And now the logic question

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
How to optimize Windows Xp. yes this is the question, i whould say i know my way around windows, and how to get the most out of it ( not Reg tweaking though ).

But efter optimizing windows, defragging, optimizing and repairing Reg DBase, disabling unused and unwanted Services and killed all the current adware and viras ( my virus proggy aint running in the background ). My windows is still sometimes, very slow responsive. I whould say that an 2600+ Athlon Xp, should be able to open internet explorer without too much, delay when system Idle CPU usage is at 99%, and 40 currently running processes, my HDD can ( pr sandra deliver 40 - 70 MB/s ).

but this is not the case, the only time i get fast respone is after a fresh reinstall. and i know windows gets slow ass when alot of stuff are installed.
ive searched the net, and found alot of site that promise to give u XXX % more preformance out of windows.

Now that i dont want to reinstall my windows every time, it get slow ( cos i whould install everything i have again, and the result whould be the same ). im asking ppl to give thier opinion on how to optimize windows. cos my beleve is that the must be a way, a combination of optimizing software, that can "clear" up windows.

System specs :

Athlon Xp 2600Xp 333Mhz
1GB 333Mhz RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro 128.
Soundblaster audigy 2 ZS
promise fasttrack 4000 Raid controler
2x IBM 80GB in RAID 0 config
2x Maxtor 80GB in RAID 0 config ( contaning the OS )
NEC DVD RW +-

Optimizing software ive used:
Norton system works 2005
Norton AV enterprise 9.0
Registry mechanic
Diskkeeper pro
Hare

but it could be cool if ppl could tell me what programs they use to optimize and/or give me any suggestions what whould be a good thing to use

Ps. sry for the bad gramma

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Well I had a similar prob not to long ago and tried defraging my page file. That helped some. An easy way is to use <A HREF="http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml" target="_new"> this tool</A> from Sysinternals. Its easy to use and small.
Now if you have a lot of memory (which you seem to have) there is a chance you aren't paging all that much and this may not do anything. However, this is worth a shot since it also defrags Reg Hives. It will tell you how fragged these structures are too.
Try it out and let us know what happens

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
( cos i whould install everything i have again, and the result whould be the same ).
I would venture a guess that something you are installing is causing a lot of your slow down.
What all do you have installed?

....WW (5.1)

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Well i have alot installed, programs i use for education and lab assignments. but then again its installed but it aint running in the background, som after my opinion it shouldnt affect system performance, when its not runnning. IE if u install 1 game or 100 games windows should still run at the same speed (though startup could be slow). dont know if i get sidetracked here.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Hmm...I use a program called RegScrubXP. It is mainly designed to clean the registry but also has a list of Windows tweaks designe to speed things up some. Most of these tweaks are of the visual variety which do help, but there are some that will show you how to turn off certain processes also.

Once you have the program start it up, scan the registry if you want. When that finishes click on the [Misc...] button. In the window that pops up click on [XP Tips & Tweaks] button and read through the tips.

Get it ><A HREF="http://www.lexundesigns.com/LexunFreeware/" target="_new">Clicky</A><

....WW (5.1)