Sign in with
Your question

What games are you playing?

Last response: in Video Games
June 29, 2003 6:10:39 PM

Games I'm currently playing include:
Quest for Glory 5 (yep still workin on it)
Grim Fandango (best buy, $2, prob best deal ever for this game)
WC3 (dont care what they say, i think it rules)
HOMM4
Majesty w/expansion (an underdog, the way i likem)
and I plan Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction with my girlfriend late at night.. its easy for her and its really fun. Though I sometimes take it a little to seriously. :) 

Does anyone here enjoy playing HOMM? I have been playing the series loyally since HOMM1 was released. I remember when PC Gamer had a review on Hammer of the Gods that intrigued me, and then I got into this style of game when HOMM was released. I read in the latest PC Gamer that Age of Wonders is better than HOMM but it would take alot to pull me away, over the years I've become pretty attached to the colorful atmosphere and gameplay.

I'd be interested in Age of Wonder opinions.

Oh and I tried Rise of Nations, very fun game but not something I'd pick up.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

More about : games playing

June 29, 2003 8:52:25 PM

*wonders what HOMM is*

Well, I still play CS a lot, a little Starcraft now and then. I've enjoyed Rise Of Nations quite a bit so far. Umm, Enter The Matrix, GTA Vice City, UT2k3, and Scorched Earth 3D :D 
June 29, 2003 9:24:43 PM

homm=heroes of might and magic, a turn based stategy game with a medieval fantasy setting.. its a classic series like warcraft

i agree on rise of nations, very good game.. i have ut2k3 but plays much to like quake3

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500
Related resources
June 29, 2003 11:12:36 PM

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is one of the best games of all time imo. So much replayability.

I find myself playing Morrowind and UT2k3 more often than not. Although there were a few excellent mods just released for DungeonSiege.
June 30, 2003 12:23:24 AM

Doesn't anybody have gamer-ADD like me? All this talk about mmorpg this, and strategy game that. A little Everquest here, some HHOM there. All I gotta say is: BOOORRRRING!

Aren't there any PC gamers that JUST like the more simple games. You know, Serious Sam, Unreal 2, Medal of Honor, Tiger Woods, Colin McRae. I'm talkin' FPS, sports games, 3rd person, and let's not forget RPG's. NOT the online ones. RPG's are the only genre that is engrossing without being boring as balls.

Gamer-ADD rules!

--

"<i>I'm seriously you guys.</i>" - Cartman
June 30, 2003 3:14:36 AM

MMO's arent for everyone, that's for sure. But you dont like RTS games? Not even a little bit? Cmon now, I know you love Starcraft at least, right? You can tell me.

PS. Unreal 2? Bleck. Pretty to look at, done in a day. I'd rather play through Half-Life for the 1 millionth time. =)
June 30, 2003 3:33:19 AM

Right now, the only game im playing is America's Army
June 30, 2003 4:07:39 AM

actually that one was my least favorite.. the first had a graphical touch that is pretty classic, the 2nd was great and the 3rd i felt was more of the same.

you really should try 4, i think its the best one yet.
i used to play the prequil to morrowind, daggerfall forever and ever... i never invested much time into morrowind.

dungeonsiege is great but i had a burnt copy and it crashed in the caves everytime :) 
dont worry the rest of my games are LEGAL!

June 30, 2003 4:44:38 AM

I have HOMM4, I couldnt really get into it. The lack of randomly generated maps really threw me off. So I never bothered to pick up any of the expansion packs.
June 30, 2003 7:04:42 AM

I'm playing Freelancer and Americas Army currently, lately

I like to kill things. So serious sam, any tom clancy game, medal of honor, tribes, etc...all good.

As for racing games....colin mcrae

As for massive mutlip watchmacallit....never done it. Evercrack sounds like fun to a point, but I'm not about to commit that much time to a game. Star Wars Galaxies or whatever it is called sounds cool but I don't think my computer can handle it.

RPG...Neverwinter Nights.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=38..." target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>
June 30, 2003 7:35:54 AM

Quote:
PS. Unreal 2? Bleck. Pretty to look at, done in a day. I'd rather play through Half-Life for the 1 millionth time.

