Will a noobie late starter in EQ2 be swamped with
battlehardened experienced players?

--
Andi.

Remove only one zero to reply

Andi Cole wrote:

> Will a noobie late starter in EQ2 be swamped with
> battlehardened experienced players?

I would vote no. It seems to me that the newbie hunting zones are
pretty well kept at a good population by the use of instancing. By the
time one gets into the teens when groupage, at least from what I can tell,
seems more common, one would have learned enough of the game mechanics to
no longer be a "noobie".

Of course, alot of this answer depends on what your definition of
"noobie" and "swamped with battlehardened experienced players" is. If you
are talking about economics, well then, yes, there will always be players
that know more than you. If you are speaking of levels, then yes, until
you hit the level cap yourself, there will always be players who are a
higher level than you. If you are speaking of "just knowing how to play
the game-ness" then you might want to consider that all MMORPGs have had
players of relative skill. So. I don't think you'll have any problems
learning the game and getting through the starting levels because of
players who have started earlier, but if you are the jealous type then yes,
there will be people who can inspire that reaction in you.

--
Annie

In EQII:

Tealeaf-- Ogre Priest on AB
Teacup -- Gnome Fighter on AB

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm
http://tinyurl.com/yvud6
http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

_______

If you can't figure out my email address, you're not supposed to write me.

"Andi Cole" <andi@eloc00.co.uk> wrote in message
> Will a noobie late starter in EQ2 be swamped with
> battlehardened experienced players?
>
> --
> Andi.

Oddly enough, no. For some reason the "Gotta get to 50 today" powergamers
don't exist. I have yet to see anyone over 20 yet on Lavastorm anyways.

A thousand monkeys banging on keyboards posted the following under the
name "mnthacker" <mnthacker@sbcglobal.net>:

>"Andi Cole" <andi@eloc00.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Will a noobie late starter in EQ2 be swamped with
>> battlehardened experienced players?
>
>Oddly enough, no. For some reason the "Gotta get to 50 today" powergamers
>don't exist. I have yet to see anyone over 20 yet on Lavastorm anyways.

They exist, leveling is just slower. About L25 is the highest on
Blackburrow, maybe one or two higher.

--

"Why stop now, just when I'm hating it?" - Marvin

"It's certainly not a "memory leak." - 'shadows', my latest stalker
"No one said it wasn't a memory leak." - 'shadows' a few posts later

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Ben Sisson" <ilkhanikeDIESPAM@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>A thousand monkeys banging on keyboards posted the following under the
> name "mnthacker" <mnthacker@sbcglobal.net>:
>

>>"Andi Cole" <andi@eloc00.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Will a noobie late starter in EQ2 be swamped with
>>> battlehardened experienced players?
>>
>>Oddly enough, no. For some reason the "Gotta get to 50 today" powergamers
>>don't exist. I have yet to see anyone over 20 yet on Lavastorm anyways.
>
> They exist, leveling is just slower. About L25 is the highest on
> Blackburrow, maybe one or two higher.
>

> --
>
> "Why stop now, just when I'm hating it?" - Marvin
>
> "It's certainly not a "memory leak." - 'shadows', my latest stalker
> "No one said it wasn't a memory leak." - 'shadows' a few posts later
Memory leak? more like a memory hold if you ask me.

mnthacker wrote:
> "Andi Cole" <andi@eloc00.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Will a noobie late starter in EQ2 be swamped with
>>battlehardened experienced players?
>>
>>--
>>Andi.
>

> Oddly enough, no. For some reason the "Gotta get to 50 today" powergamers
> don't exist. I have yet to see anyone over 20 yet on Lavastorm anyways.

Just did a check on Lavastorm tonight ~ 8pm, and there were 5 players
that were over 25th but none higher.

I can tell you one thing for sure, killing mobs doesn't get you the exp
that you can get by doing quests. Just by doing my mage final test in
the mage tower I leveled twice during the test which was to kill 5
creatures in sequence and at your own pace. Went from 8th to 10th by
killing just those 5. I also leveled to 12th tonight just by locating a
building in Antonica. They've geared the game to be much more quest
rewarding then by sitting in a cave killing recondites for a few hours.

The second rewarding feature is the tradeskills. If you are just
remotely interested in tradeskills the ease of use and the actual fun of
doing it is outstanding. It's a whole different game. Also, locating
the different items to harvest is super nice and easy. No standing
around a zone for hours moving a few feet then /forage, repeat to
infinity...

I couldn't imagine anyone playing EQ2 and saying, 'well it's ok, I'm
going to play EQ1 instead.' For people the deciding factor is going to
be the hardware requirements. They're steep, I'm using a GeForce 4 Ti
4400 and it's choking on the high performance setting. To counter this
I just picked up an Athlon64 and GeForce FX 6600 GT which should take
care of all my problems. I don't mean to discourage anyone here. If
you can play eq with all the expansions and not choke too bad in a nice
sized raid, you'll be able to play EQ2 fine just with lower settings is
all. You don't loose on the gameplay at all and that's what makes it an
awesome game.

In article <cksvp0939b6esspkv4seahvol3ef7dbqfd@4ax.com>,
Ben Sisson <ilkhanikeDIESPAM@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>They exist, leveling is just slower. About L25 is the highest on
>Blackburrow, maybe one or two higher.

Similar story on Kithicor when I looked around last night; no one
above the mid-20s. A few people were griping in /ooc about the pain
of exp grinding in the teens.

