another dead motherboard

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
OK, I am new to this but decided to build my own system after doing some research. My old system is crap but I wanted to use my old hard drive for a cheap upgrade. I bought:
Shuttle AI61 mobo with
800mhz slot-A athlon CPU
128mb PC133 RAM
ATI 32MB rage fury pro vid card
ATX case with 300W PS
used my old floppy, CD ROM, and hard drive (windows 95)
At initial boot up everything worked fine, adjusted my system time and date, checked that full memory and hard drive were recognized, saved and exited to windows, then the "new hardware detected" message came up, I hit "OK", "restart computer" : OK, computer dead. I checked all connections including memory, CPU, and video card like 5 times, cleared CMOS 3 times. The fans will come on and the CD ROM receives powe. When booting, the keybord lights blink and the hard drive led comes on for a couple of seconds. The power LED does not come on and there are no "beeps" from the computer. What the heck is going on? Did Windows kill the BIOS? I will call teck support tomorrow but this is driving me crazy today! (I know, my choice of mobo and CPU stink, but it was CHEAP)

One of your cards may have popped out or simply not seated all the way in. Check your video card. Sometimes they don't seat well or line up well with the slot on the back of the case. You may have to start over, but it only takes a few minutes to re-install everything. Don't assume your motherboard is bad until you check all the little details. Then if you get it going, I would remove some of the system devices in the device manager and install all the motherboard drivers.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
Well, here is an update. I found a forum dedicated to Shuttle motherboards and apparently the AI61 is a lemmon. I read a small blurb on Shuttle's web site under FAQ's that said Windows 95 would erase the BIOS (after my little problem had already occurred). I found that hard to believe since the manual did not say anything about this and Tiger Direct's manual did not mention it either. The Forum, however, was FULL of postings where the same thing happened, a hard drive with Win95 used and the computer died completely! There were also about a million other problems posted for this particular mobo. I think I'll buy a diffrent mobo and processor, maybe a socket A with an athlon, any suggestions?

asus,abit, and gigabyte are the top board manufactorers... i do believe... so look into those boards... i my self recently purchased a gigabyte mobo. Gigabyte GA-7DXR ... it is a top DDR board and the price tag comes along with it. But there are plenty of other boards out there. Right now i i have the ABit KT7-RAID ... for you you may wanna look into the KT7A since it is an upgraded version ... if anything search around read reviews and then post what boards u think are interesting and then people like me will tell ya if the board is good or bad through experience.

Do you actually believe what you think?