(EQ2)How long should I stay on Newb Island?

Last response: in Video Games
November 20, 2004 12:58:14 PM

Just bought the game tonight. Did some of the quests for a scout. Any guides
on when it's time to move on?
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 1:04:47 PM

Obi Wan Kanihaveadoobie wrote:
> Just bought the game tonight. Did some of the quests for a scout. Any guides
> on when it's time to move on?

It's up to you - move on when you get bored there.

You can't level beyond 6 on the island but you can gain upto 199% more
XP (assuming it's unchanged since beta) and gaining xp on the island is
easy so for fast levelling you might want to maximise your xp on the
island and then when you get to your city you can do the citizen quest
straight away and will jump straight to level 8. Doing some quests will
then get you to level 10 and your class choice pretty quickly.

Also if you want to do tradeskills I would suggest spending a lot of
time getting gathering, mining, etc skil l increases as it seems to be
easier on the island than the rest of the game, and you need to get
those skills up to 40 to be able to use them in the tier 2 zones.
November 20, 2004 1:16:18 PM

"Obi Wan Kanihaveadoobie" <gooool@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Just bought the game tonight. Did some of the quests for a scout. Any
guides
> on when it's time to move on?

depends on what you plan doing ...

if you plan on being a artizan many people will tell you to practace
forristing / mining / fishing and gathering ( in that order ) untill your
ofer 40 skill as the lvl 1 spawns within qeynos / freeport are owercrouded
and you need 40 skill to use the lvl 2 ones

also if you plan on being a artisan .. there are some rare crafting books
that drop within all tier 1 zones .. many people find it easy to stay on the
island till they find all of them

There are even some idiots that refuse to leave the island till they have 2
GP in there bank ....

---
November 20, 2004 1:19:52 PM

"John Burton" <john.burton@jbmail.com> wrote in message
> Obi Wan Kanihaveadoobie wrote:
> > Just bought the game tonight. Did some of the quests for a scout. Any
guides
> > on when it's time to move on?
>
> It's up to you - move on when you get bored there.
>
> You can't level beyond 6 on the island but you can gain upto 199% more
> XP (assuming it's unchanged since beta) and gaining xp on the island is
> easy so for fast levelling you might want to maximise your xp on the
> island and then when you get to your city you can do the citizen quest
> straight away and will jump straight to level 8.

Actualy I got 220% exp .... maby it's just me but that is what all my toons
got

---
November 20, 2004 1:23:24 PM

In article <419f16c1$0$215$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>, John Burton wrote:
> You can't level beyond 6 on the island but you can gain upto 199% more
> XP (assuming it's unchanged since beta) and gaining xp on the island is

Well, it is unchanged since beta...but it was 220% in beta, and it is 220%
now. :-)

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous

In article <cnn545$d4j$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, Diablo wrote:
> if you plan on being a artizan many people will tell you to practace
> forristing / mining / fishing and gathering ( in that order ) untill your
> ofer 40 skill as the lvl 1 spawns within qeynos / freeport are owercrouded
> and you need 40 skill to use the lvl 2 ones

Why that order? It seems to me you should harvest any node you find,
because even if it is one that you don't care about (e.g., fishing),
harvesting it will create an opportunity for a node you want to spawn.

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous

Tim Smith wrote:
> In article <419f16c1$0$215$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>, John Burton wrote:
>
>>You can't level beyond 6 on the island but you can gain upto 199% more
>>XP (assuming it's unchanged since beta) and gaining xp on the island is
>

> Well, it is unchanged since beta...but it was 220% in beta, and it is 220%
> now. :-)

Ok :)  I was told 199%. I only ever got to about 50% myself in beta.

Personally I'd do the basic quests up to the Orc and the celler
tradeskill stuff and then leave the island myself. The island is fun,
but it's not the real world...
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 12:16:13 PM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:25:21 GMT, Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <cnn545$d4j$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, Diablo wrote:
>> if you plan on being a artizan many people will tell you to practace
>> forristing / mining / fishing and gathering ( in that order ) untill your
>> ofer 40 skill as the lvl 1 spawns within qeynos / freeport are owercrouded
>> and you need 40 skill to use the lvl 2 ones
>
> Why that order? It seems to me you should harvest any node you find,
> because even if it is one that you don't care about (e.g., fishing),
> harvesting it will create an opportunity for a node you want to spawn.