Keep in mind those were extremely generic games I was referencing. I also tend to be a sucker for pretty visuals. A great cure for my short attention span.

--

June 30, 2003 8:37:05 AM

I guess I didnt realize that it didnt have random generated maps. That isnt good. They mustve found it too difficult to implement.

The expansion packs never interested me either, I wonder what the multiplayer enhancements are for the one expansion though

June 30, 2003 8:52:47 AM

Playing Vietcong at the moment. I got Charlie in the treeline.

:eek:  My CPU runs so hot it creates a quark-gluon plasma :eek: 
July 1, 2003 6:12:00 AM

I love HOMM, always have. Haven't really played it in a while though. I have "the gathering storm" expantion, a couple of maps, 4 new creature, doesn't really add alot to the game but at least it does fix a couple of bugs, and improves the graphics a bit. Also the Multiplayer addin was really welcome :) 

Currently i play, Enter the matrix, Vietcong, Emperor.
Games i really wanna play again is Deus Ex, Indiana Jones emperor tome, AvP 2 and No one lives forever 2.

Does anyone know what the trick is to get past that helicopter scene in Enter the matrix at the airport?
July 1, 2003 7:27:56 AM

Before you do anything else, please click <A HREF="http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=3214" target="_new">here</A>.

The light cycle is so fun. Just think of the game Snake but Super Sized! Graphics are extremely clean. Stays true to the Tron Universe.

Both singleplayer and multiplayer light cycle levels are available on this demo. But multiplayer also has the jumping around on dissapearing platforms level which I didn't find too enjoying since I wasn't really aware of the controls and was too lazy to figure it out.

But multiplayer light cycle is extremely addictive. Even spectator mode is fun!

You guys should definately check this game out. Hopefully you've got broadband.

--

July 1, 2003 7:40:37 AM

The multi was the main reason I was looking to pickup that expansion.

I'm so goofy I didnt even realize HOMM4 doesnt have random mapping.. but honestly I lost my magic touch with HOMM after 2, I suck big time at 3/4. So I still play the campaigns.

July 1, 2003 7:47:51 AM

The biggest mistakes i made when i crossed over to 3 and 4 was mainly the changes in the monsters (You stick to old fav and only later realize they now suck big time), also you tend to choose battles you KNOW you can win. This was mainly becoz in older HOMM encounters the static armys was tough and had to be picked carefully. With the latest HOMM's you got to have a more of a go get em attitude, Speed is essential else your gonna get overwhelmed.

Ohh now i wanna play again ;) 
July 1, 2003 7:51:25 AM

i'll take your word for it :) 
d/l'ing now...

July 1, 2003 7:59:44 AM

You won't be dissapointed.

I can say that with confidence because I was skeptical of this game before I played it. I actually wasn't that interested in the download except to see how the graphics looked.

But I saw the genius in the light cycle game immediately.

--

July 1, 2003 8:04:42 AM

hmm i think i get what your saying. i did get overwhelmed playing homm3, seemed like they were coming out of everywhere. i admit im stuck in some old ways and its not winning me games. and ive always been to proud to move that difficulty switch to 'novice'. esp considering how good i was at homm1/2.. once i refamiliar with homm4 (so my turns don't take so long) i might private msg you for a game

July 1, 2003 8:06:54 AM

If you like Grim Fandango, which is a great game. Try Sanitarium, one of the weirdest and engrossing adventure games I have ever played.

Pris

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
July 1, 2003 8:18:37 AM

Cool,

Just Let me know in advance so i can hook my Game PC up.
July 1, 2003 9:44:32 AM

I just got the sapphire 9800pro so I played return to castle wolfenstein last week and just started soldier of fortune II this week. I'm a mass murderer already and the body count is only rising!
July 10, 2003 3:45:18 AM

Playing Undying, Morrowind, and about to install Enter the Matrix. I have to say Undying is one badass game and Morrowind is pretty fun. I found myself struggling in the beginning but once you get your guy pumped up a little and gets a lot more fun. The glass armor is extremelly sweet looking when you wear it. Also the graphics at night are amazing. I just hate traveling everywhere. Is Enter the Matrix any good at all?? I've read review after review saying it is dumb and a waste of money. Also hows homm4 compared to homm3?
July 10, 2003 3:50:21 AM

I am playing elite force 2, which rules and freelancer which is an awesome game, except for those stupid annoying blue nomad things. Freelancer finally brings up my respect for the space combat games, i just miss the whole cockpit and joystick thing sometimes.

