Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Singularity, stuttering

Last response: in Video Games
August 29, 2011 11:25:07 AM

The game fires up and runs smooth on highest settings with average FPS of 45-50. That is, only upto about an hour of playing though! After about an hour, the audio gets 'scattered' and eventually starts lagging. Subsequently, the FPS drops to 12-14, then below 10 and it becomes unplayable. Ultimately, I end up quitting the game and restarting it, only to be faced with the same issue after a while. Honestly, it pi***s me off!!

The GPU temp's are 78-80, which is normal (well, permissible!) for the 470. The PCB temp is also about 55, which is also pretty alright, coz it goes higher in Crysis 2, Metro 2033, etc but doesn't lag or shutdown.

Soooo......just trying to figure out the reason for the stutter. The game is on Steam. Would appreciate any help/ suggestions on how to overcome the issue.

More about : singularity stuttering

August 30, 2011 2:29:38 AM

sounds like a memory issue/memory leak. Run memtest86+, run a full hard drive scan with the manufacturers diagnostic tool, run windows checkdisk, reinstall the game and make sure its updated.
m
l
August 30, 2011 4:50:45 AM

Try re-installing the game.
Does Crysis 2, Metro 2033 etc lag as well like this or only singularity has this problem ?
Make sure it's a clean re-install too.
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2011 9:07:05 AM

iam2thecrowe:
Hmm, is memory leak a common issue with games? I figured something is draining the juice out of the rig. A 'leak' does sound like an issue here. But I'm not too familiar with 'leaks'. Perhaps a little more info on that before I resort to reinstalling?

GMan:
It's only with Singularity. Metro, Crysis 2 (with the DX11, high res pack), etc all run smooth without any lag. Re-installing will be a bummer at this stage coz I feel I'm almost at the end of the game and dunno if Steam will let me resume from my current progress if I were to re-install.
m
l

Best solution

August 30, 2011 1:26:34 PM

Well, since it doesn't happen with any other games, then this is a game issue. You should definitely try and re-install the game even if it may be a huge problem.
Did you do all the things that iam2thecrowe asked you to ? :) 
Quote:
iam2thecrowe
Run memtest86+, run a full hard drive scan with the manufacturers diagnostic tool, run windows checkdisk, reinstall the game and make sure its updated.
August 30, 2011 3:18:06 PM

No, not yet. Will try it tonight once I get home from work (ARRGH!!) :) 
Thanks for the inputs, will post the outcome soon.
m
l
September 6, 2011 5:45:38 AM

Re-installing the game did the trick. Thanks for the inputs people! :) 
m
l
September 6, 2011 5:45:53 AM

Best answer selected by namelessonez.
m
l
!