Because foresting seems to be the hardest to raise while gathering seems
the easiest. Personally, I think mining is the hardest, but that may
because I can never seem to jump on a rock before someone else does (when I
can find them that is). But I agree that you should harvest from any node
you find no matter the order. But if it was the choice between a rock and
roots I'd take the rock first.
--
RJB
11/22/2004 9:14:10 AM

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
November 22, 2004 2:04:03 PM

"Obi Wan Kanihaveadoobie" wrote
> Just bought the game tonight. Did some of the quests for a scout. Any
> guides
> on when it's time to move on?

Whenever you get bored and feel the need to move on. I wouldn't move on
before about 170% though so the Citizenship Quest dings you straight to
level 8.

My current scout has been 220% for quite some time and is around 35ish in
all the harvest skills so a ways to go yet. A few more nights should be
enough to reach 40 in the harvest skills and get tradeskill level 10.

Newbie island is great fun though when your level 6, I would recommend
staying as long as you can. You wont get better return for effort anytime
soon than being in a good Captain Rockbelly group that is for sure.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:04:04 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:04:03 +1000, Rastus wrote:

> Newbie island is great fun though when your level 6, I would recommend
> staying as long as you can. You wont get better return for effort anytime
> soon than being in a good Captain Rockbelly group that is for sure.

The wife and I finally whacked him last night. Was kind of disappointed at
the cutlass... the jagged battleaxes are almost as good. For the record,
I'm staying on the island until I'm as far into tradeskills as possible
without going totally insane (a little works just fine for me).
--
RJB
11/22/2004 9:16:44 AM

Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in
the country.
-Marion Barry, Mayor, Washington, D.C.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:04:04 PM

There are a Ton of Quests on the Newb Isle (some are hidden).
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:04:28 PM

RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:25:21 GMT, Tim Smith wrote:
>
>> In article <cnn545$d4j$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, Diablo wrote:
>>> if you plan on being a artizan many people will tell you to practace
>>> forristing / mining / fishing and gathering ( in that order ) untill
>>> your ofer 40 skill as the lvl 1 spawns within qeynos / freeport are
>>> owercrouded and you need 40 skill to use the lvl 2 ones
>>
>> Why that order? It seems to me you should harvest any node you find,
>> because even if it is one that you don't care about (e.g., fishing),
>> harvesting it will create an opportunity for a node you want to
>> spawn.
>
> Because foresting seems to be the hardest to raise while gathering
> seems the easiest. Personally, I think mining is the hardest, but that
> may because I can never seem to jump on a rock before someone else
> does (when I can find them that is). But I agree that you should
> harvest from any node you find no matter the order. But if it was the
> choice between a rock and roots I'd take the rock first.

Trapping has been the hardest to raise, for me, and everyone else I've
talked to.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 15 Dwarven Shaman, 13 Scholar
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:04:29 PM

On 22 Nov 2004 16:04:28 GMT, Graeme Faelban wrote:

> RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in

>>> Why that order? It seems to me you should harvest any node you find,
>>> because even if it is one that you don't care about (e.g., fishing),
>>> harvesting it will create an opportunity for a node you want to
>>> spawn.
>>
>> Because foresting seems to be the hardest to raise while gathering
>> seems the easiest. Personally, I think mining is the hardest, but that
>> may because I can never seem to jump on a rock before someone else
>> does (when I can find them that is). But I agree that you should
>> harvest from any node you find no matter the order. But if it was the
>> choice between a rock and roots I'd take the rock first.
>
> Trapping has been the hardest to raise, for me, and everyone else I've
> talked to.

Especially since there is nothing to trap on the Island? <g> Damn you'd
think the beavers would build a dam or two??
--
RJB
11/22/2004 11:17:18 AM

I was so poor growing up ... if I wasn't a boy ...I'd have nothing to play
with.
--Rodney Dangerfield
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 9:07:01 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:16:13 -0500, RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:25:21 GMT, Tim Smith wrote:
>
>> In article <cnn545$d4j$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, Diablo wrote:
>>> if you plan on being a artizan many people will tell you to practace
>>> forristing / mining / fishing and gathering ( in that order ) untill your
>>> ofer 40 skill as the lvl 1 spawns within qeynos / freeport are owercrouded
>>> and you need 40 skill to use the lvl 2 ones
>>
>> Why that order? It seems to me you should harvest any node you find,
>> because even if it is one that you don't care about (e.g., fishing),
>> harvesting it will create an opportunity for a node you want to spawn.
>
>Because foresting seems to be the hardest to raise while gathering seems
>the easiest. Personally, I think mining is the hardest, but that may
>because I can never seem to jump on a rock before someone else does (when I
>can find them that is).

