Lock-ups with Optical Drives

G

Hey. I'm having problems with my system. Whenever I try burning, ripping, copying, or installing from an Optical Disc, my system Locks Ups during the process. My Specs are:
AMD 1.2-200
Abit KT7A
300W Fortron FSP300-60BN PSU
256M Crucial PC133-Cas 2
Maxtor 40.9G 34098H4 5400RPM
Pioneer 106s DVD
TDK 12-10-32
SB Platinum 5.1
Global Win CAK-38
3COM NIC
Diamond Stealth 540 32M
Floppy Drive

I've installed the newest 4in1 Drivers for the MB.
I've tried a clean install of Win 98.
DMA mode is turned on.
Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

G

Both IDE Cables are 80 wire 18 inches.
HD Pri Mas
DVD Sec Mas
CD-RW Sec Slv

G

It locks up when it's the only thing running.
Which of these do any of you might think could be the problem?

Need a more powerful Power Supply Unit
The Motherboard is not a stable one
Put Win 2K on the system.
Need a better Heat Sink Fan

cable could be bad .. try looking for an updated firmware and flash your cd-rw. I have this same problem with my kenwood 72x cd-rom... audio files it likes anything else and it freezes my computer. i just keep it to rip audio ... i can burn audio cd's at 12x with no problems on my plextor writer.

power supply isn't an issue i think because you don't have a lot of drives installed. Try disconnected some of the pwer cables and removing some cards and then try it.. if it still freezes the obviously it isn't your psu.

drive could be bad.. look up faqs at the site and try there tech support .. u may need an rma number ...

it's not a heat issue ... motherboard.. maybe try switching cables and if you get blue screens and your hard drive is acting all weird then either the channels are bad or the cables. switch the cables with a known good part if it still happens then your motherboard is bad.

do you have the standard IDE PCI drivers installed? make sure you are not using VIA bus mastering driver! update it to the standard IDE PCI driver...

hmmm ... thats all i an think of ... your gonna have fun with this problem.

Do you actually believe what you think?