Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
How are we all liking the new Deus Ex? :)

Personally I love it, though I'm finding it a bit repetitive in parts. Almost as good as the original

-Nih

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Still waiting on my pre-ordered copy! :(

I know Steam has it up for $49, but the retail version is for $15. Guess a li'l wait never hurt anyone, but still desperate to play it!

EDIT: In the interim, please do carry on posting your experiences (preferable without spoilers!)....just to ease the passing!

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Yea that really irritates me as well, but if you upgrade the recharge aug then that first battery recharges fairly quickly :)

I wish I could get an aug to turn my arms into guns :/

Overall the game is good, but it doesn't actually feel as free as it seems to claim.

However I'm loving the stealth system - something a lot of games (especially in FPS view) could learn from :)

-Nih

i finished it yesterday after playing for 20 hours. im a bit surprised the main story is a little short compared to the original. i dint like the way it locked you in to the last segments of the story either. over 1/3 of the game i played was gimped by, if you go any further you cant go back... and although there are a few what seem like pivotal plot points they dont seem to have any bearing on the outcome of later missions other than a line of text here and there...

although these arnt game breaking they are frustrating. the game still warrants a 9/10

Did you play while wearing your gold and black jumpsuit? That's the only way to unlock special features

foshi13

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I quite enjoyed the game despite some readily apparent flaws. Architecture and environments were great to explore and had beautiful art design. Overall the graphics were a let down. For a 2011 release the facial and body animations were very stiff and un-life like. Performance was another nitpick with many random crashes to the desktop, freezing, and black screen cutouts.

Story-wise the game creates a nice mix of contemporary science fiction with cyberpunk themes. The world feels very thought out and the emails and books add a lot of back story.

Gameplay was a mixed bagged. I enjoyed the stealth and hacking elements, but the firefights felt stale with the weak A.I. Many of the augmentations were unneeded and the batteries being used for takedowns made no sense.

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
As stated, graphics-wise, a bit of a let-down, but again, graphics aren't everything; story is nice enough, and the exploring made it so much more interesting for me. The stealth system seemed a bit clunky (after playing a real stealth game like Splinter Cell Conviction, though), and the weak AI killed the game a little.

Still, a pretty good game, and after all these years of waiting... worth it, though.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Woohoo!! Finally got mu copy and ran through a few missions.

For starters, the original Deus Ex (2000) made me feel like I was inside the environment. I didn't get the same feel with Invisible War. This one however, brings back the feeling because in so many ways, HR is a lot like the original one. True, the graphics arent' all that to talk about and neither is the AI (which also, feels as if it were picked up from the 2000 game!).

Hacking took some time for me, but eventually managed it and am loving it! The cover system is a nice touch. Very helpful when looking around corners/ waiting for an enemy to be taken down.

LOVE the ambient/ background audio! Very much like the original one, which is a big plus in my books!

As somebody said, many aug's are unnecessary. Plus, the battery charging issue is pretty frustrating. But the best change is the automatic re-healing. Man, I hate looking for med-kits, etc!

All in all, a great experience so far! Can't wait to get back onnit!

P:S:- Could someone set out the differences between the normal edition versus the other editions (augmented, nano, etc)? Wanna know what I'm missing out on.

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
"The Augmented Edition is "augmented" with a 40-page artbook; a bonus DVD with trailers, trailer storyboards, a making-of featurette, and the soundtrack; a motion comic; and, of course, a fancy box to hold it all. It will be released at a $69.99 price point for Xbox 360 and PS3, and $59.99 for PC."

Source: Joystiq.

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I am not sure about that, as I am playing the standard edition, but probably not, except maybe for some sniper rifle and a shotgun that get placed into your inventory for the augmented edition. I don't think they'd do anything to change gameplay or player's choices as opposed to standard editions. Someone correct me, please, if I am wrong.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
"An "Augmented Edition" was released in select European countries, Australia, New Zealand, and the United States. It includes a making-of documentary, motion-comic, E3 trailer, game soundtrack by Michael McCann, animated storyboard, and a 40-page Artbook. In-game, the player will receive an additional mission, weapons, and cash via the included Explosive Mission Pack and the Tactical Enhancement Pack.[28] The Augmented Edition is also available in North America, but does not include the Explosive Mission Pack or the Tactical Enhancement Pack.[28] These packs are available solely as pre-order bonuses from select retailers.[29] In addition, there is a "Collector's Edition" which includes all the contents of the Augmented Edition as well as a Play Arts Kai figure of the game's protagonist, Adam Jensen. This edition was released exclusively in Europe.[30]"

This is what I just came across. Courtesy wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex:_Human_Revolution

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
AND weps!! Still, not bad at all - the standard edition! At least that's what I'll be telling myself for a while! :(

I'm also very impressed with the fact that despite being a long awaited game, there were no glitches while running the game.