For me, Gathering is always highest, as I grab all the roots I can,
and it's also used when grabbing ?'s - and since I have about 20
collection quests ongoing, that's a lot of butterflies, bones, shards,
coins, etc...

> But I agree that you should harvest from any node
>you find no matter the order. But if it was the choice between a rock and
>roots I'd take the rock first.

Me too - especially now I'm after electrum, for jewelry.

And what's with all the carrots ?
November 23, 2004 9:38:51 AM

"Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message

> For me, Gathering is always highest, as I grab all the roots I can,
> and it's also used when grabbing ?'s - and since I have about 20
> collection quests ongoing, that's a lot of butterflies, bones, shards,
> coins, etc...

Not anymore. Collecting now uses "Collection skill" which does not raise.

> > But I agree that you should harvest from any node
> >you find no matter the order. But if it was the choice between a rock and
> >roots I'd take the rock first.
>
> Me too - especially now I'm after electrum, for jewelry.

What server are you on? I have a ton of it that I've just stumbled across
while searching for the elusive tubers.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 10:47:09 AM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:38:51 GMT, "Davian"
<davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:

>"Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
>

>> For me, Gathering is always highest, as I grab all the roots I can,
>> and it's also used when grabbing ?'s - and since I have about 20
>> collection quests ongoing, that's a lot of butterflies, bones, shards,
>> coins, etc...
>>

>Not anymore. Collecting now uses "Collection skill" which does not raise.

I hope it's retroactive -it's be maxxed out already. :)

>> > But I agree that you should harvest from any node
>> >you find no matter the order. But if it was the choice between a rock and
>> >roots I'd take the rock first.
>>
>> Me too - especially now I'm after electrum, for jewelry.
>>

>What server are you on? I have a ton of it that I've just stumbled across
>while searching for the elusive tubers.

Runnyeye - I'm Vickers, if you want to get in touch and are on the
same server. Maybe we can work a tubers for electrum trade. :)

And what's with all the carrots ?
November 23, 2004 6:21:59 PM

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:38:51 GMT, "Davian"
> <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
>

> >"Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
> >

> >> For me, Gathering is always highest, as I grab all the roots I can,
> >> and it's also used when grabbing ?'s - and since I have about 20
> >> collection quests ongoing, that's a lot of butterflies, bones, shards,
> >> coins, etc...
> >>

> >Not anymore. Collecting now uses "Collection skill" which does not raise.
>
> I hope it's retroactive -it's be maxxed out already. :)

Well, I called it a skill becasue they called it a skill in the patch message,
but it doesn't seem to be a real one. It does not show up in the skill list,
nor does it increase. As far as I can tell, all the change did was to remove
the gathering skill increases from collecting items. Although it is
possible that the gathering classification was causing problems. Tier 2
requires 50 gathering skill, and tier 3 needs 90 as a minimum to gather from
plants. Perhaps that requirement was being applied to collectables as well,
such that only crafters had the skill to get them. If that was a problem,
this might be to fix that.

> >What server are you on? I have a ton of it that I've just stumbled across
> >while searching for the elusive tubers.
>
> Runnyeye - I'm Vickers, if you want to get in touch and are on the
> same server. Maybe we can work a tubers for electrum trade. :)

Ah, as in my sig, I'm playing mostly on Guk, although I still have one
character that I haven't moved off Mistmoore yet.

