System Upgrade Suggestions

haiwaan

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I want to upgrade my system, i play a lot of PC game, my current pc Configuration is Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU 2.80 Ghz, 2GB Ram, Gigabyte G41M ES2L motherboard, Standard Intex 650W power supply, Standard I-ball cabinet.

I would like to know to how to make it better to run latest games, what is need to be done with my PC, i dont have graphic card yet but i am able to play games like COD1 and 2, Farcry, NFS (haven't tried Prostreet, Shift, shift 2, Hot pursuit new one), I really want to play good games like you all do, games like Crysis, Necrovision, Metro2023, left for dead, tho I havent tried to install them fearing my computer wont be able to handle such graphical mayhem, now i have somehow managed to safe around Rs 25000 (Indian Rupees) and I want to spend it fully on making my computer powerful gaming system, I wont be able to upgrade my system for next at least 1 and half year, so please suggest me how to proceed with this tight budget. Which graphic card will go good with my system? Do i need to buy new processor and motherboard to play latest games or can i play with the present configuration just by getting a new video card? Please help me.

At present m thinking of going for intel i5 2500k and Gigabyte GA-Z68x-UD3h-B3 but if I do so i am afraid i wont be able to buy GeForce GTX 550i with my current budget.

I heard some guys saying u can upgrade ur dual core to quad core. Is that a good idea for gaming pc? if it is, then what u suggest would be the configuration for that type of system?

Again, some people asked me to go for intel i3 and same gigabyte board, basically m totally confused, i have money in my hand all the time but not able to decide how to go ahead, its really hard earn money and wont be able to upgrade it for next say about 2 years. please kindly help

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Most games still utilize dual-core, but if you plan on overclocking quad cores tend to overclock better because they stay cooler. The only game I play that utilizes all of my quad-core is Crysis2.

I would not game with an i3 personally, I would get at least an i5 such as the 2500k you said. But if you don't plan on really doing any overclocking and you wont really be prepared for newer games that will be utilizing quad-cores then a i3 dual core should be fine.

karanpal singh

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
my system is intel core2duo 2.66ghz,intel dg31pr motherboard,ati/amd 5550 graphics card,and 1440*900 display.i can play all modern games at medium/high settings.i got it all well under 20000 excluding ups and speakers.u should consider a 2core cpu and probably a better graphic card.

haiwaan

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. When it comes to computer m complete noob.

I really didnt get it what u really mean? Should I keep my CPU and mother board as it is and go for a new graphic card? What is overclocking?

Please help, m just kid and really do not understand much of technical language. Please understand and give a bit more info.

Thanks again postive replying

haiwaan

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hi karanpal,

Thanx for ur reply

Ur system configuration looks very good. So, i should go for new processor (core 2 duo) , new motherboard and get a 5550 card?

With my present configuration, can just adding graphic card wont solve my problem ? I am not that hungry for max out, the way I play COD 2 in my system without graphic card is still very good u know.

I just want to add some more power to my system so that it can handle latest games, cant I do this just by adding a new graphic card? I know if there is no option then I would love to have the configuration of ur system but still m looking for some more suggestion.

Please do help

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
It looks like the games you are wanting to play are more gpu taxing, so upgrading graphics card would be the best thing. For current games any core 2 duo or better cpu should do the job. Not sure what card you have atm but I would recommend getting at least a GTX260 or better/HD 4890 or better gpu...

haiwaan

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Actually, I have the card that comes with the computer, i have never bought any graphic card but i can still play Call of duty 1 and Call of duty 2, Far cry, NFS, but cant play 18 wheel of truck and Medal of honor Airborne because some graphic issues so isn't it would wise for me to just buy a good graphic card at the present time as m desperate to play Crysis. If I do so, will i be able to upgrade my motherboard and CPU later

I mean if I spend 10000 this time on graphic card only i would be saving 15000 rs, cant I just wait a few more months and save some more money for something more powerful? Is that a good idea for the present time? If so

Which card should I get for my present configuration in Rs 10000?

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I don't think your current mobo supports pci-e 2.0, so you would need to upgrade mobo. if you got the one you listed above you would also need to get a different cpu.

I wouldn't get a new gpu until you could use pci-e 2.0

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I am not sure about prices there but here a gtx460 you can get easily for around 150USD which is like 7000 for you I think? Or you could wait and get a gtx480 which is around 300USD which is around 14,000 for you.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+460

That is a somewhat simple chart to sort of show performance difference to see if you think it is worth it.(The GTX480 requires 600w PSU so you should be fine)

haiwaan

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I just came to know that my mobo support PCI. Is this not good to play latest games? Cant I buy Graphic card that support PCI? Ur suggestions really helping me. Thanks a lot.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
You wont find a good PCI card for gaming. Will need PCI-E 2.0 x16 for a good gaming card

PCI-E are compatible forwards and backwards... PCI-E2.0 cards would work in a PCI-Ex1, also PCI-E2.1 would fit in a PCI-E2.0

But wont work with regular PCI slot, so if you only have a regular PCI slot then you would need to upgrade mobo to be able to fit better gpu.

haiwaan

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
ok, now can I upgrade my motherboard to PCI E 2.0 x16 and graphic card without upgrading my Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU 2.80 Ghz? Is that possible? I almost got all the answers just this last one please.

haiwaan

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Thanx a lot for,

I finally came to know my motherboard is Gigabyte G41M-ES2L. I read a bit about it and it says " G41M-ES2L has two standard PCI slots, one PCI Express x1 slot and one PCI Express x16 slots, which allows you to install a "real" video card. So, you can use this board to build or to upgrade in the future your computer into a simple gaming PC."

Now, I think I just have to get a new graphic card. isn't it? What u suggest would be the best for me ?