-- Ray

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

On 22-Nov-2004, Southern Hospitality <SouthernHospitality@GoodOleSouth.org>
wrote:

> Wheew, I'm using an Athlon XP 1700+ but also have 1 gig. The new system
> will only have 512 for the time being. Goodness, I hope it doesn't
> choke on that. I know there's a bug with the game right now, at least
> for my system. Seems to crash about every 2 hours. I managed to catch
> the memory footprint and it's around 520 megs. The crash seems to occur
> mostly just as the game is loading me into a new zone. I get to hear
> the sounds and then poof, game gone. Haven't updated my sound drivers
> so I might try that next. /shrug
>
> So to keep in the context of the thread here, it appears that haveing a
> slow system with 1 gig should get you by but having only 512 might get
> you more lagtime then playtime.

1 gig of ram is "almost" mandatory for decent play...

me

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:42:57 GMT, "Sparky" <biff@funco.com> wrote:

>On 22-Nov-2004, Southern Hospitality <SouthernHospitality@GoodOleSouth.org>
>wrote:
>
>> Wheew, I'm using an Athlon XP 1700+ but also have 1 gig. The new system
>> will only have 512 for the time being. Goodness, I hope it doesn't
>> choke on that. I know there's a bug with the game right now, at least
>> for my system. Seems to crash about every 2 hours. I managed to catch
>> the memory footprint and it's around 520 megs. The crash seems to occur
>> mostly just as the game is loading me into a new zone. I get to hear
>> the sounds and then poof, game gone. Haven't updated my sound drivers
>> so I might try that next. /shrug
>>
>> So to keep in the context of the thread here, it appears that haveing a
>> slow system with 1 gig should get you by but having only 512 might get
>> you more lagtime then playtime.
>
> 1 gig of ram is "almost" mandatory for decent play...

Yep - big improvement after upgrading to 1 GB/
..
Now I need a new mobo and CPU...

And what's with all the carrots ?

Stryker

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

"Ray Rocker" <rocker@datasync.com> wrote in message
> In article <cksvp0939b6esspkv4seahvol3ef7dbqfd@4ax.com>,
> Ben Sisson <ilkhanikeDIESPAM@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >They exist, leveling is just slower. About L25 is the highest on
> >Blackburrow, maybe one or two higher.
>
> Similar story on Kithicor when I looked around last night; no one
> above the mid-20s. A few people were griping in /ooc about the pain
> of exp grinding in the teens.

It doesn't takes more than a couple of hours to get a level unless you solo.
Had a full group in wailing caves, all level 13 or 14, for about 3 hours
during which we all got a level. The next day it took me less than an hour
to get another level by going and talking to a few NPCs to complete the
quests I had gotten the kills for in the caves.
Hardly call it a grind if it takes 4 odd hours for 2 levels, most of it in a
talkative group.

Stryker

Southern Hospitality <SouthernHospitality@GoodOleSouth.org> wrote in

> mnthacker wrote:
>> "Andi Cole" <andi@eloc00.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Will a noobie late starter in EQ2 be swamped with
>>>battlehardened experienced players?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Andi.
>>

>> Oddly enough, no. For some reason the "Gotta get to 50 today"
>> powergamers don't exist. I have yet to see anyone over 20 yet on
>> Lavastorm anyways.
>>

> Just did a check on Lavastorm tonight ~ 8pm, and there were 5 players
> that were over 25th but none higher.
>
> I can tell you one thing for sure, killing mobs doesn't get you the
> exp that you can get by doing quests. Just by doing my mage final
> test in the mage tower I leveled twice during the test which was to
> kill 5 creatures in sequence and at your own pace. Went from 8th to
> 10th by killing just those 5. I also leveled to 12th tonight just by
> locating a building in Antonica. They've geared the game to be much
> more quest rewarding then by sitting in a cave killing recondites for
> a few hours.
>
> The second rewarding feature is the tradeskills. If you are just
> remotely interested in tradeskills the ease of use and the actual fun
> of doing it is outstanding. It's a whole different game. Also,
> locating the different items to harvest is super nice and easy. No
> standing around a zone for hours moving a few feet then /forage,
> repeat to infinity...
>
> I couldn't imagine anyone playing EQ2 and saying, 'well it's ok, I'm
> going to play EQ1 instead.' For people the deciding factor is going
> to be the hardware requirements. They're steep, I'm using a GeForce 4
> Ti 4400 and it's choking on the high performance setting. To counter
> this I just picked up an Athlon64 and GeForce FX 6600 GT which should
> take care of all my problems. I don't mean to discourage anyone here.
> If you can play eq with all the expansions and not choke too bad in a
> nice sized raid, you'll be able to play EQ2 fine just with lower
> settings is all. You don't loose on the gameplay at all and that's
> what makes it an awesome game.

It should be noted for those considering buying the game that the highest
graphics settings come right out and tell you that they will likely
render the game all but unplayable on even the top-end machines today.
They have built in plenty of room to grow.

I play the game on the balanced setting. The only thing I notice missing
is the ground flora. I did turn that on specifically last night with no
significant performance degradation.

--
Rumble

"The floggings will continue until morale improves."
-- Blackbeard

In article <8ol5q01flfpobi1jtm40b1ofu6ath2drf7@4ax.com>,
Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:42:57 GMT, "Sparky" <biff@funco.com> wrote:
>

>>On 22-Nov-2004, Southern Hospitality <SouthernHospitality@GoodOleSouth.org>
>>wrote:
>>> So to keep in the context of the thread here, it appears that haveing a
>>> slow system with 1 gig should get you by but having only 512 might get
>>> you more lagtime then playtime.
>>
>> 1 gig of ram is "almost" mandatory for decent play...
>>
>Yep - big improvement after upgrading to 1 GB/

No doubt, I doubled my RAM from 512M to 1G yesterday and the difference
was like night and day where navigation around the Qeynos city zones
and zoning times in general were concerned.

-- Ray