VERY IMPORTANT! A7M266 Users beware!!!!

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
The VI/O1 Jumper is default at 2.7V for the DDR memory, however, usually DDR memory is designed for 2.5V. This could cause system instability and cause crashes during heavy memory load. This is especially true when I played 3D games. The fix is to remove the VI/O1 jumper, which set the voltage to 2.5v, I don't understand why Asus doesn't even give the option for 2.5V for the jumper setting, and yet clearly stated DDR RAM uses 2.5V in their OWN MANUAL!

This is documented on the A7M266 review from www.lostcircuits.com, which solved the problem I had for 2 months!

Good luck and remove that darn jumper soon!

p.s. I had Crucial 256MB PC-2100 DDR Ram, and on their website it's also recorded 2.5V in specs.

G

Coincidentally I am going to buy a A7M266 with Athlon 1GHz(266). I am also buying PC2100 256M kingston ram.
Thanks for your advice. It will definitely save me some trouble. Thanks pal.

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
NP, you will love the board. It's a really great board with good overclockability, great performance and stable. One way to get around with messing with the jumpers is to install memory heatsink. My friend did that with the same memory I had (Crucial PC2100 Cas 2.5), and he was able to run it at 2/2/2 at 2.7V stable. But he found it better at 2.5V which allow him to o/c his CPU further without crashing.

I still don't understand why Asus didn't put 2.5V as an option... odd...

marty10g

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Thanks for the advice, I have just set up the A7M266 for myself seems a great board so far. Do you have a link to the memory heatsink?

INTELigence is gained by obtaining aMD

G

standard is 2.5v, 2.7 is overclocked as I understand it.

Crank it up... way up!! I need that power.

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Mushkin memory comes with built on heat spreaders, so I would think this would negate any problems that may arise with the memory. Anyways, how much did your system crash when going 2.7v vs. 2.5v? Was it a big problem, or was it just some minor system instability?

*EDIT* After going over your listed site, I can see why this is a big deal. THANX A LOAD MAN SERIOUS!!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Boondock_Saint on 08/04/01 05:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
2.5V is standard, I don't think 2.7 are out yet.

The system runs normally when you do normal tasks such as browsing the internet, use email, etc etc. But as soon as I start to play 3D games, it crashes! So I believe the system hangs due to heavy ram load, and causes overheating. I tried everything to fix this problem including install different drivers, tweaking the video card, formatting, etc. Nothing worked until I forced the VI/O1 jumper to 2.5V. I would have never thought it was a motherboard issue if I didn't read the review from lost circuits.

Anyway, about the ram heatsink, they are made by thermaltake I believe. So you should be able to find some info from www.thermaltake.com

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Good job Frocer.

<b><font color=blue>1.5</b></font color=blue> T-Bird
<b><font color=red>2.1</b></font color=red> P4 Speed

G

Thanks Frocer. I think I'll go ahead with my upgrade to that mobo ..

You Da Man!

Yee Freakin' Haw

G

maybe they made a typo...or..they're just odd...or...

----
Comparing AMD and Intel is like comparing a Ferrari to a Model-T…there’s no comparison.

G

Excellent hint man,

I haven't got a A7M266 but instead I have an A7V266. But I recognized your problem since mine also crashes alot with 3D games and immediately looked up my manual. I think the same goes for the A7V266 cause it's also set higher (2.65V) as default. Gonna try it, thanks again...

------------------
Signatures suck :p

G

Maybe I was posting too quick saying it's the same settings because on the A7V266 the setting applies to not only DRAM, but also chipset, AGP and PCI. So that means the memory can't be set on it's own I guess. This troubles me a bit. Can you, the A7M266 users, aply the settings for only the memory or is it the same as with what I described, having also to set chipset, AGP and PCI?

------------------
Signatures suck :p

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
The VI/O1 jumper controls the memory voltage exclusively, the VI/O jumper supplies the voltage to the Northbridge, which is chipset, AGP, IDE, etc, and it's set to 3.3V

They don't have the online manual posted yet for A7V266 so I couldn't look through and help you with your problem, sorry.

