Did SP2 kill my games ??

Dragosani

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
My current XPcr8 has had no probs with ANY of my game titles, Then along came SP2. Now none of my MechWarrior, Bioware D&D titles will not run (splash screen then BSOD or just plain old input hangup (trackball/keyboard)). Even my low requirement titles like Aliens vrs Predator gold & MechCommander are now phutzd. BUT I can play D00M3, (even tho my XPcr8 is a AMD duron 1.2ghz, my framerates are equal to what i got when AvPgold worked lol ) Dawn of War, BlackHawk Down, Starcraft, & IronStorm. I have listed these titles to point out the various hardware requirements needed to put to rest the concern of an impotent cr8, after all, if I can handle D00M3, then I should have ZERO problems running older titles on this cr8.
So I can only conclude that it is SP2 that phutzd me, but it appears that i am the only person this happened to, I have yet to hear about this elsewhere.
So I had a g33k re-partition my drive and did the re-install/update/patch dance, including SP1 & SP2 from a 'slipstream' disc I believe he called it.
During this time I purchased a new dell flatscreen ( I 4get the model# ) So I get everything back and start to install all my games again. Same titles dont work/ Same titles do work. This morning I swapped my dell monitor with a buds 17'' futura (Likom D703X) to rule-out the 'auto-adjusting' that the dell does as the cause of my games hanging up.
( yes i have tried lowering the rez, no change, but this rez was fine b4 SP2 )
They still dont work.
I 4got 2 mention, I went the re-install route cuz after SP2 was installed... I no longer had the ability to use 'System Restore' or to set new restore points ! That is when I used that windows file integrity checker thingy and it said a file was phutzd, so during the re-install I had the option to have MS update files during installation, which i agreed, the install got hung-up, tried it without 'file updates', install got hung up again, I have been around since DOS 4.2 and have done this kinda stuff many times since the mid-late 80's so I'm not a complete n0Ob (lotsa win95 re-installs ) and that left me with no choice but to hunt down a g33k to perform the dark alchemies that require more than my humble efforts.

So once again I humbly ask the community for any insights that I may have overlooked.
need more info..plz say so I have that Everest chumpy for any stats you may need 4 my cr8

Thanxz 4 the eye-ball time

If I only knew an 1/8th of what I think I know<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dragosani on 05/07/05 07:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Dragosani

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
Well gaming budz I must pass this little bit of info along
Yes SP2 had probs with most of my titles, and yes i had the latest EVERYTHING needed for my crate.
My Nvidia driver is newer than the one at the MS update site.
BUT it was not digitally signed by WHQL even tho I got it str8 from Nvidia site. After all WHQL is just shenanigans to direct traffic to BillyG's buddies- so I thought.

I D/Ld the older version from MS update site
I can now play the titles I have jonesed for over 6 months
SO what is my point ?

WHQL digital signatures make ALL the difference
There is a reason why MS wont digitally sign certain items
I for one will no longer concern myself with just wether or not a 'driver' is the latest, Now I am a strict adherent of digitally signed drivers

If I only knew an 1/8th of what I think I know

riser

Illustrious
Digital Sigs mean that they're certified to work with Microsoft.. they're working together to make things work.
The latest drivers don't always help you.. but that's surprising the lastest nvidia driver gave you problems. Read what the driver updates before you get it though.. most of the time it's an update for a video card you don't have..

dhlucke

Polypheme
After a while the drivers don't add anything for your particular card so there's no point in updating anymore.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>