I had been making mostly tailor items, so those damn tubers were killing me.
They're not any harder to find than any other component... but in tailoring,
you just go through them like mad. Adding up all the subcomponent costs of
making burlap gloves for my caster friend... Burlap cloth, Generic burlap
pattern, burlap padding... thats 5 tubers for thread and yarn + 7 chemicals
(made out of tubers) +1 wood. Plus replacements if the cloth doesn't come
out pristine.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
Dearic - Dwarven Fighter on Mistmoore

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 6:47:15 PM

"Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote
> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in
> > > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:25:21 GMT, Tim Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > Because foresting seems to be the hardest to raise while gathering
> > > seems the easiest. Personally, I think mining is the hardest, but that
> > > may because I can never seem to jump on a rock before someone else
> > > does (when I can find them that is). But I agree that you should
> > > harvest from any node you find no matter the order. But if it was the
> > > choice between a rock and roots I'd take the rock first.
> >
> > Trapping has been the hardest to raise, for me, and everyone else I've
> > talked to.
>
> It seems to be a matter of nodes, for the most part. The nodes appear to
be
> random, with an equal chance of each item coming up (with one exception).
>
> Roots, herbs and good all use gathering, so theres a 37.5% chance a node
will
> spawn that can raise that skill. (then adjust upwards because of the
lower
> demand for garden / herb nodes)
> Metal nodes and gem nodes both use mining, so thats a 25% chance of
raising
> mining.
> Foresting only raises from wood nodes, so 12.5%
> Trapping only raises from den nodes, so 12.5% again.
>
> Thats about the difficulty order in raising them as well.

37.5 + 25 + 12.5 + 12.5 = 87.5. Using Oakmyst as example material:

Gathering - Muddy Roots, Natural Garden, Natural Herb Garden, Quest
Mining - Moss Covered Rock, Compound Ore
Foresting - Grizzled Arbor
Trapping - Badger Den

(Fishing is ignored in the above because if you don't touch them then
they'll max and then stop affecting anything.)

Assuming equal chance of occurrence, you get Davian's numbers above, with
the mod that Gathering is 50% of all possibilities.

Now for some extra info. I managed to get an isolated instance for a while
(everybody else gradually left and then the server stopped allowing people
to choose the instance) and pulled some rough numbers while working on my
foresting.

With only me in the zone, running around and harvesting every land node I
ran across, I was hitting Grizzled Arbor (Foresting) nodes about one every 5
minutes. Specifically, 22 nodes in just over 2 hours. It took about 4
nodes on average (12 attempts) to gain a single skillup. Therefore, in an
ideal environment you can expect a skillup about every 20 minutes for
Foresting and Trapping, every 10 minutes for Mining, and every 5 minutes for
Gathering.

However, with 30 people in the area, you're only going to get 1/30 of the
spawns, changing those numbers to 10 hours, 5 hours, and 2.5 hours
respectively.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 8:07:31 PM

"Ken Andrews" <gobble@degook.com> wrote in message
> "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote

> > It seems to be a matter of nodes, for the most part. The nodes appear to
> > be random, with an equal chance of each item coming up (with one
> > exception).

> > Roots, herbs and good all use gathering, so theres a 37.5% chance a node
> > will spawn that can raise that skill. (then adjust upwards because of
the
> > lower demand for garden / herb nodes)
> > Metal nodes and gem nodes both use mining, so thats a 25% chance of
> > raising mining.
> > Foresting only raises from wood nodes, so 12.5%
> > Trapping only raises from den nodes, so 12.5% again.
> >
> > Thats about the difficulty order in raising them as well.
>
> 37.5 + 25 + 12.5 + 12.5 = 87.5. Using Oakmyst as example material:

Aye, the fishing is the final 1/8 of the tradeskill spawn. I listed that
below as a separate case (which seems to have gotten snipped in your response)

> Gathering - Muddy Roots, Natural Garden, Natural Herb Garden, Quest
> Mining - Moss Covered Rock, Compound Ore
> Foresting - Grizzled Arbor
> Trapping - Badger Den

And Cluster of fish.

Quest items no longer use gathering, as of the last major patch.

> (Fishing is ignored in the above because if you don't touch them then
> they'll max and then stop affecting anything.)

The evidence is mixed, but this appears to be incorrect. If you do not touch
the fish you can eventually work into a position where the majority of the
tradeskill nodes in any specific zone are tied up in maintaining the fish
(over)population. Clearing out the pond gives each of those fish nodes the
chance to respawn as a different resouce.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
Dearic - Dwarven Fighter on Mistmoore

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 8:41:09 PM

"Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote
> "Ken Andrews" <gobble@degook.com> wrote in message
> > 37.5 + 25 + 12.5 + 12.5 = 87.5. Using Oakmyst as example material:
>
> Aye, the fishing is the final 1/8 of the tradeskill spawn. I listed that
> below as a separate case (which seems to have gotten snipped in your
response)

