Sign in with
Your question

32 bit games on 64 bit system

Last response: in Video Games
August 27, 2011 7:29:10 PM

Hello,
just upgraded to windows 7 64 bit will my 32 bit games play on a 64 bit system Thanks in advanc
Ted

More about : bit games bit system

a b $ Windows 7
August 27, 2011 7:52:14 PM

they should run fine

im on win7 professional x64 and have yet to buy a game that dosnt work on it yet and im including xp games

there was an x64 version of windows xp so most new games should support running on a x64 operating system
m
l
August 27, 2011 8:00:27 PM

i have seen a video game work much better than what other people said it would.

almost as if it is the exact opposite as to what they said.

modern warfare 2 gave me 86 maximum frames per second on windows xp 32 bit
with windows 7 64 bit i get 92 maximum frames per second.

but check this ...
upgrading to windows 7 gives you some new graphic eye-candy abilities.
i dont know if the directX 9 games use those new abilities though.
to say the least, it would appear the new operating system allows a speed increase to provide some room for those new eye-candy abilities.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 28, 2011 1:46:00 AM

Generally speaking they should. But some games that have not been certified to work with Windows 7 may have issues.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 28, 2011 1:52:10 AM

anwaypasible said:

but check this ...
upgrading to windows 7 gives you some new graphic eye-candy abilities.
i dont know if the directX 9 games use those new abilities though.
to say the least, it would appear the new operating system allows a speed increase to provide some room for those new eye-candy abilities.

Games can only use DX10 and DX11 effects if they have been designed to use those effects.

For example, Mass Effect 1 & 2 are DX9 games. Playing those games in Win Vista or Win 7 will not automatically improve graphic effects.

Crysis 2 was initially released as a DX9 title on the PC. You need to install the DX11 patch to upgrade the game to use DX11 effects. The patch was released 4 months after the release of the game.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 7:46:12 PM

I have yet to find a game that is 32-bit and not run on 64-bit windows.
m
l
August 31, 2011 9:59:05 PM

The only games that might not run would be 16-bit games because that platform will not run on 64-bit systems. As long as the game was released in the last 10 years or so, you should be fine.
m
l
September 1, 2011 1:18:14 AM

Most games went 32 bit once Windows 95 came out so it shouldn't be a problem, if the game is 16 bit it probably is DOS based and you can try running it with DOSBox. Watch out for some games from the 90s though, as while the games themselves are 32 bit a lot of the time the installers will be 16 bit (ie. most Star Wars games from the mid to late 90s), you may have to look for a custom installer to install the game on a 64 bit operating system.
m
l
!