Plz Help: GA-7DXR/Raid/Windows issue.

G

Hello!
I recently purchased a Gigabyte GA-7DXR motherboard and am having a windows98/98 SE installation problem that I am hoping someone here might be able to help me with.

I am not a newbie to building systems, but this is the first time I have dealt with a raid mobo (or raid in general) and I think that may be the source of my problems.

Equipment being used:
Mobo: GA-7DXR
HD: 2 western digital 30 gigabyte, 7200 rpm drives, 100 etc
Sound: I have disabled onboard sound and have a SB Live 5.1 installed.
CD/DVD: Toshiba 16x (Secondary IDE master, the CDRW will eventually go on the primary ide master)
Video: ATI Radeon 64 mb DDR
Ram: 512 megs of Crucial DDR, Registered, ECC (ECC turned off in bios)
Network and CDRW: I have both but have not installed them.

Everything (unbless otherwise stated)is installed, the bios settings have been made and jumpers/dips are set (including the two appropriate raid jumpers).

THE PROBLEM: I have used fastrack and created a performance array, subsequently fdisk'ed it (one partition, max size) and formated it (with and without /s at various times). The hard drive, after fdisk and format, is fully readable and, when formated as a system disk, is fully bootable. HOWEVER, whenever I try to install Windows (98 or 98 SE) I keep getting various errors almost immediately that won't let me do an install. The setup ALWAYS gets passed the scandisk check for errors (no problems). Then it starts hainvg errors that include user.exe problems, cant find vga.drv and a host of other random can't finds. Sometimes it says corrupt packed file and exits back to dos etc. Once it said something like problem with subkern. The real difficulty for me is that there isn't a particular issue that happens consistently. Its one of these things or the other. (Also, my windows install disks are legitimate 98 and 98 S/E disks ... so that shouldnt be an issue).
I believe this is somehow related to the raid, but am not sure. I briefly started installing a non raid (just regular ide hd install) to see if it would work and it looked like it would.

I have built computers for a number of years and never experienced a problem like this. Normally all of my windows problems occur after install <G>.

Any help GREATLY appreicated.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I have also had problems with this, in a non-RAID board. It is most likely a windows problem so I would suggest that you place all you settings to default in the mother board, take out everything but a graphics card keyboard and mouse and see if that helps. This also includes any on board options such as your sound. If you can’t get it to work on RAID, try installing it on another small (2-3 GB drive and have that drive work on the Primary IDE bus. Another suggestion would be to upgrade to Windows 2000, as this should not run as quirky as 98.

If it works for you then don't fix it.