> > Gathering - Muddy Roots, Natural Garden, Natural Herb Garden, Quest
> > Mining - Moss Covered Rock, Compound Ore
> > Foresting - Grizzled Arbor
> > Trapping - Badger Den
>
> And Cluster of fish.
>
> Quest items no longer use gathering, as of the last major patch.
>
> > (Fishing is ignored in the above because if you don't touch them then
> > they'll max and then stop affecting anything.)
>
> The evidence is mixed, but this appears to be incorrect. If you do not
touch
> the fish you can eventually work into a position where the majority of the
> tradeskill nodes in any specific zone are tied up in maintaining the fish
> (over)population. Clearing out the pond gives each of those fish nodes
the
> chance to respawn as a different resouce.

However, doing so gives analysis problems.

Try it this way:

There are roughly 5 fish spawns in the pond and another 2 or 3 in the ocean.
Once they've filled up, they're static - they won't despawn and therefore
they won't affect anything you do on the land. Yes, they take up 8
potential land spawns, but that's all they do. In comparison there are over
30 land spawn points still in use. (No, I didn't count them, that's an
estimate. However, next time I find myself in an isolated Oakmyst
instance....)

Now, with them full and therefore locked out, any further spawns *can't* be
of fish, as it doesn't (knock wood) spawn fish on land. So, if you now run
around and harvest every land node you come across, all of the ones you
harvest will be replaced with other land nodes. Thus, you'll get a
reasonably accurate respawn rate for the land nodes and, if you keep track
of the different types you get, a good run at type frequencies if you do it
long enough.

I kept track of only the Grizzled Arbor, and as I said, I was running into
them about one every 5 minutes.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 11:11:39 PM

> "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote
> > "Ken Andrews" <gobble@degook.com> wrote in message
> > > 37.5 + 25 + 12.5 + 12.5 = 87.5. Using Oakmyst as example material:
> >
> > Aye, the fishing is the final 1/8 of the tradeskill spawn. I listed that
> > below as a separate case (which seems to have gotten snipped in your
> response)
> >
> > > Gathering - Muddy Roots, Natural Garden, Natural Herb Garden, Quest
> > > Mining - Moss Covered Rock, Compound Ore
> > > Foresting - Grizzled Arbor
> > > Trapping - Badger Den
> >
> > And Cluster of fish.
> >
> > Quest items no longer use gathering, as of the last major patch.
> >
> > > (Fishing is ignored in the above because if you don't touch them then
> > > they'll max and then stop affecting anything.)
> >
> > The evidence is mixed, but this appears to be incorrect. If you do not
> touch
> > the fish you can eventually work into a position where the majority of the
> > tradeskill nodes in any specific zone are tied up in maintaining the fish
> > (over)population. Clearing out the pond gives each of those fish nodes
> the
> > chance to respawn as a different resouce.
>
> However, doing so gives analysis problems.
>
> Try it this way:
>
> There are roughly 5 fish spawns in the pond and another 2 or 3 in the ocean.
> Once they've filled up, they're static - they won't despawn and therefore
> they won't affect anything you do on the land. Yes, they take up 8
> potential land spawns, but that's all they do. In comparison there are over
> 30 land spawn points still in use. (No, I didn't count them, that's an
> estimate. However, next time I find myself in an isolated Oakmyst
> instance....)
>
> Now, with them full and therefore locked out, any further spawns *can't* be
> of fish, as it doesn't (knock wood) spawn fish on land. So, if you now run
> around and harvest every land node you come across, all of the ones you
> harvest will be replaced with other land nodes. Thus, you'll get a
> reasonably accurate respawn rate for the land nodes and, if you keep track
> of the different types you get, a good run at type frequencies if you do it
> long enough.
>
> I kept track of only the Grizzled Arbor, and as I said, I was running into
> them about one every 5 minutes.

Perhaps thats Oakmyst. They might have capped the fish at a reasonable
amount, I'm not sure since I don't really gather there. The zone is too small
with too few spawn points for any serious gathering.

Pass through Forest ruins and Peat Bog though, you will see fish stacked 4
deep on top of each other, 12 or 15 fish spawn points in each little pool.
(Forest ruins especially, since there are two ponds.) and when all the fish
are up, you'll see a very, very limited number of metal / wood / stone /
trapping nodes spawning around the zone.

