- he'd have to
> zone or die or run out of aggro range to do that. In my
> experience they'll follow him until one of those happens.
> Once it does, they'll start to path back to their spawn
> area and can possibly social aggro someone else.
> They generally run back, too -- or warp back if they
> were ran quite a way.

I was fairly close to the Antonica/North Queynos bridge at the time, totally
involved in an epic battle with a bug.

After considering further, I suspect what happened is that someone was in
over their head with the mob, ran to the guard and unlocked, then before the
guard could clear them, one of the mob members dispatched my poor
head-up-his-butt fighter. :)

It still seems like possible griefer fodder, though.