A wise monkey never monkies with another monkey's monkey, unless another monkey monkies with another monkey's monkey before the wise monkey monkies with another monkey's monkey.
July 10, 2003 3:51:13 AM

I played a lot of First Person Shooter games, with my P4@2.6CGHz, 512MB DDR400 RAM, Ati Radeon 9500 128MB.
Games include counter-strike, medal of honor, etc..

"I Don't Got It,
Cause You Didn't Get It" - Anonymous
July 10, 2003 5:07:21 AM

I go through phases of playing:

Morrowind
Jedi Knight II
Battlefield 1942
GTA: Vice City
Delta Force 3 & BHD

I'm just biding my time until all the good games come out this fall and next spring so I can finally justify upgrading.
July 10, 2003 6:09:09 AM

i play mainly cs, i played vice city for a while till i beat it, now i play it only once in a while, usually just to play vigilante missions with the hunter/apache helicopter.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
July 10, 2003 7:06:10 AM

New:
D2 1.10 (it's still in beta though, but I'll resume my regular HC play again!)
July 10, 2003 7:58:21 AM

I'm trying to avoid getting into D2 again - it takes so much of my time =)
July 10, 2003 7:40:57 PM

two months ago it was neverwinter nights (when i had the time), lately its been command and conquer generals.

not really a FPS player...basically because i suck at them...
July 10, 2003 8:53:07 PM

I just recently got tired of Freelancer, it was a lot of fun though. Currently playing through Ghost Recon (nail-biter). Just started on Unreal II (nice graphics) and Postal II (not for the politically correct, it makes Vice City look like a Disney cartoon). I have Elite Force II ready to go, but haven't played yet. LAN game of choice is still StarCraft:BroodWar. :cool:

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. -Einstein</font color=blue>
July 10, 2003 9:25:00 PM

Postal 2 has the feel of a high-school-videogame-making-project. Graphics are laughable.

Currently playing Tron 2.0(lightcycles...play as "Dirk", you don't want to play me), GTA 3 w/REALGTA mod

--

July 10, 2003 9:59:23 PM

Quote:
Postal 2 has the feel of a high-school-videogame-making-project. Graphics are laughable.

Yeah, the reviews all trashed it, and rightfully so.
July 10, 2003 11:18:20 PM

Hey Esso, I've downloaded the D2 patch, but I havent installed it. What does it do/change? The last time I looked at Blizzard.com, they hadn't released the changes. Is it anything worth messing with?

And, I dont think the graphics for Postal 2 are <b>that</b> bad, but thats not the point anyways. :)  Cat silencer, hahahaha.
July 11, 2003 12:55:29 AM

The Diablo 2 1.10 patch does the following according to Battle.net (this is a little out of date, but most should be true):
-------------------------------------------
Diablo II 1.10 Patch Update
In the process of upgrading our Web servers, some incomplete and partially inaccurate information pertaining to the upcoming Diablo II 1.10 patch was uploaded to the Arreat Summit. This information reflected changes to Diablo II that in reality have not taken place and may not take place at all, because the 1.10 patch is still a work in progress. We have since restored the correct information to the Arreat Summit, which is accurate as of the most recent patch (Diablo II 1.09).
Because some of the incorrect information has started to circulate around the Web, we felt it would be best to post an update highlighting our current plans for the Diablo II 1.10 patch. Please note that this information is accurate as of now, but it might not reflect what will be found in the final version of the patch. We will be posting further updates about the Diablo II 1.10 patch up until its release, so please watch the Arreat Summit for any new information.

The Diablo II 1.10 patch is currently running through our QA testing procedure. Although we don't have a release date set, we are working hard to get the patch out as soon as possible.

Seasonal Ladder Characters - A new ladder system will let players compete on a seasonal basis. At the beginning of each season, the ladder-based world of Diablo II will be "reborn" and players will be able to create new characters to start their climbs again on equal footing. For the duration of the ladder season - which has yet to be determined - these ladder characters will exist in a new economy, separate from the other non-ladder Battle.net Realm Diablo II characters. When a ladder season ends, all ladder characters from that season will join the pool of non-ladder Battle.net Realm Diablo II characters.