Personally, my theory of what is hapening is this. Tradeskill nodes have a
designated spawn area, rather than specific spawn points. Within each spawn
area, there can be X number of tradeskill nodes up, of any type. If the node
is a fish, it is placed specificly in the water portion of the spawn area. In
smaller zones like Forest ruins, the tradeskill spawn area can be as big as
the zone is, in bigger zones multiple areas are used. Clearing a tradeskill
node of any type in the area will cause another to respawn in a few minutes in
the same general spawn area.

I haven't gathered much in Antonica, but I am venturing there now to gather.
Several things did strike me about the trip though. All of the tradeskill
resources were in the center of the zone, and the waters were full of fish.
Typing it out there doesn't give a sense of the extremeness of what I
witnessed though. You would walk along the coastline and the *entire* shore
would be absolutely covered in fish. Stacked 4 deep.. the names so close
that moving your cursor 4 pixels will highlight 3 or 4 different nodes.
Then for about 3 screenlengths inside from the shore, absolutely zero
tradeskill nodes. Then the center of the zone which was spawning every kind
of node (except fish, since no water) and respawning fairly fast.

One of these days I hope to catch a pristine antonica, right after the server
comes up, to see where the tradeskill nodes begin distributed. If nodes begin
covering the whole land, but in the "respawn zones" which overlap the ocean,
eventually all the land ones get cleared and respawn in the ocean. With the
center zone being the only one that can't go completely to fish because of no
water. (Although it does go 75% to shrubs at times. :p ) Or possibly it
begins like that, and there are no spawning areas near the shore. Which would
argue for a static number of fish spawn points.

It's all guessing at this point, but being EQ, and knowing how they did the
placeholder / spawn areas in EQ1... I don't think it's an unreasonable guess.
I haven't seen anything official on it first hand (since I don't read any
official forums) but all the second hand info I've heard is either
inconclusive or supports the "fish overcrowding" theory. Not sure I trust the
sources who have said it though, so... if you know of any dev posts on the
subject, please, please point me at them.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
Dearic - Dwarven Fighter on Mistmoore

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 6:12:02 PM

Ken Andrews wrote:

> "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote
> > "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > > RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in

> > > Trapping has been the hardest to raise, for me, and everyone else I've
> > > talked to.
> >
> > It seems to be a matter of nodes, for the most part. The nodes appear to
> be
> > random, with an equal chance of each item coming up (with one exception).
> >
> > Roots, herbs and good all use gathering, so theres a 37.5% chance a node
> will
> > spawn that can raise that skill. (then adjust upwards because of the
> lower
> > demand for garden / herb nodes)
> > Metal nodes and gem nodes both use mining, so thats a 25% chance of
> raising
> > mining.
> > Foresting only raises from wood nodes, so 12.5%
> > Trapping only raises from den nodes, so 12.5% again.
> >
> > Thats about the difficulty order in raising them as well.
>
> 37.5 + 25 + 12.5 + 12.5 = 87.5. Using Oakmyst as example material:
>
> Gathering - Muddy Roots, Natural Garden, Natural Herb Garden, Quest
> Mining - Moss Covered Rock, Compound Ore
> Foresting - Grizzled Arbor
> Trapping - Badger Den
>
> (Fishing is ignored in the above because if you don't touch them then
> they'll max and then stop affecting anything.)
>
> Assuming equal chance of occurrence, you get Davian's numbers above, with
> the mod that Gathering is 50% of all possibilities.
>
> Now for some extra info. I managed to get an isolated instance for a while
> (everybody else gradually left and then the server stopped allowing people
> to choose the instance) and pulled some rough numbers while working on my
> foresting.
>
> With only me in the zone, running around and harvesting every land node I
> ran across, I was hitting Grizzled Arbor (Foresting) nodes about one every 5
> minutes. Specifically, 22 nodes in just over 2 hours. It took about 4
> nodes on average (12 attempts) to gain a single skillup. Therefore, in an
> ideal environment you can expect a skillup about every 20 minutes for
> Foresting and Trapping, every 10 minutes for Mining, and every 5 minutes for
> Gathering.
>
> However, with 30 people in the area, you're only going to get 1/30 of the
> spawns, changing those numbers to 10 hours, 5 hours, and 2.5 hours
> respectively.

Wow, then I got to 40 mining fairly quickly!!!
!