EQ2: Newbie questions

Ok so I got the game installed and started playing last night.

6hrs later I finally went to bed :)

Loving everything so far but there's still a fair number of issues that have
got me confused.

1. Having read a post below about it being a good idea to get your
'Forresting/Mining/Fishing/Gathering' stats upto 40 before you leave the
newbie Island I set out to do this.

My problem is that my stats read like:

Fishing 23/26
Forresting 18/26
Gathering 23/26
Mining 16/26

I thought that I could spend a few hours just fishing but this doesnt seem
to be the case. I presume I cant increase one stat to 40 and leave the rest
as they are?

2. My other problem is I spent 2silver on a 'basic fishing rod'. I thought
this would be better than the standard one that I got but it seems exactly
the same. Was this a mistake?

3. My other problem is with the chat screen. Is it possible to filter it so
I only see messages to myself and stats for fights i'm in? At the moment the
text is whizzing up the screen and displaying info on all fights around me.

> I thought that I could spend a few hours just fishing but this doesnt seem
> to be the case. I presume I cant increase one stat to 40 and leave the
> rest as they are?

I think its random as to whether or not the skill increases at use, and it
becomes
more difficult the closer you are to max. You may be having a bit of bad
luck.
I've found sometimes I get several skill increases in a row, and then go for
long stretches without getting an increase at all. I do not think the skills
depend
on each other in any way.

> 2. My other problem is I spent 2silver on a 'basic fishing rod'. I thought
> this would be better than the standard one that I got but it seems exactly
> the same. Was this a mistake?

Some classes do not start with all the equipment, so they have
to buy a fishing pole, or mining axe, etc. I know the mage class starts
with all of them right off the boat. However, my guess is that there are
"advanced" fishing poles, etc available later on.

> 3. My other problem is with the chat screen. Is it possible to filter it
> so I only see messages to myself and stats for fights i'm in? At the
> moment the text is whizzing up the screen and displaying info on all
> fights around me.

Not sure, but that is a good idea. I think I'll do the same if I can.

In article <419f6440$0$43606$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>, Cheddar
wrote:
> 3. My other problem is with the chat screen. Is it possible to filter it
> so I only see messages to myself and stats for fights i'm in? At the
> moment the text is whizzing up the screen and displaying info on all
> fights around me.

Right-click on the chat screen, and one of the options is to open another
chat window. You can have several chat windows open. So, get a couple
windows open, and then right click again on one of them, and you'll find an
option there to set filters or something like that (I forget the exact
command name). That will give you a dialog to control what goes to that
window.

When you set something for a given window, it stops going to the other
windows, so you can make a new window for messages to you and battle info,
and set it for those, and they will stop going to the original window.

One nice touch: when you change the settings for a chat window, it is
retroactive. E.g., if you make a new window and set it for tells to you,
all tells to you from your other windows get moved to that window, so it is
basically like you had set it up that way from the beginning.

Note that if you close one of these windows, it is like most other
windows--it still logically exists, but you simply do not see it. So, if
you close your "tells and battle info" window, that data will NOT start
showing up in the other window. If you aren't careful, you could have an
important category of chat going somewhere you can't see.

--
--Tim Smith

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:35:27 -0000, "Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net>
wrote:

>1. Having read a post below about it being a good idea to get your
>'Forresting/Mining/Fishing/Gathering' stats upto 40 before you leave the
>newbie Island I set out to do this.
>
>My problem is that my stats read like:
>
>Fishing 23/26
>Forresting 18/26
>Gathering 23/26
>Mining 16/26
>
>I thought that I could spend a few hours just fishing but this doesnt seem
>to be the case. I presume I cant increase one stat to 40 and leave the rest
>as they are?

Your maximum number will increase as you level - at 15, my max is 76
or so.

You can focus on fishing if you want, but you're better the raise the
rest, to, if you want to craft later on, as you need to be able to
have raw materials - you can buy the basic parts (tin bar, fossil
temper, etc) but this gets very costly very fast.

All my gathering skills are now 40+, with the exception of Trapping,
which is still in the mid-20's, hence regular trips back to Oakmyst to
try and raise it.

Once they're over 40, you can go to Antonica, where things are
plentiful (in the right areas).

And what's with all the carrots ?

Wolfie

"Cheddar" wrote

> 1. Having read a post below about it being a good idea to get your
> 'Forresting/Mining/Fishing/Gathering' stats up to 40 before you leave the
> newbie Island I set out to do this.