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Indeed, it is "clean" enough as a gameplay, but strangely, the engine used seems a bit... I don't know, outdated? But I have enjoyed immensely the 2000 Deus Ex, and I have waited a long time for DE: HR to come out, and I am playing it no matter what.

I don't find this "dated" engine and graphics surprising at all. Alot of games are being targeted at consoles with the idea of sales in mind. Lets face it, companies like 4a, cdprojektred, etc. Are going the way of the buffalo even with the technological advances PCs have made in the past few years. Consoles will forever attract a broader audience and therefore cause developers to make less visually impressive games with a tiny facelift for PC . Imo it should be the opposite with PC being first for development then consoles can get the dumbed down version. Just look what crytek pulled with crysis 2

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
As a matter of fact, I did have Crysis 2 in mind, the Crytek 3 engine namely, which despite what many people claim, I think it renders the game absolutely amazing, or the Dunia engine from Far Cry 2, which can render huge open spaces with virtually no loading time.

Right now my system is AMD Phenom II X4 965BE, 8 GB DDR3 at 1666Mhz, and a not so powerful ATI HD 5770, and this video card can pull off frames well above 50 in Far Cry 2 at highest details at a resolution of 1600x1050, same details on DX10, on "advanced" setting for the same resolution for Crysis 2, and game never even stutters and it looks so much more amazing than I can make Deus Ex: HR look on 1900x1080, DX11, high details, tessellation enabled. And I do believe that Crysis 2 and Far Cry have also been developed for consoles too? Then what gives?

Don't get me wrong, I am not judging a game by its visuals alone, far from that, but it's just a matter of technology put to work here. Just take a look at this Crytek 3 engine presentation, it's something to behold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJEL9Kipuw4&feature=fvwrel.

farcry 2 didnt do much at all for pushing hardware, and neither did crysis 2 until crytek released the DX11 patch, which was too little too late. The cryengine3 was developed to bring crytek to the console world and still develop for all platforms, which left alot to be desired on PC. Deus Ex HR is just another console port with a few fluffs to make it " dx11". The main reason your card can pull off frames like that in those particular games, is they were developed with consoles in mind that are using hardware that pales in comparison to even your "not so powerful 5770" as you said. So if you are playing a game meant for a 1900XT on a 5770, you will be getting smooth framerates like you are saying. Those games all have fairly low rez textures as well as dated AI and cartoonish effects. Crysis 2 is the best looking among DX9 games on console atm, and it still was a letdown. The tech demo might be impressive, but that doesnt make me feel any better about the fact that they didnt do that with crysis 2 in the first place to give us some eye candy. Now DX9 done well? witcher 2;made for PC first. Also look at metro 2033. it looks like balls on console yet PC it is considered one of the best looking games out; also developed for PC with DX11 in mind before console.
This isnt to bash Deus Ex at all; I have yet to play it, but just to give an example of the one thing everyone has mentioned it being " dated graphics" and giving a reason to the rhyme. If the game is fun, its fun regardless of the polished turd on screen.

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I am not sure if it's a curse or a blessing, games being developed with consoles in mind, at the end of the day. I am wondering in this case, how many of us can say they played a game like Metro 2033, and enjoyed it the way it was supposed to (very powerful machines), and how many were able to play "console ports," because those games required less power.

To be absolutely honest, I would really really love to play Metro 2033 and get immersed in the stunning visuals, but getting the Crossfire or SLI cards to do that, plus the rest of the system, oh well... it's quite a long way, money-wise.

And still, I would rather play for the story, than the graphics. That is why I still appreciate Deus Ex: HR, despite its shortcomings. And maybe I should give Metro 2033 another try too, even if that game's quite in another league compared to DE: HR.