More Challenging Gameplay - Diablo II players who adventure in the Nightmare and Hell difficulty levels will experience a world in which the monsters have become more powerful and substantially harder to defeat. Players may need to develop new tactics or enlist aid from others in order to face these strengthened minions. The monster improvements include enhanced AI, more skills, greater damage, and higher resistances.

A New World - Players can expect to encounter more randomly distributed unique monsters in every locale and even a few guest monsters where players wouldn't normally expect them. In addition, characters above level 70 will require increasingly more playtime in order to gain levels.

Enhanced Skills - The skills of each player-character class have been thoroughly revised. On top of that, a new system of "synergies" has been added to each character's skill set. Allotting a point to certain skills will result in synergy bonuses to one or more of that character's corresponding skills. After the patch is released, visit The Arreat Summit for more details.
Item Improvements

Enhanced Class-Specific Sets - The class-specific sets in Diablo II: Lord of Destruction have been significantly improved - some with abilities never before seen in the game.
New Unique Items - Around 100 new unique items have been added to the world (many being elite uniques), some of which can be found only in either single-player, TCP/IP, and Open games or in 1.10 Ladder games.
New Unique Item Properties - Some of the all-new unique item properties introduce entirely new twists to the world of Diablo II. Imagine a Barbarian who can shape-shift into a Werewolf.
New Rune Words and Horadric Cube Recipes - The patch will introduce new Rune Words and new Horadric Cube recipes. Some Horadric Cube recipes will work only in either single-player, TCP/IP, and Open games or in 1.10 Ladder games.
Improved Treasure Drops - The quality of items dropped by regular monsters has been greatly increased.
Improved Quest Rewards - The first time a player defeats an Act-ending boss monster, the creature will yield significantly better treasure than in subsequent encounters. Some of the other quest rewards have been improved as well.
Better Gambling Odds - The average quality of items won via gambling has been improved.
New Anti-Cheat Measures - We have addressed some of the ways that "grief" players have used hacks or exploited features/bugs in Diablo II to unfairly attack others. We have taken measures to address a number of existing cheats, hacks, and illegal items with an eye toward preventing such cheating in the future.

Bug Fixes and Other Enhancements - Once the patch has been released, refer to the final patch text for a more detailed list of bugs fixed, changes made, and new features added.

New Game-world Event - Players can trigger a secret new quest in Hell-level games. We don't want to spoil the surprise... so, we'll just give you a clue.
Unique Class-Specific Barbarian Helm Revealed
Wolfhowl is a Unique Item created specifically for the Barbarian that has been added in the 1.10 patch for Diablo II. This ancestral helm allows the Barbarian to transform himself into a Werewolf while gaining the skills Lycanthropy and Feral Rage. He also gains the ability to summon Dire Wolves to fight by his side.

This screen shot is from the latest release candidate for the 1.10 patch of Diablo II that is currently being run through our QA testing procedure. Although we do not have a release date set for this patch, we are working hard to get it out as soon as possible.

New Diablo II Game World Event
Players can trigger a new, secret quest in Hell difficulty games. While we don’t want to spoil the surprise, we did want to give you a clue to get you started when the 1.10 patch for Diablo II releases. Note: this event is ONLY available to realm characters and does not trigger in single-player or open games.

This screen shot is from the latest release candidate for the 1.10 patch of Diablo II that is currently being run through our QA testing procedure. Although we do not have a release date set for this patch, we are working hard to get it out as soon as possible.
July 11, 2003 2:45:40 AM

Wow, they changed, added, etc a lot! Seems like most patchs just fix bugs and balance things, this looks like its done quite a bit. Thanks for the info sirak.
July 11, 2003 2:48:22 AM

No prob - yeah, it is a pretty good patch. Its like a mini-expansion almost. I'd say the big 2 changes are:

1) Its much harder to get to a really high level
2) New powerful items, especially in the form of sets, which can actually give you a different character model
July 11, 2003 3:08:46 AM

Change #3 is that Hell difficulty is now <b>much</b> harder. My bro has played the beta extensively and has been killed in ActI Hell with charactors that have beaten Baal in Hell difficulty (and he's no slouch, this is using all the best items, rings, charms, but no hacked items).