Yes, that's a generallly a good idea.

> My problem is that my stats read like:
>
> Fishing 23/26
> Forresting 18/26
> Gathering 23/26
> Mining 16/26

Right - you need to raise them all to 40, especially Trapping
(which you forgot...)

> I thought that I could spend a few hours just fishing but this doesnt seem
> to be the case. I presume I cant increase one stat to 40 and leave the
> rest as they are?

Not unless you just want to fish later...

> 2. My other problem is I spent 2silver on a 'basic fishing rod'. I thought
> this would be better than the standard one that I got but it seems exactly
> the same. Was this a mistake?

AFAIK that's a leftover from beta. Now they give them to you
'magically.'

> 3. My other problem is with the chat screen. Is it possible to filter it
> so I only see messages to myself and stats for fights i'm in? At the
> moment the text is whizzing up the screen and displaying info on all
> fights around me.

Right click on the window and choose chat options. Filter out Others...

On the calendar, in the box marked 11/20/2004 3:19 PM ^ Wolfie scratched:

> "Cheddar" wrote
>
>> Fishing 23/26
>> Forresting 18/26
>> Gathering 23/26
>> Mining 16/26
>
> Right - you need to raise them all to 40, especially Trapping
> (which you forgot...)

Unless you know something I don't, there are no Trapping nodes on IoR.
This is something I /feedback'd.

>> 2. My other problem is I spent 2silver on a 'basic fishing rod'. I thought
>> this would be better than the standard one that I got but it seems exactly
>> the same. Was this a mistake?
>
> AFAIK that's a leftover from beta. Now they give them to you
> 'magically.'

They were inteded to do something at the very end of beta, but the devs
never got to it, near as I know. As of two days ago, they said that
basic harvesting tools *will* have a use, which should go into the first
non-OMGFIXTEHBUGGGSS!!! patch.

Inyidd
--
Nyarlathotep casts a spell

"Justin H." <justinh@NOSPAM.whidbey.net> wrote in message
> On the calendar, in the box marked 11/20/2004 3:19 PM ^ Wolfie scratched:
>
>> "Cheddar" wrote
>>
>>> Fishing 23/26
>>> Forresting 18/26
>>> Gathering 23/26
>>> Mining 16/26
>>
>> Right - you need to raise them all to 40, especially Trapping
>> (which you forgot...)
>
> Unless you know something I don't, there are no Trapping nodes on IoR.
> This is something I /feedback'd.

Thanks, I was wondering how you go about trapping. I didnt see anything like
that on the IoR.

Another point, is it possible to reach lvl 40 in fishing etc on the IoR. My
guy seemed to max out at 35 and because I couldnt advance any further the
limiting stat never rose to 40.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. Loving EQ2 :)

Cheddar wrote:
> "Justin H." <justinh@NOSPAM.whidbey.net> wrote in message
>
>>On the calendar, in the box marked 11/20/2004 3:19 PM ^ Wolfie scratched:
>>

>>>"Cheddar" wrote

>>>Right - you need to raise them all to 40, especially Trapping
>>>(which you forgot...)
>>
>>Unless you know something I don't, there are no Trapping nodes on IoR.
>>This is something I /feedback'd.
>

> Thanks, I was wondering how you go about trapping. I didnt see anything like
> that on the IoR.
>
> Another point, is it possible to reach lvl 40 in fishing etc on the IoR. My
> guy seemed to max out at 35 and because I couldnt advance any further the
> limiting stat never rose to 40.
>
> Thanks again to everyone who replied. Loving EQ2 :)

I'm pretty sure it's possible, yes.

--Inyidd

In article <rqevp0d3d09817nqvedein9lf3sd8ulvdj@4ax.com>, Mark Morrison
wrote:
> You can focus on fishing if you want, but you're better the raise the
> rest, to, if you want to craft later on, as you need to be able to have
> raw materials - you can buy the basic parts (tin bar, fossil temper, etc)
> but this gets very costly very fast.

Even if you don't want to craft, you'll probably know some crafters who can
use anything useful you harvest.

Also, because of the way these things spawn, even if all you care about is
fishing, you'll have a better chance of finding fish if you clear out the
other types of things that spawn in the zone. (Well, as long as other
people are clearing them out, it doesn't matter, of course, and fish are the
ones that many people don't bother with...so if you are going to concentrate
on only one and ignore the others, I suppose fish are the best choice!)

