Save Tom's, Stop SOPA ......... Oppose SOPA! Now!

Burned By Fleeing Customers, GoDaddy No Longer Just ‘Doesn’t Support’ But Actually

“OPPOSES” SOPA

scaled.php

Just in time for the aptly named “Dump GoDaddy” day, our favorite PR piñata GoDaddy just emailed a number of press, with a fresh statement from new CEO Warren Adelman.

From the email …

The statement is from our newly appointed CEO, who makes it clear, we don’t just ‘not support SOPA,’ Go Daddy OPPOSES SOPA.

“We have observed a spike in domain name transfers, which are running above normal rates and which we attribute to GoDaddy’s prior support for SOPA, which was reversed,” said Go Daddy CEO Warren Adelman. “Go Daddy opposes SOPA because the legislation has not fulfilled its basic requirement to build a consensus among stake-holders in the technology and Internet communities. Our company regrets the loss of any of our customers, who remain our highest priority, and we hope to repair those relationships and win back their business over time.”

In the statement GoDaddy admits to seeing a “spike” in domain transfers due to its SOPA support — I’ve emailed them to put an actual number to the spike and have yet to hear back. For those that haven’t been following along, domain registrar GoDaddy removed itself from the official list of SOPA supporting companies over the weekend after ambiguously saying it “didn’t support” SOPA the week prior.

Because its support eventually led to a mass exodus of customers, the company faced accusations of purposefully slowing down domain transfers, and even got to the point where it had representatives call users transferring domains, begging them to stay.

Not the most amazing situation, for any business. So now GoDaddy straight up “OPPOSES” SOPA (ALL CAPS theirs) – But is a statement like that enough to bring customers back? Or is this another case of too little/too late?

--------------------
http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/29/burned-by-fleeing-customers-godaddy-no-longer-just-doesnt-support-but-actually-opposes-sopa/

Solution
If Richard Stallman says SOPA is bad, I will agree.

;)

Down with SOPA! (whatever it is!)

Seriously, if anyone thinks that BoM can be responsible for the content posted on these forums, they are sadly mistaken. I would hate to see Tom's Hardware banned because some spammer posts some link to an illegal file-sharing website or the such, even accidental copyright infringement... Unless we employ a moderation team like in a dystopian regime where we have censors...

I'm against piracy, but all this bill seems to be aiming to do is to shut down the internet as we know it. If they did something to incur the wrath of the beard of Stallman and the EFF something is amiss about this bill...

Well, u know, it was introduced in the House as H.R. 3261 by Lamar Smith (Republican-TX) on October 26, 2011

It has written lobby($$$) all over it, and politicians can include all they want in the bill like this. That's why they like it. They don't really care about anything, but their career as a politician.

Why they are allowed to serve more than 4 years?
pfff.gif

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
If Richard Stallman says SOPA is bad, I will agree.

;)

Down with SOPA! (whatever it is!)

Seriously, if anyone thinks that BoM can be responsible for the content posted on these forums, they are sadly mistaken. I would hate to see Tom's Hardware banned because some spammer posts some link to an illegal file-sharing website or the such, even accidental copyright infringement... Unless we employ a moderation team like in a dystopian regime where we have censors...

I'm against piracy, but all this bill seems to be aiming to do is to shut down the internet as we know it. If they did something to incur the wrath of the beard of Stallman and the EFF something is amiss about this bill...

Solution

fambeu

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I know im gona get some hate for this comment but oh well
like was said this bill was pass and more like them will keep coming and keep getting passed and its just the way it will be $ is all the world revolves round
There is only a couple problems with it all and that is one. there will be more people hacking and getting around it all which will just make more and more hackers (black hats) two. the us is a country founded by rebels and rebels fought to keep this country "free" unlike china and country's alike which have been under communist rule for thousands of years and know no different. unfortunately it will take all this to get much worse for people to stand back up

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
^About China...

It's not North Korea. It's semi-capatialist. I could write about ten little disclaimers about your comment, but I won't. That statement is very generalised and probably offensive.

But I understand what your talking about. We lost most of our freedoms with the new terrorism laws.

Al Gore: SOPA Is a Threat to the Internet

During a speech at a CareerBuilder event last night Al Gore voiced his concerns about the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).

Responding to a question from the audience, the former US Vice President said that while content creators have legitimate concerns, SOPA is not the right answer.

“In our world today there is hardly anything more important [...] than to save and protect the vibrancy and freedom of the Internet,” Gore said.

“The Internet is bringing life back to democracy.”

“Anything that would threaten the vibrancy and freedom of the Internet and the future, I’m against.”

-----------

http://torrentfreak.com/al-gore-sopa-is-a-threat-to-the-internet-120106/

20120106200949.png

No SOPA - Extensions @ https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gagmjmoimnkgoijihaaeodbefhcapjcj
Be notified if you're visiting the website of a company that supports the dangerous Stop Online Piracy Act legislation.
When you visit a site of a known Stop Online Piracy Act supporter's domain name, you'll see a notice bar at the top of the page letting you know.

Boycott? Nasty letter time? You decide.

by Andy Baird (@ajbaird) and Tony Webster (@webster)

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
i think SOPA is needed ...

Let me tell you why ... because piracy is DESTROYING the IP creators of this world ... i mean it , it's tottally demolishing them , and SOMETHING , ANYTHING needs to be done ... if it's too strong , well we can work on weakning it later , but this far NOTHING has stopped the piracy judgernaught ..

i'm sorry that many of you are disapointed that the free buffet is about to end , but let's get real , IT NEEDS to ...

SOPA will pass , and let's all be HONEST , SOPA needs to pass ... none of us may LIKE it , but i think all of us can UNDERSTAND why it has come about .

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010

sure , IP means intellectual property , movies , books , music , video games etc .

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010

wow , where did you come from ? are you new to the tech world ?

MAKE MY CASE?????????????? :pt1cable:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NO lol ......