Sign in with
Your question

Which Burner & DVD Rom to go with A7M266?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • DVD Drives
  • Burner
  • Plextor
  • CD-Rom
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2001 2:49:03 AM

I already bought an Asus A7M266 Mobo.
Now I need some advice as to which CD Writer and DVD Rom is the best to go with this board with minimal or no conflicts.

Primary choices are:

1) Intend to buy Plextor 12x10x32 but no stock, only 16x available but more expensive. Any recomendations for burners equivalent to Plextor? Is the ACER or AOPEN 12X10X32 CD Writer OK? Speed isn't critical.

2) PIONEER 16x DVD ROM.

Thanks for any advice.

More about : burner dvd rom a7m266

August 8, 2001 3:55:03 AM

Stick with a brand name in the DVD or CDRW divisions and you are pretty much assured to having good compatibility. In mine I have an HP CDRW and a Creative PC-DVD 12x.
August 8, 2001 8:50:59 AM

Quote:
Intend to buy Plextor 12x10x32 but no stock, only 16x available but more expensive. Any recomendations for burners equivalent to Plextor?

Yamaha CRW2100ENB (16/10/40X) at <b><A HREF="http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/ProdMM-RE-YA.hmx?UID=&CID...;b>CD+ROM-Rewritable</b>&Back=ProdMM-RE-YA.hmx?" target="_new">MWave</A></b> for $126?
<b><A HREF="http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/doc/a13090.html" target="_new">Its specs</A></b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2001 1:59:13 PM

well for me, i have the redfox m7mia, which has the same chipset as your mobo, i have the plextor 16/10/40 and its working great! Can i ask y0u smething? im from the philippines and we dont have the asus m7m here, where did you buy your mobo?
August 9, 2001 11:51:20 AM

I am not sure about the burner. cdrinfo.com is a good place to look. I am almost positive on the best DVD drive though. It is the LiteOn LTD-163. The only real downside to this drive is the RPC2.

Maybe this can be bypassed:

"I recently bought an LTD-163 dvd drive. all the information I can gather on this thing says that it's an RPC-2 drive. Evidently it pulls the region from the first DVD that you insert in to the drive. If you were to insert an RCE disk first thing, (i believe which are marked as region 0) would this effectively unlock the region on the drive?
I've wondered if this would be a solution to all the drives that operate in this manner.

Ok, now if this solution doesn't work, I have noticed that there are three sets of jumper pins on the lower right hand corner on the back of the drive (this is in addition to the ma/sl/cs jumper pins). I have not been able to find anything documenting these pins, official or unoffical. does anyone by chance know anything or have any suggestions? the drive came with non of them being jumpered but I intend to do some experimenting. "

This site may help too:

http://firmware.inmatrix.com
www.inmatrix.com

I just heard of this: toshiba SD-M1621 . It may be good. Don't know much about it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2001 1:19:14 PM

Hi muzikfreakah,
I am from Singapore and I recently bought the A7M266.
However I'm facing some problems with this Mobo.
See my latest post :)  on "Help needed! Asus A7M266"

Well, I guess I have to make several trips to the computer store to get this thing solved. I know A7M266 is a great mobo.... just a pity that I couldn't get it working at this present moment.

ADVICE ON ATX CASING WITH A7M266
Also I've got a midi ATX casing & to my surprise, the
peripherals, eg DVD Rom, CDWriter couldn't fit into the case after I mounted the A7M266. This is because some molex connectors and capacitors on this mobo blocked the way. I'm going to get a more suitable ATX casing.

It is certainly annoying to face problems when fixing up a computer. Hope that when this A7M266 mobo baby is up and running, I can enjoy the fruits of my labour. Cheers...
August 10, 2001 8:55:49 AM

to tell you the truth any generic DVD or CDrw drive should work fine, but with anything name brand items are better. I would get either Plextor, Yamaha, HP, or sony CDrw drive, and either Creative, Pioneer, or sony DVD drives. Of coarse there are other real nice brands but they slip my mind right now.
!