G

I am buying my first pc.I intend to buy AMD processor.Is Thunderbird the same as Anthlon?I want at least 1GHz processor.And I also want to know its compatible motherboard.I don't know what brand is good for hardisk but I intend to buy at least 30GB DDR SDRAM.I want to play 3D game so I think I will need the excellent graphic card.Which is better,ATI Radeon 32MB DDR or nVIDIA Geforce2 GTS 32MB DDR AGP or Hercules 3D Prophet Kyro 4500 64MB?For sound card I have no idea.Give me an advice.For speakers, which of the two ,Altec Lansing ATP3 or ADA305 USB is better?For monitor,is Sony FD Trinitron 17" Flat monitor is good?For DVD/CD-RW Drive what should I choose?I intend to use intranet in my university and web browsing also.So,what networking device should I use?

If you have no experience building or configuring systems, I suggest you buy a generic system from pricewatch. Select PC Windows and scan through the pages until you find the motherboard and features you like. I would suggest you get a motherboard with the AMD 761 chipset and DDR memory and go with a 1.33 or 1.4 athlon cpu. For example, United Micro has a decent system with Epox 8K7A MB and Athlon 1.33 on page 5 (under 1.33 athlon) for only $701. If you bought all the items you mentioned separately, you would end up spending alot more than you need to. Then select your monitor. I would go with a Samsung or Hitatchi flatscreen. I use the Samsung model 753DF (17 inch), available for $166 from EMS computer.

G

Good advice...

Crank it up... way up!! I need that power.

G

I agree too, however, I think your original plan for a Sony Trinitron was perfect, like a MaximumPC editor once said "In the computer world there are two types of monitors, Sony and non-sony..." Trinitrons are more vivid, warmer, and usualy have a lower dot pitch, ie they rock!