Change #4 "Skill Synergies" make some low level spells as powerful as a lot of 30th level spells, increased firepower for casters.

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
-Einstein</font color=blue>
July 11, 2003 5:41:37 PM

I'll try to find that somewhere. I remember when it came out but it didnt catch my eye at the time.
I hope they come out with some new adventure games.. but I think Full Throttle 2 will satisfy me

July 11, 2003 5:43:34 PM

I wish morrowind wouldve included some kind of LAN play, so I could at least play with one other person.

You gotta admit, that game gets lonely

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 07/11/03 01:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 11, 2003 9:03:53 PM

Dude, GamerADD SUCKS, it most certianly does not rule. I have it, and it's costing me a FORTUNE. =P

<font color=red> Mix it with the relish! </font color=red>
July 11, 2003 9:07:16 PM

Enter the Matrix was on my machine for about 2 days. It stinks. Control is awful, graphic glitches, can't see alot of times, and how the FOOK do you use that weapon select method?? geez

<font color=red> Mix it with the relish! </font color=red>
July 12, 2003 12:50:18 AM

If you're interested in playing "Enter the Matrix", go pick up Max Payne for 10 bucks and download the Kung Fu mod. It's a MUCH better play.
July 12, 2003 12:59:53 PM

I must recomend America's Army or ArmyOps. besides being a great multiplayer game, it's comletely free and not to mention patriotic!

Coppermine, Banias, Opteron, Prescott, Barton... How 'bout investing less in the CPU and more in its name?
July 14, 2003 10:51:48 PM

"Doesn't anybody have gamer-ADD like me? All this talk about mmorpg this, and strategy game that. A little Everquest here, some HHOM there. All I gotta say is: BOOORRRRING!"

I also find RPGs (not only MMORPGs) and round-based strategy games boring, but I like some real time strategie games like the Command&Conquer series (didnt play Generals yet, because I dont have money now) and games like Warcraft III. I also like some simulations like the Sim-City games (except Sim-City 4).

I also like FPS games (I currrently play UT2k3) and sport-games (soccer-games and soccer-manager-games), but I find racing games boring (maybe because I am not good at them).

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Epox 8rda+
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
2x256 MB PC2700
Creative GeForce 4 Ti 4800 (4600 Chip)
Chieftech Case
WD 80GB/8MB HDD
16x48 DVD-ROM
20x10x32 Burner
July 18, 2003 11:58:32 AM

I've been playing a lot lately, medal of honor plus expansion, command & conquer, freelancer, gta vice city, slinter cell. I'm currently into FPS and strategy.
July 19, 2003 11:59:50 AM

Presently Aliens Versus Predator 2 Primal Hunt Expansion pack, I'm A FPS fan period, just finished the Will Rock demo, going to get the game itself, it was pretty cool, its like a Serious Sam clone.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
July 19, 2003 8:55:39 PM

Actually my time has taken a major detour to Everquest and Neverwinter nights. EQ is old, I find it kinda crappy but I like it alot, I never tried it until recently (I play on a free account) and its got me really excited for world of warcraft.
Neverwinter is also a game I just started that I shouldve months ago, talk about a kickass game. I wish someone wouldve thrown it in my face and made me buy it on release!

As far as FPS, the AvP games were always so cool because of the different races, but I sucked as the predator cuz i needed to use his powers so much but I liked him the best.
I have UT2003 installed but I never play it, it reminds me of Q3A (my favorite FPS) with better gfx.

I wouldnt mind going back and playing quake 1 again, that was my fave quake due to the co op multi that you could do..
and heres to wishing that doom3 has multi gameplay like q3a. :frown:
I have serious sam 2, its fun in co op multi.. i didnt like it in deathmatch very much though. Q3A still rules there.

July 20, 2003 2:45:42 AM

Just graduated from the demo, of Will Rock, to the real game, the real game is way more intense than the demo, and a lot more exciting, and if anyone thats played the demo, gets to the demo location in the full game, and thinks, I'm going to breeze right through this part, they're in for a big surprise.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
!