G

Until I read this post I was totally lost on why my Athlon 1.4 was crashing in 3D Mark 2001. I suspected it was the RAM getting too hot, because I couldn't make the system work by changing drivers, and BIOS settings. I never suspected it was the DDR RAM voltage setting on the motherboard. Thanks.

There is another post on the subject of Athlon 1.4 systems crashing randomly in 3D games, while being fine in general Windows and Internet environments. What is strange though is that the motherboard is question there, was NOT an Asus board. Maybe it is the fault of the AMD 761 reference design rather than Asus. However it would not surprise me that they made a mistake on jumper settings or in the manual. There is already a correction sheet in the manual with regards to incorrect jumper settings being published (regarding the onboard sound and LAN).

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think if you had searched you would have seen it before in this forum. Also lostcircuits mentioned the voltage settings for OC'n Micron DDR chips were different which is similar to your problem (incorrect voltage for the DDR). It is an issue that isn't as commonly known as it should be. That site kicks ass.

To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:
Change the signature of the week

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh BTW good job Frocer the if I remeber right the Micron DDR's actually require higher voltage (or much less) I can't remember and on further searching I found that I didn't read it on Lostcircuits, but the site still is really good.

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh and searching again the A7M266 VI/01 problem has not been posted b4... I'll shut up now.

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Hehe thanks. To tell you the truth I never thought it was memory problem, I have always thought it was my video card, because the computer only crashes during heavy 3D gaming and such. I use Crucial memory, which is made by Micro, to my surprise I could o/c much better with the default 2.5V, I could go up to 150Mhz FSB stable, when it was 2.7V my comp crashes around 140mhz FSB and I couldn't even do 2-2-2.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Thanks Forcer! I have been through 3 video cards thinking that video was the problem also. I though the jumper-free mode was bullet-proof on the A7M266, but I guess your find killed that theroy. You deserve a trophy. My hat is off to you!

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

I have been running at 2.8 volts for the Crucial, and this is the setting the works the best for me and I am stably OCd to 145FSB from 133. On another forum, i read that a "tech" verified that removing the jumper from VIO1 did not give 2.5, but in fact gave 2.8. I don't know this for a fact, I just pass it along. Also, there have been reports that the VIO jumper settings in the manual are upside down, meaning that the 1-2 and 3-4 settings are inverted. Doesn't that just make your day. In any case, I tried all positions, and the best one (whatever it is) is the position nearest the bottom of the computer. This ran the same as when I removed the jumper completely. I'll search for that Tech post and come back if I find it...

Here's the quote:

so basically, if your pc has inadequate cooling, setting vio jumper to 3.45volts may cause your pc to lock-up due to heat. now i've personally have never had this problem but for now, i suggest u set the vio jumper to vio positions 1-2 (default). (but only do this if your're still having problems or want to be on the safe side).

and also removing the vio1 jumper results in 2.8volts and not 2.5 as previously thought. so now i just use the default settings.
unless u want to over-clock, i recommend u just leave both jumpers at default. although some have reported that their systems were only stable after removing the vio1 jumper running their pc's at stock speed.

Can't we all just overclock?

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
The VI/O jumper is correct, which is default at 3.3V, you can monitor that through BIOS and Asus probe. I can't find a program that actually could monitor the VI/O1 jumper, unfortunately. I know my system became stable after the removal of VI/O1 jumper, all the lock ups are gone. So I guess the best way is to get heatsinks for your ram, so either way you are fine =)

Another thing, since the 3 settings that Asus allow you to set for VI/O1 are 2.7V(default), 2.8V, and 2.9V. How could you set it to 2.8V by removing the jumper? That's some messed up circuit there..
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Frocer on 08/17/01 11:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

FROCER i have the E776 manual for ASUSa7m Page 20 it states that 2.8v is set with jumpers across pins 3-4.Do you have an older version of m/b or a diff revised manual?Curious as hell to your 2.8v statement.