--
--Tim Smith

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in message

> "Cheddar" wrote
>
> > 1. Having read a post below about it being a good idea to get your
> > 'Forresting/Mining/Fishing/Gathering' stats up to 40 before you leave
the
> > newbie Island I set out to do this.
>
> Yes, that's a generallly a good idea.
>
> > My problem is that my stats read like:
> >
> > Fishing 23/26
> > Forresting 18/26
> > Gathering 23/26
> > Mining 16/26
>
> Right - you need to raise them all to 40, especially Trapping
> (which you forgot...)
>
> > I thought that I could spend a few hours just fishing but this doesnt
seem
> > to be the case. I presume I cant increase one stat to 40 and leave the
> > rest as they are?
>
> Not unless you just want to fish later...
>
> > 2. My other problem is I spent 2silver on a 'basic fishing rod'. I
thought
> > this would be better than the standard one that I got but it seems
exactly
> > the same. Was this a mistake?
>
> AFAIK that's a leftover from beta. Now they give them to you
> 'magically.'
>
> > 3. My other problem is with the chat screen. Is it possible to filter it
> > so I only see messages to myself and stats for fights i'm in? At the
> > moment the text is whizzing up the screen and displaying info on all
> > fights around me.
>
> Right click on the window and choose chat options. Filter out Others...

I've had weird results with the filters. I have 2 windows, and one is just
for tells and ooc. I periodically find that the tick for it disappears so
that i'll type something ooc and will notice it doesn't appear in either
window, and i have to re-check the box. I bugged it but i had trouble
accurately describing it and it's intermittent which means it can be
terribly hard to fix.

I have problems with the waypoints too; i can't initiate one but if i die,
it works fine. I get the message about the glowing trail when i click on
things on the map, but otherwise nada.

I bought a basic harvesting item which didn't seem to make any difference.
At least now i know why. Argh, that was a lot of cash for me at the start.
I'm hoping to find some way to make a profit crafting, but so far it's a
loss. Prisitine items sell for the same price to vendors as lousy ones.
Anyone know if you can make a profit crafting to sell to vendors? I doubt
i'll ever be able to setup a market like i did in SWG or the bazaar and make
money that way, the eq2 situation seems like the worst of both systems.

Eski the ever overloaded,
Antonia Bayle.

Wolfie

dontemailme wrote:

> Anyone know if you can make a profit
> crafting to sell to vendors?

Yes. A simple Packet of Spice sells for more than the cost of
ingredients bought from the same vendor. You'll not get rich
doing it, but it pays for skillups. I managed to level from just
below 4 (right off the island) to about 8.5 for about 1s and
that included buying books -- including buying one twice by
mistake. So I about broke even.

> I doubt i'll ever be able to setup a
> market like i did in SWG or the bazaar and make money that way, the
> eq2 situation seems like the worst of both systems.

It seems rather effective to me -- a LOT will depend on whether
anything sells to players (other than spells/abilities), of course.
I haven't considered anything yet because it hasn't been needed;
the quests are good enough at least until 16. I expect that to
change, but who knows?

> dontemailme wrote:
>

> > I doubt i'll ever be able to setup a
> > market like i did in SWG or the bazaar and make money that way, the
> > eq2 situation seems like the worst of both systems.
>
> It seems rather effective to me -- a LOT will depend on whether
> anything sells to players (other than spells/abilities), of course.
> I haven't considered anything yet because it hasn't been needed;
> the quests are good enough at least until 16. I expect that to
> change, but who knows?

Certain items seem to be selling, although I'm just using straight /auction at
the moment.

Did they leave in the requirement that you have to be logged in and in your
house to sell your goods? Or did that get cut out. Cause that was
thedealbreaker for me. I will not buy a second account just to leave a vendor
up. And I don't have a second computer to run it even if I was that crazy.
Couldn't stand it for EQ's bazaar system either.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Dearic - Dwarven Fighter on Mistmoore

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci

Wolfie

Davian wrote:

> Did they leave in the requirement that you have to be logged in and
> in your house to sell your goods?

No, and I doubt they do.

> I will not buy a second account just to leave a vendor up.

Neither will I but I'll certainly run a vendor in the background
when I'm not playing or using the computer for something
else that needs the space. At least in a 'house' there's not
all that much computer resources needed to run EQ2.